Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can anyone ID these tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by v194, Mar 17, 2012.

1. v194

v194
    from The South

2. aircap

aircap

3. Mickey Thompsons. the original 1966 Batmobile had them too

4. v194

v194
    from The South

They are not Micky Thompson's. The same photo was shown to M/T recently and they deny ever making a tire like that.

5. Um...Isn't Mickey Thompson dead?

6. Soviet

Soviet

They. As in the company.

7. v194

v194
    from The South

Exactly, the company says they never made a tread like that. Was I lied to? I don't think so but I have to take their expertise on this subject.

8. Every reference to those tires I've ever seen say they were M/T's so careful with the " they are NOT" line, My bet is they are M/T's. Memories fade, 45 years is a long time.

9. Tweed Deluxe

Tweed Deluxe
    from England

[​IMG]

Batmobile with M/Ts.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  10. v194

v194
    from The South

Just reporting what the company said. I would assume that they would know if they manufactured them or not so I have to trust them in light of that. Your right, memories fade, but all of the references to the tires being M/T's are related to Barris and his memory has been proven unreliable.

It amazes me that they have not cropped up on any car other than a Barris creation. Certainly they were bought and used on some other cars that were non Barris creations?

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

One of my pet peeves is the use of the word "lied" when describing someone who spoke inaccurately..........but not on purpose. A "lie" is when someone KNOWINGLY says something that isn't so.

I don't know if these are M/T's or not, but I can readily believe the possibility that whoever you talked to at M/T does not know what they are talking about. It's been a long time since these were produced, they were no doubt a low volume item and it's likely no one is still with M/T today that was then.

Ray

12. Willy301

Willy301

Remember, companies sometimes deny making something that was made as an experimental or limited production, so they do not have to explain to you why they will not make you a set. As others have said, they may also not have anyone there that even remembers making that tire tread...I doubt that further inquiry will get you anywhere, even finding one with M/T on the sidewall will probably still get you the same response with a "well that can be photoshopped" comment added in. You might send that pic to Coker and see if they can research it, or if they plan on making it, although it looks better suited to sand, as it would not shed water very well, and without studs, I think it would leave your car like a hog on ice.....

13. Tweed Deluxe

Tweed Deluxe
    from England

According to Batmobile lore and George Barris (so take this with a pinch of salt), they were "experimental" M/T Indy tyres and cost $1000 each. One blew on the first day of filming (that is fact), so they were replaced with regular Firestones. The only photos of MT's Indy cars I've found show them to have Goodyears.

14. v194

v194
    from The South

Very true. The possibility remains that M/T was/is just not willing to research it further so they may say "we did not make it."
    The reason for the post is that this is such a wide community it was hoped that someone had direct experience with these tires and or with M/T directly that might know.

Coker tire has been notified and they said "We are researching it I will get back to you."

15. v194

v194
    from The South

Thanks for the info. I do not take anything George says as authority so you are right take it with a pinch of salt. I have talked/met George many times and while he has always been nice his recollection for detail by age or design leaves something to be desired. So to say it nicely, I don't consider his a reliable source on this matter.

16. henry29

henry29

If the original batmobile had a set that was replaced after one blew out, maybe the tires on the car pictured are the original ones off the batmobile.

Maybe there was only one set made?

17. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Firestone maybe??? But I'm going with the Batmobile tires.

Attached Files:

18. I think she's stripping those lugs nuts...but who cares.

19. henry29

henry29

Hmmm, so there's a car in that pic somewhere?

20. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  21. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Barris built both the ZZR and the Batmobile, I'd say after the blow-out on the Batty 2 of the remaining tires were put to use on the ZZR.

Scotty.