Register now to get rid of these ads!

AD Guys what heater are you running

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jasonpickett, Mar 18, 2012.

1. jasonpickett

jasonpickett

I did search the AD truck section and couldn't come up with anything. I have a 50 chevy I am working on. I was wondering what were you running for heat. I would like to keep it compact and also not a lot of knobs. If I could have my way I would be happy with just defrost so the windows wont fog or not run it at all, but the wife wants heat. Also if possible I would like to get one that you can change the heater core if it goes bad. Like a off the shelf heater core. But please let me know. I really appreciate the info.

Jason

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. Mark Karger

Mark Karger
    from houston TX

.45Colt Mark 4 series 80 Combat Elite & a .44 Magnum Ruger

3. jasonpickett

jasonpickett

Not that kind of heat but nice heat nonetheless

4. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I am also intersted in this I have a 54 and would at least like defrost. Lets face it the cab is small enough defrost would most likely warm rhe interior.

5. I'm doing a few mods on a customers '48 3100 pickup at present. One of the items items on his list was a basic heater/demister. I will be using the small heater that normally lives under the center console and warms the rear passengers in a mid '90's toyota 4runner. I know ,I know it's not exactly hamb friendly but once installed ( inside of the firewall) it will not be noticeable.
    These are easy to duct for demist and heat and they have a Water valve built in so you just run a cable to control ( or in some applications you could just reach under the dash?).
    If anyone is interested I'll post some pics of the unit tomorrow and some of the install as it happens during the week.

6. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

I've got the Chev recirculating heater and two Trico vacuum fans in my '51. The fans can swivel to cool or defrost.

7. dan sutton

dan sutton

Bone stock '48 heat/defrost unit made by Harrison. 6 volt, but runs great with 12 volt power...so far. Compact, and have the core out for leak repair right now.

8. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

HEAT ??????????????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. 65-72 Ford truck heaters work great....all inside on the firewall, defrost ducts and 3 speed switch.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  10. jasonpickett

jasonpickett

May you please post some pics. I would like to see. Or you can send them to me if that is better.

Thanks,
    Jason

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

12. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

13. In Phoenix all I have found needed so far has been the heat from my 216

14. Jason , will get pics up tomorrow for you . These things have a 2 speed blower in them too .

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

This thread has potential.:p

16. jasonpickett

jasonpickett

Thanks I really appreciate it. Also could you post pics of how you ran the defroster if you do.

17. Heater ?? Heater ??? Don't need no stinkin Heater!!!

18. Not sure just how available they might be on your side of the pond but I'm using an Austin Mini unit in my '50.
    It's tucked right up behing the speaker grill on the dash but doesn't interfere with the cowl vent.
    There's a single control panel with an on/off for the fan,a slider for air direction and two outlets for the demister hoses which can hook up to the original dash vents.
    It's compact,self contained and doesn't look too out of place IMO.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26014986@N07/4672957817/in/set-72157606265799089

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26014986@N07/4673584976/in/set-72157606265799089

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

vintage heaters are cool. I can't see any good reason for not running the original fresh air type heater or the round one that mounts to the firewall.... or any number of vintage aftermarket units.

20. Truckedup

Truckedup

I have an aftermarket small box heater.Might be 1960's .Painted it with black wrinkle paint so it looks like an old camera :D

21. trmel3

trmel3
    from new jersey

stock for the ad is a harrison fresh air unit that bolts to inner firewall an righthand side of cowl . there is a panel that is bolted there an may need to b removed if not equipt with that heater. there is also a smaller unit that looks like a snaial with a round coe. hope this helps

22. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU

Here are pics of original type heaters available from chevy in the day. The first pic is the recirculating heater, the second is the deluxe, or fresh air heater. I've got the recirculating one on my truck. One flip of the switch takes you from heat to defrost. The only other switch controls the fan speed.

50_chevy_pu_014.jpg

heater19lg.jpg

Here's a shot of the heater in the truck.

50%20chevy%20pu%20237.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  23. Pics for Jason ,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

total length 14" , width 7" and when mounted it stands 8" off the firewall.
    Will mount inside firewall tucked up behind dash so it don't stick out like Dog's Jewels !

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Those cabs getting stiffling hot in the summer even with the cowl vent. And I live in Ohio. I'd be more concerned about keeping mommy cool. I ran a Vintage air and heat in mine and it was tucked away so no one would be the wiser. Used the old dash vent to push the air and most of the original knobs to control it. Not as traditional I know but alot more wife friendly. Early 90 build.

Attached Files:

25. Once had access to a mid 70's f600 truck heater. Was almost a bolt in and was free.

26. jasonpickett

jasonpickett

WHere can I get one of these at and can the be rebuilt pretty easy? I know they have plastic ones something like this on ebay.

27. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU

The standard, or recirculating, heater is easy to rebuild. The only issue is if you have a bad core. A lot of radiator shops don't like to mess with them.

I see them on occassion on ebay (none currently of course). You might check the local junkyards as well as place WTB adds on hamb, the stovebolt page, classic parts of america, etc.

You might also contact Jim Carter and ask if they have used ones for sale.

Happy hunting!

Ken

28. 73super

73super

I'd go with a vintage heater. You can get new heater cores to match up and you can always get a 12V motor to replace the 6 volt if that's what you want. Not that hard to adapt some kind of defrost setup to go with.

29. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Fifteen winters in a dd only vehicle. Changed out the 6 volt blower motor, stock rectangle heater core, this Sears Allstate is ready to go for 60 more years.

[​IMG]

30. This is what im useing, it works great pulls air from the side just like a stock one and also gives you the ability to have a vent on that side. and goes around recess on the firewall. I will post a pic later today when i get home