Register now to get rid of these ads!

Peal-n-seal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dentboys, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Dentboys

Dentboys
    from California

I am currently looking for a inexpensive sound deader for my 51 car. I read about a roofing product that works well, and its cheap than dynomat. Has anybody used it, some like it some says it stinks

2. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i bought some at lowes that comes in 6'' wide rolls that has little or no oder. at some point you've just got to try stuff!

3. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

I used a product called Fat man "rattle trap", it works out to being about half the price of Dynamat. Bought it on evilbay.

4. justinj

justinj

5. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Peel and seal is great. There is no lingering odor at all

6. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I used FatMat Rattle Trap Extreme, cheap and seems to be working good.

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Based on earlier readings on the HAMB, I've been planning to use it on the interior of my Falcon; but I'll monitor here just to make sure I don't learn anything new.

Fatmat is an affordable alternative to Dynomat that is intended for automotive use; it also gets good reviews.

-Dave

8. das858

das858

I used the peal and seal in my truck and would recommend it highly.

9. I used fat mat in my El Camino and it works great.

[​IMG]

10. 427c.i.

427c.i.

I used Frost King insulation from Lowes in an OT car. No smell, easy to work with, adhesive on one side. My interior guy had no problem using spray glue over the top of the foil to hold my carpet in place where needed. I used three rolls to do a mid size late 60's coupe. A year and a half later and NO problems with it. One thing I did do was use some 3m spray adhesive on the adhesive side of the mat and in the car to make sure I had a tight bond, basically doubled the adhesive.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  11. silversink

silversink

I used the same matting from Lowes and am real happy with it. Put it in double thick and its real quiet.

12. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I used the Home Depot brand in my 50 Ford coupe wife's 51 Chevy 53 Henry J and my 66 GMC truck. At the time it was $12 a roll. It works pretty well although the Ford gets pretty hot where the exhaust runs and without carpet my boot removed the aluminum in the spot where it rests where the gas pedal is. I think two rolls did my truck and 3 did the Ford. It holds really well and once it's stuck to itself it's hard to remove and leave some of it behind.
    114119.jpg

13. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Great Ideas here!

14. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I get the Peel and Seal where I work at employee discount.

Used a small beveled edge metal roller to press it in place and you can't get it back up! Read the specs back and forth between the products and am very satisfied............

Attached Files:

15. jmpowie

jmpowie

I used the lowes stuff before, no smell. The only problem is when you put it on the roof, it tends to fall down in the hot sun.

16. RatPin

RatPin

I personally prefer raamat. I've seen peel n seal fail some heat and adhesion tests. If I was super tight on money I might consider it for a horizontal floor surface but would not use it on overhead or vertical surfaces.

17. Dentboys

Dentboys
    from California

Thanks for the thoughts.

18. slammed

slammed

19. slammed

slammed

20. BlackLion

BlackLion
    from Nashville

I'd swear by it. No smell. Cheap. We are still talking about the peel n seal right?

21. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

I like the peel and seal and the fatmat. It all depends on your budget. You can't go wrong with either. The only complaint I have with peel and seal is the 6" wide roll. If it was 12" it would be perfect. A lil 3M adhesive on the vertical areas is a good idea.

22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm thinking of doing this in my wife's '50 Ford. Can I use it inside doors and on the roof inside? I kinda want this far to be quiet and somewhat comfy to drive for her.

23. Some great ideas here. I just did Dynamate on a customers car. Nice stuff, but VERY pricey!

24. madgrinder

madgrinder

Meh... I use roll-on truck bedliner. It is an excellent sound deadener, insulator and rustproofer.

25. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

I did, but I used some extra 3M spray adhesives to help hold it.

26. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

in the old day people used tar. the inside of my 40 coupe is loaded with it from the factory. what a mess when you want to work on something though.

27. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

They do make it in 12 and 36 inch wide rolls. It's called Flashband and you can find it at most Roofing Supply companies. We carry one made by a company called Hardcastle and every now and then guys come in asking for it for sound systems. It's pretty good stuff. It designed as an underlayment for the ridge areas on a tile roof. It's available in aluminum back or black back.

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

when using anything inside roof take into account clearance for the metal bows used to hold headliner up.

29. cryobug

cryobug

30. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I heard eastwood has a sound deadning product also.