Register now to get rid of these ads!

Class with Attitude

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ed "Axle" II, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Ed "Axle" II

Ed "Axle" II
    from Evans,CO

In 1956 My Grandma went out to get her a new car It was a Playmouth Belvedere.

She drove this car until 1991 that when Dad got her in to a 1972 Playmouth I don't think she wanted to give it up, After all she lived in Los Angeles ,CA and she drove all over the USA in it, but in the long run she did!!

In 1996 I was at My Dad's ( Bob Li'l Axle Stewart) for Christmas we had been talking about this pink car out in his shop, I had no clue that my Dad and Grandma where going to give it to me for Christmas.

So Dad brings it out to Colorado I think in May I did a little work on it to get it up and running It had a 277 wedge head the miles on this car when I got it where some where from 150,000 to maybe as high as 250,000 maybe even more after all she drove it just about every day.

After getting it cleaned up and doing an oil change and a few other things that a the car needed, it became my every day driver.

Latter that year I met up with my Dad and about 150 more cars in WY we where going NE about 600 miles give or take. So we take off and Dad forgets that I don't know where we are stopping to eat and gets on I 80 doing about I don't know because I gave up when I hit 95 mph that trip was a lot of fun. Dad in Grandpa hot rod and Me driving Grandma's now my Car.

I had a lot fun in this car when I was kid and even had more fun when I got older.

when the 277 wedge head would not go any more I had to park this pink car With the pink Panther in the rear window.

As for rebuilding the 277 wedge head the cost to do so is way to high. Most of the part from what I have read so far have to be made.

Well it's time to put her back on the "Class with Attitude" and that right I name it. This is a car that will have it own tires on the road and I will be just like My Grandma and drive this thing every where

First the pink had to go it's new look will be a Blue and white I want a 360 that's where the Attitude is going to be it will run and it has to sound good. the wide whites are going to stay I am not going to change the looks of this car it has a class about it that you just don't see much any more

This is the year I start the work that needs to be done I just hope I can get the home time to do it
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

You need to pay attention to your writing. It is really distracting with all of the typos.

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Great story! I'd be awfully tempted to keep the pink and just make the 360 hotter to compensate. :D

-Dave

4. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Eddie......Keep the pink!

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I disagree. The lousy spelling grammar and punctuation give freshness and vigor to his writing. If you corrected everything to schoolmarm standards it would be boring. Now it is full of interest, mystery and intrigue.

For example what is a 277 wage head? Someone who gets a kick out of time and a half? Things like this fascinate me and keep me amused for hours.

Or take this specimen:

"I had no clue that my Dad and Grandma where going to give it to for Christmas."

The oldest man in the world could not tell for sure what that was supposed to mean. Right off the bat, there is probably an extra "h" in "where". This changes "where going" to "were going to give", a totally different statement. But this is kid's stuff.

Now, we have either

"I had no clue that my Dad and Grandma were going to give it to (me) for Christmas."

Or maybe

"I had no clue (who) my Dad and Grandma were going to give it to for Christmas."

Either way it is a great story with hours of harmless fun for everyone.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  6. Moondog13

Moondog13

I second this! :D

7. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Cool car enjoy it.

8. Grandma cars are too damn cool ... keep it pink and if anyone gives you shit then just tell them "its a California car" ... no big!

9. change that pink and I will brake your legs and steel the tires, respect the Mopar ! have fun from Grants Pass.

10. Gas mask

Gas mask
    from Canada

Get er' back on the road man, that car has too much history to sit and rot.

Good luck!

11. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Don't change the color! 360 'attitude' = ok!

12. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

My aunt had a car just like that and in 1975 I was selling it on my used car lot. I explained the whole "old Lady" thing and the guy, while leaning on the fender, said "ya! i'v heard that before start it up!"

I said "It's Running Now! He diden't buy it!

13. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

great story. keep the pink and i would just rebuild the original engine. dont mess up a nice ride like that.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a two tone green Plaza tudor similar to that with a Dodge Red Ram Hemi in it when I got drafted in 1967 and Dad's landlord had it hauled off when I was in Viet Nam in 1968. I should have towed it back over here and stuck it behind the barn with my 51 Merc.
    I'd be inclined to want to keep it pink as there is a story to be told with the factory pink color while the blue would have no real story behind it except you never liked the pink.

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Man, how fine that baby would decked out in "TEXAN" trim!

16. hey...I can't spells either.....keep the pink....and join the 55/56 Mopar forummmnnn

17. Ed "Axle" II

Ed "Axle" II
    from Evans,CO

Are we back in school or what?

18. Ed "Axle" II

Ed "Axle" II
    from Evans,CO

"texan" ??????????

19. Ed "Axle" II

Ed "Axle" II
    from Evans,CO

I will go back and fix my miss spelled words and after I get some sleep. I would hate to see you all go crazy over it after all. But then only one man could do no wrong or so they say are any of you him?

20. Dude It is like Sid Barret is writing your stories,but,I love them....kind of..

Any way, It is my personal opinion that, if you keep the pink and white color combo and drive it around,It will have more attitude than a flat black with skulls driven by Chuck Norris.
    I definitely respect a guy that drives a pink car,especially if it was grandma's car.
    Thanks,now Im going to looking for a 56 Valeverde for the "wife".
    Very fine car.

21. Deuces

Deuces

I agree.... Keep the factory colors... I think it looks neat!.. ;)

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Don't let one "grammar expert" get to you, Ed. There always has to be one in the crowd. I think it is how they compensate.............some people can build nice cars, others like to write correctly :rolleyes:

Nice car and great story. Looking forward to following along on the build.

Don

23. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Keep it pink (to honor your Granma). Then put in the hot engine ( for the attitude). That car drove a long way as it is. Leave the car, just give it even more of your Granmas attitude. It takes a real man to wear pink, or so my young nephew said when he showed up in a pink shirt! You will be fine. What could be better than blowing someone's doors off in a pink car! As soon as you change the colour it's stops being Granmas old car.
    Just my forts.

24. Keep the pink!

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Put me in with the keep it pink crowd. Anyone who thinks paint is a gay colour has only ever seen it on a gay car, and your car is absolutely, positively in no way shape or form gay.
    After all, it was good enough for grandma and Elvis.:cool:
    Paul

26. Join Date: Aug 2010
    Re: Class with Attitude
    You need to pay attention to your writing. It is really distracting with all of the typos.......................OBAMA'S DISTURBING, TYPOS, HARDLY!!

27. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ed, your writing is great as it is. You might want to proof read and make sure you are really saying what you meant to say. Don't let the critics stop you from saying what you want to say.

For the rest of you, go criticize Shakespeare. His grammar stunk and he couldn't spell for sour grapes. "Porpentine" for porcupine, forsooth what a rube.

28. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

Wash it, wax it & leave the original paint on it.

Personally I would put a little more engine in it, but if you plan to drive it a lot I can see the 360 as an option. The polysphere A block that is in it could be rebuilt as some have suggested, but the parts are expensive compared to the LA block based engines. The 277 was a one year only engine (1956) and as such may have value to someone doing a restoration.

Good luck with your project.

B.

29. fukof:D

30. Ed "Axle" II

Ed "Axle" II
    from Evans,CO

Ok when I did this post I had been up way to long!!!! I have gone back and fixed it the best I could if I still have miss spelled words get over it!!!!!