Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing window sealant from window channels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1970malibu, Mar 18, 2012.

1. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

I took some glass out of one of my cars and was wondering what's the best/easiest way to remove the rest of the old sealant from the window channels. I tried to take a razor blade to it but have made little progress. They must of leaked at one point because I have a combination of firm sealant and then there is some that is really soft and sticky and looks like it was just applied. Any tips or tricks for removing this stuff?

2. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

If paint isnt a concern, Ive have good luck with thinner and a paint scraper.
    Or a little heat and a scraper.

3. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

Forgot to say that paint isn't a concern as I need to patch a couple spots on the channels and will be repainting the car. Will have to give thinner a try, this stuff is sucks to remove!

4. robertsregal

robertsregal

sounds like the old butyl and urethane, I used a sharp gasket scraper to get to metal area as far as remaining residue rolec grinder disc also wear gloves the residue of windshield bed hard to scrub off!

5. I have a thin 12 inch straight blade screw driver that I keep sharpened as my number one tool. number two is a scraper that I narrowed it 1/4 inch. sometimes if I'm dealing with ureathane I add a propane torch