Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tq roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SWIFTGTI, Mar 15, 2012.

1. SWIFTGTI

SWIFTGTI

Can anyone help me figure out the builder of this TQ and where it may have raced. It looks like the cage may have been added later. I found one on the web that looks a lot like it. I will try to post a pix of the nice restored one on the web. [email protected]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. Looks to be a Crosley 4 and an in/out gearbox also looks like it has a quick change rear
    Very cool little sprint car.

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Sorry no much help but it is not a TQ it is a sprint car as stated. Gary

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably the best route would be to figure out what class it would have run in and what tracks it might have run at and go from there.

5. SWIFTGTI

SWIFTGTI

Hello---There is one on the web that looks to be nearly the same car except it has been restored. Check this pix

Attached Files:

• s1_1.jpg
      s1_1.jpg
      File size:
      241.3 KB
      Views:
  6. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Swiftgti,Try posting this on the cageless midget thread ,there's a bunch of guys there that can help you out and point you in a direction......Rich

7. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

That looks more like a mini sprint that a TQ. Most of the TQ's looked like Kurtis midgets.

8. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

That's probably from the early 70's era with a crosley which was the most popular engine combo til the mid to late 70's. The t/q's went from an early sprint car/midget style to these odd super modified looking things.Then they went to a more modified style frame and snowmobile engines and currently have a resemblence to a super modified with motorcycle engines.If you are on facebook look for the ATQMRA t/q midgets page and post your info there.Here's a couple of shot's of the modern era the #56, I painted for my buddy in the late 80's and is still racing today the #75 is a car that was built this winter........Rich

Attached Files:

9. SWIFTGTI

SWIFTGTI

10. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Dave, I posted a picture of the car on the 2 ATQMRA face book pages to see if anybody can help you out............Rich

11. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hi Dave ..

I also received your pictures via eMail.

Yes, it's a Crosley powered, Weber carburated TQ .. definitely NOT a sprint car.
    We had cars similar to that that ran with the American Three Quarter Midget Racing Assoc. (ATQMRA) here in NJ, NY and PA mostly, in the period Rich (Rabs32) mentioned.
    I believe the Can-Am (Candian American) club ran similar cars for awhile too.

The late John Werele built the #02 that you pictured.
    To the very best of my knowledge he built only the one car, which BTW was very successful.

ATQMRA cars went from Crosley power, to 2 cycle (mostly snowmobile) engines, to todays 4 cycle motorcycle engines.

Werele stopped running his car because to compete, he was spending more & more on his Crosley engine and was getting beaten by much less expensive out of the box, stock 2 cycle snowmobile engines.

While the car in your possession is similar to the Werle #02, the engine is set back further and the body work appears to be much simplier.

Rich (Rabs32) posting your pictures on the ATQMRA Facebook pages might well help .. meanwhile I've eMailed your pictures to some former ATQMRA car owners &/or drivers &/or car builders that don't participate on Facebook.

"IF" the car competed in this area, Rich or I should come up with some info for you.

WHERE did you find the car? .. WHO did you buy the car from? .. Did the person you bought it from have any info at all? .. Was there a number on the car? .. Any name(s) painted on the car? ... Etc., etc., etc.?

I'm also curious as to what diameter wheels were on the car?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  12. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hi Dave ..

I've found someone who knows that car "as well as he knows the back of his hand!".

Rather than be the middle man and possibly misconstrue any of the information, I'll eMail you seperately with both his eMail address and his cell phone number so that you can discuss the car with him directly.

To use the Staples saying ... "That was easy!!!"

13. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WOW!!!

So far I've had four people reply, that have info on the car that you have.

I'll also eMail you their contact information privately.

I'll do the same, should any others respond.

14. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Wow, the knowledge of the HAMB. Was that exactly 24 hours.. to the minute to identify the builder of a 40 year racer ?
    Quite cool,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

15. SWIFTGTI

SWIFTGTI

Fast work---I want to thank Ken also Rich and every one else who worked on getting this info. It is really great to have a large group of guys that work together so well. When you live a long way from where any of this type of racing went on you have a hard time finding anyone who even knows what a TQ is. So when you are restoring one it is really a labor of love because you get no incouragment from anyone that drives or stops by. I am thankful to be part of this group. I live on RTE. 66 stop by sometime. Kingman AZ.
    Thanks Again Dave

16. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Dave, Glad you were able to get some info on your project. If I come across any pictures of the car that My Father, My uncle or Me shot while we were photographers for National Speed Sport News I'll get them to ya........Rich

17. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

John Little & Jack Bertling designed this car.
    With assistance from Jack Bertling, John Little built the car (this was in NJ).

Owned by John Little and Harry Williams, it was painted sort of a burnt orange and carried the #73.

Under the sanction of the American Three Quarter Midget Racing Association (ATQMRA) Jack Bertling drove the car for them, both indoors at the Atlantic City (NJ) Convention Hall and out doors at various tracks in the tri-state area .. including weekly at the tiny, now defunct Pine Brook (NJ) Speedway (where a Home Depot now stands :mad:).

In my mind, Pine Brook was the glue that held the building blocks of this fine TQ organization together.

Jack Bertling drove the car to the 1973 ATQMRA Championship!!

When Harry Williams passed away, John Little sold the car to Jack Furlong, who was from here on Long Island, NY.

A High School principal and sometimes columnist for the now defunct Illustrated Speedway News (ISN), Furlong campaigned the car with the ATQMRA, utilizing various drivers to twist the wheel .... including indoors at Atlantic City (NJ), with the very colorful and versatile Frankie Schneider handling the driving chores.

After awhile both the car and Jack Furlong disappeared from the scene.

Now after MANY years, the car turns up in Kingman, AZ .. a long way from NJ or NY.
    Considering it's age and it's travels .... the car appears to be in relatively good and "unscrewed up" condition.

The above was compiled from info received from Gary Mondschein, Harry Weed, Bob Marlow, Bob Cicconi, Drew Fornoro and Bob Lombardo.

Drew hasn't spoken to Jack Bertling yet, but promises to chime in with more when he does. :)

I don't know if it will ever come about, but MANY would like to see the car back here in the east .. with the Vintage Division of the ATQMRA (see logo below).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  18. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Jack Bertling, one of the original designers & builders of this car has chimed in, through his brother in law Drew Fornoro.

So much for what one felt was the “unscrewed up” condition of the car.

While he confirmed that this was the car, Bertling said that much has been changed from the way they built the car.
    Bertling added that if the car was restored to the way it’s currently configured, that it would be (to put it delicately) a piece of junk and that he wouldn’t even want to get in it.

Drew also confirms that the car is very much changed.
    Drew worked, as an ironworker, with John Little while the car was being built.
    When the car was first completed, he drove it at the then asphalt New Egypt (NJ) Speedway .. so that Jack Bertling could watch (from the track & the infield) how the car was working.
    Meaning that Drew was also very familiar with the original car.

Many times, once a car changes hands and it moves through the years the new owner/s and sometimes drivers, they feel that they can make changes to it that will improve it.
    Sometimes these changes work, many times they don’t.

At any rate, if the car was to be restored to it’s as built, 1973 Championship condition (as it should be) a lot of research would have to be done, old pictures thoroughly reviewed, the original designers / builders consulted and MORE, plus a skilled restoration expert world have to have the interest, spend the time, $pend the money, apply the labor with TLC, etc., etc., etc..

And again, I for one, would like to see it happen hear in the east.

19. SWIFTGTI

SWIFTGTI

Old 73 is gettin lonely in the dark.

Attached Files: