Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hidden Tunes Via An Ipod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 10, 2011.

1. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps

I was thinking of going the PAC route as well, but I ran across this when I was looking for cheap speakers to use

Bluetooth Module BT-1 - Parts Express

Basically it's a Bluetooth antenna you can plug into any AUX input (or in my case directly to the car amp) and will play sound directly off your smartphone, wirelessly over Bluetooth. I like this because I can use the phone I already have, and it was nice and cheap. It'll even play from up to 40ft away.

[​IMG]

I haven't had a chance to install a stereo yet, as I am in the middle of a cross-town move, but I tried it out by hooking it up to the boom box I use for garage tunes. It works like a charm!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. This is interesting....how do you wire it?

3. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

I Like this one!

4. Wow, great thinking. I am putting the interior back in my 54 today and will be doing this exact thing.

5. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps

It gets power from the USB (which is for power ONLY and not for data) so you can either hook it up to cigarette lighter type USB adaptor, or cut it off completely and hard-wire it into your ride.

Once you have a power source figured out, just connect the audio out to your receiver, crossover, amp, or whatever will accept a music signal... you can use your phone to control volume level, so I plan on hooking it straight to an amp just to keep things simple. :)

So far this thing has been working great. While packing it has been dutifully playing the music on my phone through the garage stereo (where I hooked it up temporarily) even though my phone is in my pocket and I'm walking around... should be great in my ride!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  6. salf100

salf100

You said the nano has an FM reciever? For all FM stations? That would be perfect. I love all these set ups but really like listening to the FM radio and dont want to pay for a service to get it.

7. n847

n847

Damn...Thats the cats ass!

8. Little Joe

Little Joe
    from Lodi

That's Awesome, Do you have any finished pics?? thanks

9. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

thanx for the input man

10. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps

<strong>"That's Awesome, Do you have any finished pics?? thanks"</strong>

I wish! That awesome little piece of technology is lost in some box somewhere (from the move) and I have yet to find it.

I'm pissed...
    [​IMG]</>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  11. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Love this thread. One of our cars is gonna get this treatment real soon.

12. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

great read, already copied it for my ride!

13. salf100

salf100

I'd like to see how you wire the headphones as an Antenna. Keep us posted.

14. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Have you got it installed yet? How does it work?

15. deeddude

deeddude

Great thread. I looked into buying one of those hidden radios, but after reading the reviews I decided not to. The radio that came with the car didn't work so I gutted it and attempted to disassemble another old radio I had to stuff it into the original radio. I stumble across this thread a while back and wanted to do something similar. <O:p</O:pI'm no electronics guy and I did install car audio systems and alarms years ago. Back then we made everything that we needed, there were no door lock modules, window roll down modules, etc... So with that in mind I figured I could come up with something for the old radio. Ryan's tech thread had me looking for an Ipod interface, but I wanted the old radio to control the ipod. The simplest solution was to find a interface with a remote. The IS-76 pro is the one I choose. [​IMG] After I received it I immediately broke it open to have a look inside to see if I could "make" something work. [​IMG] The buttons or switches look simple enough to solder wires to them. [​IMG] I soldered some old switches I had from a steering wheel controller up to them and tested it, worked fine. [​IMG] Next was too connect the old buttons to the new switches. I fab a mount up from abs and mated the two together. [​IMG] I used cut rubber hose on the end of the old buttons to make the "pushrod" bigger on the end making it easier to hit the little switches. [​IMG] [​IMG] Before buttoning all this up I added another feature to the radio for a planned subwoofer later.[​IMG] Now the radio controls volume, subwoofer volume, and 5 functions from the ipod remote. I had to add two more switches that I hid so the ipod could function like it should. They are hidden in the old tissue dispenser. [​IMG] I will add a small display later making it easier to see what functions I'm using from the ipod, the ipod screen is too small to try and look at while driving.

Hopefully this wasn't too long, but thought I would share.

16. Deu55

Deu55

Another idea is this new amp from kicker....Rod.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

Attached Files:

17. wow there is alot of really good ideas here. and to think i was just gona buy an old transistor and batteries...

18. sophisto79

sophisto79

Deeddude,

That is too cool for school. Thanks for the ideas! Keep us posted on the display please.

19. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I just installed one of those in my 48. My car is still 6 volt so I have one of those portable jump boosters with the cigarette lighter connection. Works great!

20. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

21. Check out page 10, post 181. It got me thinking.........Yes, I'm putting tunes in my Plymouth gasser even though I won't be able to hear them:D. So, I had done Ryan's install in my 64 Belair and it worked good. But I didn't like it plugged in - wires, knob, etc.....Plugging it in and out every time:(. Most of my trips are short / I don't need the device to be charged by the car. So I start to research the BT-1 on post 181 and it is a 5v input, not impossible to do - but the damn thing doesn't even come in an enclosure. It also has bad reviews because it's so fragile. So I wondered - does someone make a 12v unit that comes in a finished housing? Here's what I found.........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350575749971?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Yeah, it's a bit more $ (still cheap) but it's 12v and finished in a case! Amp + this thing in the trunk and done. Besides, the battery is already back there!:cool:

I haven't done this yet, I'll report back when I do.......

22. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome tech! Gives me a lot to think about...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. Tin Can

Tin Can

I am using this setup in my 53. A guy at work turned me onto these sound excitors for you guys that may not want to cut things up or have room for a traditioal speaker. you connect them on the back side of your dash or door panel. Maybe a little to high tech but he says they sound good for what I am doing. Going to listen to the set he just got at lunch today.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-375

Attached Files:

24. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Great info everyone. Sure helps an old fart out on understanding the new technology.

25. Little Terry

Little Terry

I've finally got round to ordering the components to set this up in my Chevy. I will let you all know how I get on with the installation. Thanks to everyone for the excellent info. LT.

26. Has anyone just tried a blue tooth speaker? I've been thinking of going with that.

27. daddio211

daddio211

It wouldn't be nearly loud enough in ANY of my cars, nor have near the sound quality I would want.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

28. Little Terry

Little Terry

I fitted Ryan's system to my truck yesterday with the speaker mounted inside the stock heater casing (the heater core is scrap anyway). It sounds a bit 'tinny', but a lot better than I expected. I also did the volume control and mounted to a small chrome accessory panel above the drivers right knee. With an old choke knob, it looks the right style for the rest of the car.

Thanks for the great idea, Ryan!

29. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Can you share with us how you fitted the old choke knob as a volume control as that sounds like a great idea.

30. K-A

K-A
    from sweden