Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC 327 Head Help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rude Dude, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Rude Dude

Rude Dude

Hey Guys and Gals

I need your suggestions I am like everyone in todays economy mostly on a budget on. A good friend gave me a complete rebuilt 1968 327 Large journal SBC bored 30 over. It came with power pack heads that need work plus I dont know if they are set up for unleaded fuel. I want to stay with stock reground cam since it has hardly any miles and I dont want to remove it. I wont be doing any racing just cruzin. do you have any suggestions as to what set of new or used heads will work good for a stocker 327 motor for unleaded gas. I dont want to put later vortec heads cause I already have a 12 bolt polished intake and straight across valve covers unlike the vortec design. And I would like to use accessory brackets that bolt to the heads. I have looked on egay and craigslist but all the new selections have 202 valves and think thet are a bit to much for stocker cam. I also have a set of 305 High Output 14014416 heads (184). These are off a camaro Z28. Any suggestions as to what I should run or look for and would the 305 be okay for this application? I know this is alot but info but any help would be appreciated.

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Dont use the 305 heads, they probably wont flow at all. IF you have double hump heads already, that should be a good foundation/start. I wouldn't be concerned with the seats unless your going to be pulling a heavy trailer.

3. If all you want to do is cruzing, anything will work. My suggestion is to go with the least cost......compare rebuilding your heads with the cost of new complete heads. You will not need hardened valve seats if you do not beat the engine to death.....just cruzing......

4. 52Poncho

52Poncho

What's wrong with 1.94/1.50 power pack heads for cruising? No problem with unleaded gas. Been running them for years with no problems. Just have the guides knurled and a valve job, there must be an old machinist around that can do them for cheap. If not a rebuilder in your area may have a trade-in swap for them for a decent price.

5. turdytoo

turdytoo

I just replaced the 250hp heads on my 327 with a small set of E-bay aluminum's. Cost was slightly more than a complete rebuild plus cores of anything with good seats. Unbelievable improvement and should definitely be considered.

6. chubbie

chubbie

I'm going to guess the powerpacks are 58-60 CC heads. the 305 heads will be close to 58 CC heads. so your compresion ratio should be close to the same. remember your compression ratio and available fuel octane have to work together. I worked with a engine builder several years ago, they built dirt track engines. he told me they used alot of 305 heads. he told me they would flow great with a little bit of work to them (not to much or they wouldn't pass tech) they were flow bench tested against lots of other heads.

I would use the 305 heads. but thats me I'm crazy like that

7. Rude Dude

Rude Dude

I am now leaning toward the 305's if the cost isn't so much to do the valve job.

They original came off a 1985 Camaro Z28 and are 1.84"/1.5" valves, 58cc chambers

The older heads are Powerpack 3884520, 60cc chambers, 1.72/1.50 valves.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  8. Rude Dude

Rude Dude

The heads are not camel humps those are fulie heads mine are power pack heads they have a triangle on the casting

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  9. Deuces

Deuces

I have 2 sets of the #416 heads.. Those would be perfect for the 327 with a little compression to boot.. If I had your 327, I'd install those in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!

10. the 416 heads will work fine as long as the block hasn't been decked you have to watch the compression ratio if you want to run pump gas

11. Rude Dude

Rude Dude

Thank you to all who replied I really appreciate everyones advice!:D

12. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

416s are the way to go. They flow alot better than the PP heads, plus they give you bolt hole for accessories. the 85 model heads use the same valve cover as the older heads to boot. 86 up ran the center bolt valve covers. 86 was also the first year of the straight center intake bolt holes, be careful to check for that. 55-85 all run the same style intake and you can even run the oil filler tube intakes, like the 327 came with stock. Good luck.

13. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

86 was the first year, but I think that was only on the l98 corvette. Didn't make it to the camaro until '87.

I've got a set of 416s on the shelf. Really watch out for that compression bump. That's a lot more compression than the camels that would have come with that 327 originally.

What cam are you running?

14. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

FYI... I just had a valve job done here locally. It costed me $250 total and that got me new intake valves. They are stock cast heads.

15. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Dont worry about the hardened seals,I have 2 motors that are suppose to be leaded motors one is a 69 poncho 400 and the other is my 69 327 ,I just run 94 octane and its fine,,,,,,,,,,

16. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

305 heads are really not the way to go though ,,,They have cracking problems ,Breathing problems, Because of the small valves ,,,,76 cc heads might be the cheapest way to go,Youll be able to run lower grade fuel,Sure youll lose the 10 to 10 and a quarter to 1 ,but youll be at 9.5 to 9,1 and thats ok for a driver,,,,,,,,,,,

17. Rude Dude

Rude Dude

Stock Cam