Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC venting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sammyg, Sep 3, 2010.

1. sammyg

sammyg

Please see post 19, this first post is old and I am no longer running anything that is seen in this picture.

I have searched, but didn't come up with anything. 62 model SBC 283...Downdraft block, no downdraft tube, plugged up with a freeze plug. Running original scripted Chevrolet valve covers and hope to keep it that way. Edelbrock Torker II intake... So no oil fill. I'm OK with that, I'll just pull the valve covers off to fill the motor. So, with that said, I know there needs to be some sort of breather for the crank, and also possibly a PCV valve. I considered running the original downdraft tube but there's an issue with that, I don't have one, and can't find one, and highly doubt I'd be able to fit one...
    So, how would I go about doing such?

Thanks!

Here's the motor (course I gotta show off!)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Bolt on an early chevy intake with the oil fill tube and a breather cap.

3. sammyg

sammyg

Still new to the SB world.... What carb would I be able to run? Where was the breather cap located then on the intake?

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

You need pull the plug from the road draft tube hole and install one of these then run a hose from this to an inline pvc valve then to a hose nipple attached to the 1/4" npt port on the lower rear of the carb. Then replace the manifold with one that has a fill tube and breather. Otherwise you will get continious condensation inside the motor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010

5. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

The older iron 4-barrel SBC intakes with the oil fill tube usually accept the 4GC Rochester/Carter WCFB carbs, the last ones made up until '68 use Quadrajets. The early aluminum Corvette 4-barrel intakes accept Carter AFB carbs. Not sure if any will accept Holley carbs.

Pulling a valve cover to add oil is going to get old really quick, it's hard enough as it is to get them to seal good even when you're not taking them on and off all the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

Edelbrock EPS intakes have an oil fill tube.

7. Yeah, all the intakes from that generation had the oil fill tube, aftermarket included, you can even find a Torker with one if you just love that intake. I'm not real sure when they went away from it, '69 or so maybe?

8. Deuces

Deuces

Your best bet is to hit the swap meets in your area and find an aftermarket intake that has the fill tube.......

9. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The cleanest looking pcv system you can run is a '63 chevy passenger car or non-fuel injection vette setup. You install a breather "tomato can" inside of your block, & you add the plumbing which comes from the rear of the block to the threaded pcv valve which installs at the rear of the carb flange. This is the "exit" side of the circuit, which pulls in the vapors. The "inlet" side which allows air to flow into the crankcase is the vented oil fill cap - as seen in the posted pics.

You can get all this stuff thru one of the vette parts websites, like corvette central to name one. Just remember the circuit flow changed through the years, so make sure you stick with one model year. I personally like the '63 chevy year, as it used less tubing. '64 & later ran the pcv line from the oil filler tube & used a sealed breather cap. It also runs another line to the air cleaner. Works good, but more hoses than I care for.

As for a singe 4bbl intake, you could install an OEM intake up to '67 which will have the oil fill tube, or you could go with an Edelbrock C3B, C4B, Weiand WCVSQ or early Weiand 7502

10. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

This is what I used on my 327. Be sure to use the tin can baffle under the intake tho, or it will suck oil from the lifter valley.

11. sammyg

sammyg

12. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

that looks like what you need, but this might be a better oil filler tube w/breather (& cheaper)
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-4803/

You might be able to find a couple of those pieces locally at a pick your part - like the can & tubing.

13. Danog

Danog

As Tjet said if you put the breather on the back of the block, put the tin can in (or under the manifold) . I forgot to put the can in and was loosing Oil like crazy. with the can and breather you can run any Intake you want

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

the engine not only needs to be able to suck in crankcase ventilation, and also be able to evacuate it..so dont just think a road draft tube will solve your issues..it will still need to suck in air..

i would see if you can find an intake with the fill tube..
    and vent the engine and install a pcv system..your engine seals will love you for it

15. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

We just welded a bung in the oil filler tube and ran the hose to the base of primary carb on my tri power....works for me

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. L79_Acadian

L79_Acadian
    from canada

Why not take one of the bungs mentioned above, weld it into the rear of one of the valve covers, screw the pcv valve in, completely out of site. What i did was weld 2 small hose barbs into the rear of a set of valve covers, run 2 hoses thru the firewall into the windshield wiper area,into a adapter i made to hold a small breather and the 2 hoses. Out of sight, not seen.
    Just a thought.

17. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

18. If you go with one of the "juice can" style breathers mounted in the back of the lifter valley, and it's an old, used one, get it hot tanked or soak it in some kind of solvent and get all the crud cleaned out of it. With age and poor maintenance these things could get really choked up inside. They need to flow pretty freely to work properly.

19. sammyg

sammyg

Bringing an old thread of mine back, ended up welding (no leaks) a "Moon Breather" onto some repro Corvette covers (Cheaper then most finned covers and I love the way they look) The breather acts as that, my breather, and oil fill location. There is no baffle under the valve cover but it does have the sponge inside.
    [​IMG]
    Under the intake I put a tomato can valley breather. The machine shop I used had it, got it for free including hot tanking it. Little bit of carbon flakes but they mostly came out.
    For the PCV I had machined basically a brass plug to go in the road draft tube area with a PCV valve threaded in.
    Somewhere in the upper rear intake area it's leaking a lot of oil, literally drive 1 block, come back and park, and I'll end up with a puddle the size of an ipad underneath. I'm thinking it may be the road draft plug I made up, it's set in with a coating of RTV around it, but I'm not seeing how that much oil can be coming out of that area.
    That being said, Where can I find one of these? I have searched high and low, spent an hour on google trying many search terms, looking on ebay and cruising sites that carry parts for anything that may have had a 283/327 with this piece (Corvette, Chevelle, Camaro, etc...)
    [​IMG]
    Thank you

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I just bought an Edelbrock Performer EPS 2703 that comes with a vented cap equipped oil fill tube.

I'll be using it in my 36 Ford with Edelbrock valve covers with no holes.

I will also drill the rear of the manifold for a proper PCV valve system.

Take a look on here at the various SBC PCV valve threads, there are a few.

I agree with the rest of the advice here, ditch the manifold you have and get the oil fill tube.

Then set up a proper PCV system. Both you and your engine will be happier.

As for your statement about removing a valve cover to add oil to the engine :confused: Seriously give that one a second thought it's not very practical in daily use.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  21. sammyg

sammyg

Read my latest post in this thread....Thanks.

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

23. I know this is an older thread/post, but I just wanted to point out some general info. The setup pictured above will actually "short cycle" air directly from the breather cap into the PCV valve and intake. To work properly, the PCV valve and air inlet (breather) have to be on opposite sides (or ends) of the engine. Left and right valve covers works best, as this forces the air to pass down through the lifter valley or crankcase to get to the opposite side of the engine.

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

http://i.tfcdn.com/img2/[quote="exwestracer, post: 7571678"]I know this is an older thread/post, but I just wanted to point out some general info. The setup pictured above will actually "short cycle" air directly from the breather cap into the PCV valve and intake. To work properly, the PCV valve and air inlet (breather) have to be on opposite sides (or ends) of the engine. Left and right valve covers works best, as this forces the air to pass down through the lifter valley or crankcase to get to the opposite side of the engine.[/QUOTE]
    [IMG]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtW5s8vOamhnqHjsAT5i98OSciI6x_EUZSRv-MldzJ6Bvr0G8W
    Yes the Corvettes and HP engines that used the oil fill tube system shown above used this oil fill cap that sealed the tube at the top to force the air to be drawn from the engine.

25. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

You need to define where the leak is. It may be the rear intake seal (sounds like that to me, there is a lot of oil moving in that area). I doubt it is the road draft hole. Take a good look at the oil pressure gage threaded port also in that area.

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll let you know if I come across that piece in my travels at the wreckers this spring.

27. sammyg

sammyg

It's coming from that general area where the road draft tube, oil sending unit, and rear intake seal is. Looking at a picture I snapped so I could see it almost looks like I didn't load enough Permatex Right Stuff on the block when I installed the intake, in one section there isn't any squeeze out, almost recessed a little bit. I've replaced the oil sending unit, made sure to teflon tape the threads (now understanding this is not what I should have done, I'll clean off the teflon and put some thread sealant on) but the road draft tube area is a little wet, and the PCV hose connecting to it has a little bit of oil in it. It does smoke a little grey when it is running.

Thank you.

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Do that along with changing the intake with a fill tube and breather cap. Then you will have make up air for PCV to work properly and you can add your oil real easy that way.

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The OP has no venting going on with the engine closed off as it is. The crank case pressure is push the oil out anywhere the gaskets are weak. This condition will only get worse till engine can vent properly.

30. sammyg

sammyg

The OP does have venting. The crank case pressure is not "push the oil out" it is leaving through either the breather on the driver side valve cover (also the place to add oil) or through the PCV system that I made using a valley breather in the rear of the block, and a piece of brass machined to set into the road draft tube hole, siliconed in, with a PCV valve drilled and tapped into. I'm merely asking where to get the correct factory part that bolts on the hole where the road draft tube where have been, that runs an inline PCV valve.