Register now to get rid of these ads!

Club Plaque Mounting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Silva, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Looks good!
    But why didn't you tap the bungs first, so you can have the thread go all the way?
    I know a bottom tap will work, but it's still not cutting all the way, and you might want the couple extra threads...

pecker head likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

half dozen in one, 6 in the other... It doesn't weigh anything, so no real need to get crazy with thread count.

3. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

really nice, I have two plaques. first has holes in it, but the other is untouched and I may have to see if I can duplicate what you did. so much nicer with no holes.. might need to get a belt sander also taping off is a pain

4. I'm just wondering...
    Figured it would be easier in the lathe than doing it by hand.
    But I wasn't trying to piss anybody off.
    Again, nice work!

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Oh Kevin.......

6. BLAKE

BLAKE

Maybe, but what good is untapped bung..?

7. Deu55

Deu55

Great how to tech , looks cool...

8. Perfect timing, my new club plaque is crossing the ocean as i type, but i think i'll be going for two holes, and some gold chains.
    That sounds kinda cheap huh?

9. great job.. looks good.. But is that traditional?

I kid, I kid!

10. lol so hard from cains simple statement i farted . I love the hamb

11. Actually, there are lots of plaques out there that we have cast a 1/2" square lump on the back of so that guys could drill and tap as needed.

Of course that leads to the same question I ask when guys ask if we drill the plaques we make. I get their attention by saying "Sure, six holes each!" That usually gets their attention and they ask "Why six?" So I tell them that we have to make all of their members happy - the ones that are hanging them from chains, mounting them on the top of their license plate and centering them on their spreader bar. They get the message and concede that it's better not to get them pre-drilled so that the guys that want to just lay them in their trunk or on the rear package tray won't be pissed about the six holes they're not using:rolleyes:

I'm making 30 oval bronze plaques at the moment with two blocks on the back 7" on center (license plate bolt spacing) that are centered top to bottom. Hope all 30 guys like them that way because it's a lot or grinding to get those bronze blocks off - unless you have a Bridgeport like Kevin;)

Dennis

12. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Couldn't you have just put a bolt in the hole to protect the threads?

pecker head likes this.
  13. Silva

Silva

Seriously? aren't y'all just over thinking this. It was meant to be a simple informative post about how "I" did this particular mount.

Do yours anyway you see fit!

14. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hey Kevin,if you feel that my post hijacked your thread or pissed on your fireworks, that was not my intention, and I sincerely apologise. This thread was a good bit of tech which unfortunately wouldn't work for me as I have Frenched numberplates and no bumpers. Once again please accept my apologies.

Paul

15. Kevin,

What Paul said!

Dennis

PS, Guess Paul wouldn't have wanted the six holes either:D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  16. Silva

Silva

No offense taken.

There are a number of ways to accomplish this simple task.
    None right or wrong...whatever works for whomever.

17. Thanks Kevin.....this will work for me!

18. toucan

toucan
    from sc

some chain from lowes and ryobi hand drill!

Attached Files:

jimmy six likes this.
  19. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

looks amazing. never see them mounted on the front of the cars around here though

20. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

That's an interesting point! With apologies to Kevin for hijacking his thread again, I always assumed (being English and all) that plaques were always mounted to the rear of the car. Would mounted on chains from the front license plate (we have to have them over here by law) work in you guys opinions?
    Paul

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  21. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

It was meant to be a technical question. I was wondering if welding it on with the hole already tapped would have caused some distortion in the threads, even with a bolt in the hole.

Your end result is very clean looking. Now go treat yourself to one of those beers that the Austin Beerworks is brewing for you in Austin.

22. Paul, I think it needs to be on the back, just my .02;)

23. BTT. Any more photos of plaques installed? Front or rear is good....

24. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

looks good, perfect for your "licence plate" application, but as a drag plate i tend to agree with drj--- drilling holes is a tradition..

25. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Here is how I mounted mine.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

26. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Looks good, but I would suggest tapping the bungs before you weld them to the plaque. You'll get a better thread than with a bottom tap.

27. sololobo

sololobo

Nice tech bro, I am all about those Lil Rancheros after Ryans Ute thread. Strange how quick perception changes on a car you have taken for granted for a long time. Kontinetals rock!! ~sololobo~

28. carter l morey

carter l morey

this i like!

29. To each their own. For me the way I remember them back in Stamford Ct. they hung and swung. That is how mine are. 8EF26B2C-B419-49AC-8D30-580C1FEF5324.jpeg EF030437-049B-4BB5-8D8F-5BB544453EFC.jpeg

UNCLECHET and Just Gary like this.