Register now to get rid of these ads!

Things to do in the Lancaster/ Bakersfield area?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TJratz, Mar 14, 2012.

1. TJratz

TJratz

I realize that this a large area to cover but my fiance' and I are going to be in the Mojave area in April for a Gene Winfield workshop and am just looking for ideas on what to do for fun in the evenings?

2. hemi

hemi

Trouts in Oildale... Always an adventure. LOL...

3. The mind reels at the possibilities. You could score some crack, procure the services of a ho', get your ass kicked by rednecks, be involved in a meth bust. The list goes on and on

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

Lancaster and Bakersfield are actually pretty far apart from each other. You might check to see if El Mirage is running while you are here, as it's relatively close to Lancaster. Edwards AFB is semi-close, and has some open house/visitor type stuff, too.

5. First off stay in Tehachapi not Mojave,
    Take the fiance to the beach while your this close, Pismo Beach its only a couple hours from here. Sonic has a car show on Fridays here but not much else for car shows. ANRA has a race at Famoso April 20-22
    Mojave desert is number one for camping anywhere north of Mojave

6. TJratz

TJratz

Thanks guys! We will be staying in Lancaster unless other wise advised not too.

7. Lancaster is a shit hole much like lots of parts of Bako, Tehachapi is a cool small Mtn. town in between Mojave and Bakersfield. Would be my choice

8. TJratz

TJratz

Thats true but considering we are from Soutwest Kansas we are used to driving 3-5 hours just to go do something..lol

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

There are much better places to stay than Lancaster. As already mentioned, Tehachapi is kinda cool...

10. TJratz

TJratz

Thanks! I think thats where we will be heading...she did a little more research and everything she has found is pointing us to stay in Tehachapi... Is Buck Owens' Crystal Palace still open in Bakersfield? Is it worth a shit?

11. Its open but I dont do country so never been. For you might be a cool visit I do here its pretty nice.

12. hemi

hemi

If you really don't mind driving and have some time, head for the coast or down south - maybe make a loop along the coast and back around. Unfortunately Lancaster and that area is not the best part of California... I lived in Bakersfield for about 5 years. I like Bakersfield a lot because of the friends that I have there, but it's not a real touristy place. Lancaster even less so...

13. Yeah if we didnt have the drag strip we all would be on crack here, go west Morro bay Cayucos Pismo Beach then head south along the coast. L.A area has tons of cool stuff to do.

14. TJratz

TJratz

Thanks fellas!!

15. Get a room in Rosamond. Slightly less of a shithole than Lancaster and it puts you 5 min. from Gene's shop. Call Gene's and ask to speak to John. He will get you to the right accommodations. Tehachapi is a half hour drive from the shop on a good day. At the end of a long day thrash at Gene's. That 30 min. drive sucks big time.

16. TJratz

TJratz

Thanks everyone!!!

17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  18. TJratz

TJratz

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

19. Joe Roseberry

Joe Roseberry

If you can work it out the ANRA meet at Famoso would be cool, there is a lot of history there. And since you would have to pass through Bakersfield do not miss the Woolgrowers Basque Resturant on East 19th street. The Woolgrowers has been a gathering place for the Smokers and other drag racers for nearly 50 years. Joe

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  20. snaptwo

snaptwo

Zingos on Buck Owens Ave. , Great food ,friendly waitresses, world famous T-shirts.

21. TJratz

TJratz

Since this is our first trip out here, thinking about going to the LA Area. How is the traffic, it it worth the hassle of going to the LA Area.

22. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

as far as traffic goes, the average speed on fwy's is 35 mph due to all the stops and starts. i lived there for about 42 years, retired and moved to a town of 2000 people. i absofreakinglutely hate going down there now.

23. Maratrodz

Maratrodz
    from Wa

Lancaster is definitely a shit hole born and raised there, not the same place as it was moved to Washington about 6 years ago been back twice to visit only because I still have family there. I wish I never had to go back, bu I love my family.

24. Special Ed

Special Ed

If you've never been out here, a trip to the coast might be something to consider. I don't imagine you have many beaches in Liberal. Santa Monica beach is just ten miles west of downtown Los Angeles, if you make it there. Depending on time of day, and if it's a weekend, you can get into, and back out of L.A. relatively easy.
    Rush hour traffic during the week will be a horror story for you (or anyone).

25. Don't listen to these morons they don't not know a damn thing. their is plenty to do here, clubs, shows, mall, hot air balloon rides, miniature golf, Harley Davidson shop, lots of parks, tons of restaurants from Benihana style to sushi to fast food, poppy reserve, willow springs raceway, the list goes on. as far as going to LA it is not really that great, like has been said the beaches are great and pretty close but a lot of traffic.

26. moefuzz

moefuzz

Have you tried 'Walking The Streets Of Bakersfield' Yet?

Highly Recommended!

27. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Buck Owens Crystal Palace in Bakersfield.
    Buck is gone but his kid (Buddy Alan) plays with the old Buckaroo's
    every Friday night...Check the website.
    Good stuff if you like the Bakersfield sound.

28. Muttley

Muttley

Thats one stop shopping in Bakersfield. If you want to experience that and more drive a couple hours North to Fresno, you can get everything here you can get there plus the added bonus of gang members and drive-by shootings at no extra charge.

29. Lancaster blvd between 10th st. west and Sierra Hwy. good restaurants, night spots.
    4th Saturday cruise- www.4thsaturday.av.org/
    Nothing wrong with Lancaster as a whole, does have its shit areas like anywhere.
    Cruising through Tehachapi is nice, huge windmill farm there.
    Burbank (old crow speed shop, Hollywood hot rods, Bob's Big Boy cruise night) is one hour away from Palmdale/ Lancaster.

30. Famous Dave's BBQ at the Palmdale Mall and Tommy's Burgers around the corner from the mall are good eats .......