Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting new ca license plates black

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cwheelin, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Cost, dies are expensive and they wear out. A lot of states don't do them in prison anymore as well, they farm them out to contractors.

Somone took offense at my remarks about meeting bubba. Just to clarify I had a friend in the '80s do a bullet @ San Quentin for altering the plate on his bike. He took a magic marker and made the 0 look like a piece sign. I guess the officer and or the judge or jury didnt see the humor in it.

That is certainly a lot less than changing the color of an entire california plate.

Like I said earlier I am not privy to the current legal climate in good old sunny California. Maybe with the legalization of marijuana they have gotten soft. I don't think that is likely but maybe.

2. 62rebel

62rebel

it has been my understanding, possibly incorrect, that since a Police Officer can seize your plates for almost any reason, the plates do not BELONG to you; you are simply paying for the use of them by paying your registration fees, etc.... so; modifying something that does not BELONG to you is vandalism. having statutes clearly written that state "do not ALTER" mean exactly THAT.... they are what they ARE, and i personally would not risk standing in front of yerhonor one morning to explain myself.

of course, my opinions may or may not reflect any sort of common sense or perception of reality. do what you will, and let the MAN sort it out.

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

Truly elogant solution!

Rich

4. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Just do it. Everything's already illegal around here anyways, hell we're all probably breaking a law just by talking about this.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  5. teufelhund

teufelhund

I personally wouldnt do it! My buddy said to find an old set of plates that havent been cleared and then check for the numbers to see if they are available as a custome plate and run those!Just a thought, that way you will get a fix it ticket and can throw the real ones back on!

6. man, i am so hungry. i keep hearing these commercials for Langer's deli on 7th and alvarado. i'm trying really hard to come up with an excuse to go to downtown LA.

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

I like watermelon.

8. deto

deto

no you dont
    I like watermelon.

There can only be one highlander

9. <object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CMNry4PE93Y?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CMNry4PE93Y?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

10. I have mine painted on both cars- been going on 10 plus years that way, been told nice car 100 times by officers- never once have I been talked to about it.

Im in CA- in a city where cops are notorious for writing you up for dumb stuff.

11. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

They dont make ca plates anymore....

9X74

12. That new Carl's Junior commercial that is out, the one my wife slaps me on the back of the head when I watch it .... welp, that one makes my mouth water in a bad way.

13. the-rodster

the-rodster

Mmmmmmm, Kate Upton.....

Rich

14. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

SO I SEE there are others...

15. Matthew

Matthew
    from Burien, WA

DrJ, that is some funny shit, LOL...

16. Matthew

Matthew
    from Burien, WA

I actually laughed out loud at this one! LOL

Seriously though, just drive the crap outta tha tthing; as long as its got good tabs, who cares about the plates. In Washington, you can get 'collector' plates; not sure about Cali though,,,

17. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

We can paint plates here but they still have to meet DOT guidelines. And obviously the number has to stay the same.

18. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

The DMV TOLD me to paint the numbers on my plate since they were so faded. Just use the correct color son.....

you guys are a bunch of pussies.

Geez Hank, you shouldn't take those bumpers off. George you should stop street racing your gow job, Barney might catch you. You know Frank, that loud exhaust might get you in trouble with the law. Geez.

But if you change the color of your license plate your asking for it....

I will post mine again cause I aint no pussy.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  19. Special Ed

Special Ed

Great post. :rolleyes: What in the world does this have to do with a guy asking a question about painting a California white plate black, and the ramifications of doing so? WTF? :confused:

20. Are you saying the Arizona police are making you run a license on your bicycle?....

21. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

I believe the point of my remark was that in Arizona you are allowed to restore a plate back to its original condition(or half ass as I did).

Also I noted that if you change colors you are asking for it.

If you read all of the previous posts you might understand what I meant, I thought I was reading a kids forum. And yes I am the only one who replied who was off topic. I will get on my bike and go home now, dad.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  22. <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uN3c64j2DPE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

23. IRISH13

IRISH13
    from SoCal

I believe the original question to this thread was asking if anyone has painted a newer style CA plate. How did this turn into whats legal or not thread? The guy asking already knows its illegal. I joined this forum because I like traditional cars, not to hear a bunch of people bitching about its their way or no way. If someone wants to paint their plates pink, who gives a shit. They will deal with it when their time comes. Live and let live. And to the few people who keep whining, whens this thread going to end?? Dont read it!

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

Hey, dumbass, it HAD ended FOUR days ago. YOU brought it back to the top.

25. Muttley

Muttley

Dear DMV,

Stop making things that look like crap and in turn we will stop modifying them.

Sincerely, People With Taste.

26. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

haha

27. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

I don't see why people make a big deal of posting a pic of their license plate anyways, everybody and their brother can see it when you're driving down the road.....

28. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

I think thats a felony

29. ratbassturd

ratbassturd

WoW, Not wasting space. Just replying to a question. If thats a problem and taking up space, Well then you are too old and your little panties are a bit up your bunghole!