Register now to get rid of these ads!

Krylon Rattle Can Flake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3spd, Jan 13, 2012.

1. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

I have used the "flake cans" in the past but i dont think it was Krylon. Used it on a few picture frames and it turned out ok. Wish i had some pics but i think all that stuff went bye bye in my divorce...

2. killa fab

killa fab

If i do anything else on my truck i will spend the money and buy the roth flake stuff.

3. greasebandit0801

greasebandit0801
    from houston

its a aerosol clear coat that i bought on the lil daddy roth site works pretty good only down side is its only good for 24-48 hrs

4. killa fab

killa fab

Its says its a 2part clear on the lil daddy roth site, what's that mean? And how is an aerosol can only good for a day or two?

5. greasebandit0801

greasebandit0801
    from houston

theres a videop on youtube you have to pop a seal in the bottom then skake for two minutes dont really know why its only good for 2 days

6. ronotron

ronotron

pushing on the base of the can releases the harder/catalyzer in to the can.

After two days the paint will have gone hard in the can.

7. greasebandit0801

greasebandit0801
    from houston

I see cool thanks for the tip!!!

8. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

i JUST used some for the full review that im about to post in the next couple days and didnt have too hard of a time using it. i just shook it every other 15 seconds because glitter does settle. and i was spraying outside where we just had snow. :rolleyes:

9. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

Cool im thinking about doing my Dash in on 53 Vicky.

10. cruizznn

cruizznn
    from ohio

I want to spray metalflake on a traditional style willys I am working on, but am going to use flake and clear, not a rattle can. Has anyone sprayed .015 flake to give me an idea of what size spray gun tip I would need?. Also could one use a flattened clear to give it more of an old look, but would that ruin the shiny flake finish?

11. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Tip size 1.7 for your standard. 015 flake. I'm not to sure about spraying matte finish clear over it to give it a old look. You may be better off spraying a true clear then scuffing it with a red Scotch brite pad.
    just my 2¢

12. cruizznn

cruizznn
    from ohio

thanks galaxie...is that flake big enough it will have to be somehow kept in suspension over the .004 size?..will ball bearings in the cup work for that? I use a devilbiss gravity feed gun. I will probably decide I like it shiny anyways, but wanted an old look without appearing fake somehow

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Get yerself a purple Harbor Freight HVLP ($20) and use that for the flake....then you can drill out the tip a "hair" to match the flake...

This is Roth .008 flake....with a little bit of .015 "Trippin' flake as well.. :D

No rattlecan is going to spray "flake"...maybe a coarse metallic.....that glitter shit is for model cars and yer girlfreinds crafts....;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I would try to swirl the gun as you paint carefully and if you have to stop painting make sure to shake the crap out of it or else you may encounter clogging and or spitting

I don't think I'd use ball bearings to help mix the paint inside the paint cup if your using a hvlp because it might distrupt the paint flow.
    I don't think you can ever mix flake too much

.004 is called "ultra mini" from House Of Kolor and its called "baby flake" from Roth's paint line.

15. cruizznn

cruizznn
    from ohio

Yeah I thought about the bearings getting in the way in the cup. I was wondering what this places .004 was like, but if they get too small will it just look like metallic finish and not flake. Also wondered about their hologram types.

http://www.paintwithpearl.com/metal_flake.htm

I really like the looks of the "glowable" types on this site..they are .015. The fella was friendly to talk to here. The prices are more than the paint with pearl place. wonder how they compare?

http://metalflakecorp.com/

S/C, your wheels and frame look pretty nice

I wonder if all flakes are made of the same plastic materials. the fella at metalflake was saying something about square and 5 sided types. I also wonder if they are all UV resistant?

16. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I think the flake from KustomShop is 5 sided.....and I've seen stuff thats almost round...
    I've used Roth Flake, Old School Flake and the Paint With Pearl microflake....
    The PWP stuff doesn't have the "shimmer" as the other guys....
    My personal "fav" is the Roth 'Lil' flake @ .008. It doesn't take a ton of clear to bury and it shimmer's like a motherfucker.....the bigger stuff is more "choppy" looking...if that makes sense...
    Some of the Roth "Trippin" flakes are cool....except for the black..
    I'm sure most flakes are of same material.....even from same plant in cases...

This is Roth Monster Flake.....

[​IMG]

BTW...flake is a bitch to photograph.....'cause a photo "freezes" the sparkles...haha..

17. cruizznn

cruizznn
    from ohio

I looked at Roth's the other night..I will check them out again, thanks..there is always a reason some things are a little more money. Yeah, I don't want the flakes too big for the reason you say. they state you can use any base color you want, I was thinking a blue flake over a gold base..PWP said black..seemed odd.

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Stupid question, but when you're using this stuff (the Krylon in the original post), and you spray clear over it, do you wet-sand the base coat before you apply the clear? Or spray the clear over the un-sanded base and then wet sand the whole thing?

-Dave

19. killa fab

killa fab

The glitter crap is reserved for yo gals crafts. After spraying it I'm done with it, I don't have capability to burry it in clear since I was trying to paint the inside of a piece of pipe. I wish I had an airbrush and knew how to use it, would work good then.

20. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

I've used the Metal-Specks before and it has turned out well. I painted a Silver Specks base and then am going to go over it with Burnt Orange. Then Clear. I liked how the Silver turned out. I will report back when the orange is done.

21. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I always use a similar color base (a metallic) as the flake.....but a black base looks killer too, as long as most of it is covered in flake...
    Using a base a shade or two lighter (or darker) than your flake keeps whatever your painting from looking like Salt and Peppa.......:D

22. killa fab

killa fab

I used grey primer, rustoleum metallic silver base, then krylon glitter blast lucky green, then krylon green glitter spray(dont know the color name on it) but it was a lighter/brighter green shade.
    [​IMG]

It does look good in the sunlight though. Good enough for a hole in a frame anyway. Obviously this is just a little part of my rear frame rail, had to get up close to see any detail! ha. Would do airbrush and real flake paint if it was more of a show car/ look pretty tho.

23. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

Do you guys think that Krylon Clear Coat can be used over the Duplicolor Metal Specks?

24. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

25. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

check craigslist for a nice iwata airbrush. you can find em fairly cheap. its where i got all of mine. youtube has a ton of instructional videos for em too

26. greasebandit0801

greasebandit0801
    from houston

Ol Skool flakes has a few good videos on youtubr there flake buster for the iwata eclipse any ways how did we go from rattle can to spray guns hahahaha!!!!!!

27. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

neighbor just gave me an old ratty craftsman 3 drawer track box, I think i know what needs flaked now! I'll post a few pics when i'm done.

28. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

sweet! Flake in ah can..

29. cruizznn

cruizznn
    from ohio

Uh, that's my fault greasebandit..sorry. It just seemed like a good place to find someone that has sprayed regular metalflake. I did get some good tips. I would like to see some more things you guys have sprayed with the rattle cans to see what it looks like

30. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

as would I.

I just dont have enough time to work on the Stude's right now, to get the Rattle-Bomb on. I usually bring my 3yr old with me when I work on them so that she can play with grandma, but for some reason she just wants to hang around the cars with me. :cool: