Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. brandon

brandon

good deal.....the injected blue and white one is one of my favorites from that era..... post more pics as they show up....

2. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

ain't that the truth!

3. ELMER FUDD

ELMER FUDD

Very Cool to hear that. My Dad currently owns Mike's "Stars and Stripes" Fiat.

4. ELMER FUDD

ELMER FUDD

All the same car. And, yes, I would love to see more pics of it, too...

Attached Files:

5. rckymtn3

rckymtn3
    from So Cal

that's the second chassis, the redwhiteblue car...someone else built that..(m&s race cars)..the white injected Fiat turned blue and white blown fuel Fiat (my personal favorite of fuel altereds) was Sullivan's own chassis....but funny how these things live so many lives....(like your dad's car) there's a whole lot of cars that changed flopper bodies, into altereds, back into funnies, and then bought by someone else, and changed over and over....one of the most low transitions (IMHO) is the California Charger Firebird....was sold overseas, campaigned as the charger for a while, then slowly and surely turned into what is now best described as a flip-top super comp-type car.....but still, interesting how many lives a good set of pipes can have....back-halfed, front-halfed etc etc etc...

http://prodrag.net/index.php?page=charger

then came the few seasons in the 90's where the chassis began to fail under loads....they tried lots of things, one of the most basic, was to chock the chassis during transport from shop to track to track....the constant bouncing of the roadway transferred into the chassis being flexed over and over, and basically, putting thousands of miles on the chassis....so they became very aware of the load cycles the chassis went through.....double walled this, extra cross braced that....now, like in the Gators just run, a Force slaps the wall, and the chassis is sacrificed to ford enginners to run tests on....

you can smoke a cigarette while pouring nitro, just don't hit a puddle of it with a hammer....

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  6. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

OK,I get the dipshit award.
    Sitting in class tonite,getting my industrial lift truck cert,I realized the reason why the pics I posted disappeared.They were not in my photobucket account,but anothers.Apparrently they did not have Pro.
    While looking into things I found that every hit on a pic that is on a photobucket account is recorded no matter who hits on it.
    Must have put it over the limit.
    Did find out that it renews every month so they are supposed to be available then and should show.
    Will wait and see.
    Always nice to learn something everyday.
    And I did pass my lift truck cert.

7. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Mike Sullivans Fiat is one of the coolest AA/FAs of all time. But ad the Orange County timing tower in the background and that makes the photo pricele$$

[​IMG]

8. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

so you put a lot of thot into your sig,, hmmm :eek::p;):D
    no really,, glad u figured it out,,
    but, i m curious, how did u post under someone elses account??

9. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

#31946;
    " .....but still, interesting how many lives a good set of pipes can have....back-halfed, front-halfed etc etc etc...

then came the few seasons in the 90's where the chassis began to fail under loads.... "

and I'm still amazed at the people afraid to fish mouth and weld, but will spend months straightening out and bracing up dinosaur relics from the 60's when they could save time and their lives jigging up a fresh frame with new tubing. Tom S. in Tn.

10. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

That signature was made for me.:D
    My mantra.

Guess when I copy/pasted,it counted as a hit with photobucket along with any one else doing same.Seems it all adds up on the original account.

11. ELMER FUDD

ELMER FUDD

12. rckymtn3

rckymtn3
    from So Cal

I'm with you....historically, people like to say "it's the original chassis" but then it's only good as a static cackle car....no high-speed runs....mostly due to the rollcage hoop design and other under braced areas.

been a while,(so may have changed) but last time I looked, race certified chassis are rated on design, not quality of welds. (visually, a fillet can look beautiful, but still be structurally flawed) they'll look at the welds, but structurally, a weld can only be tested by microscopy or good old stress test....basically, anyone can weld a chassis and race it, as long as the design meets specs...which is absolutely fine for the welder/driver (it's cool to put your body in something you built)....but an issue once sold to someone....I mean, how do YOU know it's a competent assembly/fabrication? you don't....you weren't there....When you make something yourself, you know the corners you cut....if any....

soooo....I'm with you...why use old stuff if it's your safety...I understand for museum stuff, the ability to say "this is THE chassis"....but for something you might actually wreck....no question....all-new for me

13. rckymtn3

rckymtn3
    from So Cal

14. rckymtn3

rckymtn3
    from So Cal

if anyone came late to the party like I did....Jeff K posted some absolutely FAB photos from the Pittsburgh track site (around 1470+ in thios thread)....it's a great set of photos from the Bill Truby Collection....

This thread is loooong, but it's like gold mining....when you strike, you strike it big...

15. gtx6970

gtx6970

Wanted to make this my 1st post.

To all that have posted pictures here. THANK YOU

I'm in heaven

but keep em coming

16. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Thats really cool, but your 1st post should be in the Intro section,
    why not make your 2nd post over there,,
    welcome to the hamb:cool:

17. Skotz Blown flathead FED

Attached Files:

18. That's one nasty looking flathead. What kind of numbers does it run?

19. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

that should make enough hp to go boom.

still, i love them flatheads!

20. Muttley

Muttley

21. WCD

WCD

Far side looks like OCMP Spl, near side GBP sans the nose piece.

22. rick finch

rick finch

23. rick finch

rick finch

24. rick finch

rick finch

25. rick finch

rick finch

Love this shot of Cecil Yother. I snagged this off of Phil Burgess' column on "topless" F/Cs.... go to NHRA.com to view more.

[​IMG]

26. Muttley

Muttley

27. Muttley

Muttley

28. Muttley

Muttley

29. Muttley

Muttley

30. Muttley

Muttley