Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chops in So Cal... come get your top whacked

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chillywilly, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Blacklisted

Blacklisted

Man, you guys make it look so easy! Keep up the good work!

2. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

Sorry to hear about your partners loss.

Incredible work! You guys really keep busy!

3. chillywilly

chillywilly

Thanks fellas...I'll have a little time tomorrow evening to lay some more pics of the jambs.

We are always looking for metal work... drop me a pM if you are interested and need some prices.

4. chillywilly

chillywilly

Evenin'! time for some more progress pics of the "4 door no more" conversion.

With the new doors properly stretched and the jambs fitted it's time weld the "quarter panel" in. Obviously we use the old rear door for the panel.

Attached Files:

5. chillywilly

chillywilly

I do want to make special mention of a piece that had to be made to attach the jamb to the quarter panel. It is the outermost 90* angle to accommodate the edge of the door. Hand made with a shrinker / strecher and hand tools

Attached Files:

6. chillywilly

chillywilly

After some fitting, tacking, and slow welding you can see the finished panels. I swear to you these doors shut nicer than my coupe with new hinges and latches!! Hard to believe it was a 4 door eh?

Attached Files:

7. chillywilly

chillywilly

Alright! So with the 4 door to 2 door conversion all but done... there needs to be some finishing on the interior side and the lead work for the seams, it's time to start the chop! Section taken out of a pillar with necessary relief cut at top and bottom of window for post alignment.
    Note: do these cuts before you remove the center piece and then you don't have as much "jump" in your blade - more solid

Attached Files:

8. chillywilly

chillywilly

Next remove area in c pillar area. you can see the tape layout for the cuts. Lookin good!!!

Next post I'll lay the rear window down.:cool:

Attached Files:

9. Its taking shape and looks really good!

10. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

Flawless work, and great eye for proportions ! congrats :D

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  11. chillywilly

chillywilly

Thanks guys, 'preciate it! Here's a few pics of the back window.

Due to the rear window needing to to slide forward it had to be cut free from the deck area. You can see in the pics how it has been slid forward and laid down. Check the way the roof is slit lengthwise creating "fingers" which make the metal more manageable. When you are cutting the rear window free be sure to leave ample metal surrounding for welding later. Also make sure when you weld in the structural framing for the window always weld it on the inside so you can set the glass in later

Attached Files:

12. chillywilly

chillywilly

For those of you who don't know... CLECO PINS will save your life! Tose are the pins you see in the pictures that clamp sheet metal together for fitting.
    After fitting the pieces are welded in completely are prepped for lead. I skipped ahead a bit so you could see the profile in the last pic. The deck piece is already made and welded in. Enjoy!

Remember if you need work done let me know!!!

Attached Files:

13. chillywilly

chillywilly

My partner and I are out quoting a few jobs tomorrow... anybody need us to stop by and quote anything?

14. chillywilly

chillywilly

Evenin' folks! Thought I'd throw up a few more finished pics of the sail panels and the deck as well as the overall roof being finished. Far cry from a stock 4 door eh?
    :cool:

Attached Files:

15. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

16. fryguy

fryguy

I see you have the sedan from the the beginning of this thread for sale. Can you post a pic of what the car looks like today after all the nice chop work?

Fryguy

17. Car still looks the same in bare metal grill mouth should be put in soon

18. any new updates?????