Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting new ca license plates black

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cwheelin, Mar 14, 2012.

1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Is this legal? lol

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. I am not real privy to the way the law works now but they used to pop you in the joint for it. or if you were real lucky it was your 3rd strike and you got as permanent residence.

Anyone could get lucky and get a break, I remember a CHP that used to pull me over a lot. I got pulled over with switched tags once and related my tale of woe to him. he smiled at me and said, "Benno you know what your problem is? You have no respect for the law." Then he handed me a 20 dollar bill and told me to go license my bike.

One may just get lucky and find cops with a sense of humor. Myself I don't think that is very common.

There is something that I don't understand, how can you encourage someone to commit a felony?

Scootermad,
    You are the voice of sanity my friend. I am so glad that someone gets it. :cool:

3. I'm not encouraging anyone. Actually quite the opposite. Personally, I wouldn't alter a plate, even as simple as a repaint. Don't want the hassle. I work in a business where a felony means a loss of a security clearance. I've had that clearance for over 30 years, and I'm not putting myself in a situation to lose it over something so silly.

My post was to highlight the point that cops won't immediately throw you in jail for repainting. I ran this by a few of my cop buddies and they all said that they would make the violator surrender his painted plates and go get new ones via a fix-it ticket. Trust me, it won't be cheap for the violator, and he'll be in the system for the offense. Second offense, shame on him, and he'll get to eat jail food for a few days.

In your post, you said that you got pulled over for switched tags. Big difference. When the tag doesn't match the registration, your ass is grass. When your tags match the registration and you're the registered owner with repainted plates, you'll lose your pretty plates, you'll pay the fine, pay for the new plates, and spend some time in the DMV line requesting an amended registration. A giant hassle, all for trying to look cool.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  4. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I start a thread about questioning the stamping of vin # on a new frame and it gets closed because the "Hamb doesnt support illegally doing such things". This idiot starts a thread about doing something plain as day illegal and people are convincing him to do it and "screw the law" and it's now 5 pages deep. how about that....

5. 117harv

117harv

Attached Files:

6. Ok, I got it figured out how you can test the waters on this.
    Paint them however you like, and first day you run them is April 1.
    If you get pulled over, just play dumb and say a friend must have done that as a prank.
    Or just don't do it FFS!!!

7. Hey saint Patty's day is right around the corner.... think I will paint mine green for the day ... it will a kick! ...sheesh!

8. Kramer

Kramer

Part of it is who you know here, and who you are on here. I have had threads closed for posting pictures of cars that were HAMB friendly, but the car show wasn't. Then two days later someone posts pictures from a car show that is considered HAMB friendly, but a picture or two are not. The thread stays and people are ohhhing and ayyying over the cars. Go figure.

9. Hey if you're lucky enough to just get a fine,just draw another zero on a $10. to make a hundred and pay it.
    That should be OK too. :D

10. metalix_421

metalix_421

ok ok ok just do it then. they have tried to warn you, but hey let us know how it goes for you. good luck and let us know how big the ticket is as well

11. the-rodster

the-rodster

12. the-rodster

the-rodster

Now, driving with an expired license.....

THAT will cause trouble :)

[​IMG]

13. firingorder1

firingorder1

"Come an get me". Looks like they did.

14. Rodster,
    I think that you are missing the point. He is not talking about restoring an old tag like a YOM, or even running a classic tag. What he is talking about is taking a new California tag and painting it a different color. This is in a state where there are cities that it is illegal to smoke a cigarette outside in your own yard. They have laws about the laws there.

It has been pointed out that it is not a mere violation of the penal code, like say spitting on the sidewalk but that it is a felony. Not just by people like me who know from knowing, but by fellas that have actually went and found the state statutes.

I thiinl he has ben given some pretty sound edvice, but I know that he has already decided to do it anyway. It may happen that in a month or so eh will be posting about how cruel the govt of his state is, when he is either trying to get his car out of impound or just after he has made bail and hoping that it doesn't hurt too bad after he gets used ot it.

15. 5window

5window

Yep

16. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Frankly I'm surprised that the DMV hasn't dragged out the old press dies and started selling "legal" repro YOM plates for like $100.00 a set; they'd undercut the vintage plate dealers and still make a profit. Of course that would kill the value of the two clear sets of '56-'62 plates I've kept for a rainy day...

17. cwheelin

cwheelin

Stamping the vin (TO ME) is alot different than just repainting what is already there. Im not stamping anything new onto the plates but just "restoring" what I already have. And the ones who said go do it-were joking and wanted me to get busted...

Just so everyone knows I decided against it...But if I do get a set of vintage plates and they need new paint then I would do it in a heartbeat but trying to do it on the newer CA plates just wont work. (yes most of you out of state people dont even know what plates I am talking about so you shouldnt even name call)

It was an honest question that has been done but to the newer plates I guess not which was all I was asking. I wasnt saying, hey if I found this car and it needed new numbers what can I do,etc...I thought it was an legitimate question that I thought was common but I guess only on the older plates.. Didnt really expect all this drama but really appreciate the few that were cool about it

18. 210Grinding

210Grinding

aaaahhhhh hhahahahaha

19. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

A friend of mine did these for a guy's '32 when he pinstriped it. You think this would run afoul with Johnny Law?

[​IMG]

20. LOVE the music on that video. Flatt and Scruggs can tear it up!!

I'm gonna go watch it again......and jam out.

21. ratbassturd

ratbassturd

I have painted mine. No problems at all. I have many CHP friends. They say most will not give you any problems unless ofcourse they are on a piece of crap that deserves harrasing. Do it it looks good. See mine !

Attached Files:

22. Christ, I must be public enemy #1!!! Been running this CA personal plate painted black for 8 years. The california is not raised, it's airbrushed and shadowed. Had 2 different CHP officers tell me the car was cool, and didn't even mention the plate. Cops have too much important stuff to worry about today to worry about plates, unless they are stolen.

[​IMG]

23. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Any invitation to offer any police officer, state trooper, county sheriff, constable or deputy to pull me over and inspect my vehicle for any and all violations, "walk the car", doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I hate $5 a gallon gas but I hate not riding even more.

24. Its not just the cops in california its also the meter-maids (parking) ...

They give tickets also. In california the CHP is pretty cool about overlooking the fact I dont have a front plate on my OT plastic ultra-fast Chevrolet ... its the meter maids that hand out the tickets for no front plate .... they would be like white on rice with the painted plate felony the OP is proposing .... dang when does this thread end??

25. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Instead of wasting our time and taking up forum space,let the FNG do what he wants. Sounds like he's gonna do what he wants anyway. I'ts his ass, let him roast it!!!

26. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I painted mine four years ago . with the same results , no problemo.

27. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I wouldn't suggest blue..

Attached Files:

28. the-rodster

the-rodster

And what's with some states no longer embossing the letters?

They look cheezy!

Rich

29. 327 stude p.u

327 stude p.u

Most states license plates are reflective so that would be a dead give away at night

30. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

One way around the problem. Correct colors are white on black.

Attached Files: