Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best reaction you have gotten from people?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 8, 2011.

1. grazy

grazy

When I was young my dad bought a 57 Ford Fairlane out of a field in Missouri . We brought it home installed a 351 Cleveland in it went through the brakes and lowered it made all the suspension and brakes up to date . We drove it from the middle of the state of Ohio up to New Holland Michigan for a leadsled show . Now this car still had sun baked factory black and yellow paint ragged interior looked heavy in patina back when patina wasnt cool. We stopped at a local gas staion for gas and coffee a local woman walked by looked at the car with face of anger then noticed our out of state plates she walked over to me as I pumped gas and shouted "You drove that thing all the way here ! from Ohio ?" Angry like we endangered the lives of everyone on the road we encountered along the way . Then got in her car and left . When my dad came out and told I him we couldnt believe it and still joke about that one everytime we get a new project car out on the road for the first drive .

2. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

My shop is next (very close!) to a small house with an older couple living there. The wife is more or less def but she loves the sound from my car... She comes over each time I start it up. I'll take her for a ride one of these days.

3. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

This summer my 4 yr. old grandson came to visit, upon arrival he asked if he could see what was in the garage. I opened the door and he said "Grandpa, you got two Hot Wheels". Made my day!!!!

4. Often stated:( My roadster has road maps scribbled all over the door panels recording my longer roadtrips) After reading, people look the jalopy over and ask, "did you really...what did you do when it rained...you dont have any top...did you get wet?....That is SO COOL" Makes my smile everytime.

5. No Unhappy face intended?

6. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Stopped at a red light in my '63 Impala

Pedestrian crossing the street infront of me stopped and yelled "HEY PENDECKO!"

7. s1buell

s1buell
    from Indiana

I had the hood off on my sedan and I was sitting at a red light. The stereotypical mom in a minvan was sitting next to me for a couple seconds and then pulls forward into the crosswalk. Mom rolls down her window and yells back "he wanted me to pull forward so he could see the engine". I look over to see what appears to be a 5 yr old boy who was all grins.. I waved and rev'd the engine for him. As I passed her after the light changed, the mom like her son was all smiles with that "thank you" look on her face. I think that it made my day as much as that future hot rodder.

8. Adrian Rollini

Adrian Rollini

Had a bum ask me MTF is that thing suppose to be, and all the kids in the area laughing at me in my Packard when I got it. I felt like a clown with different shades of primer.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  9. derelict

derelict

My son and I were in my coupe and pulled into a store in San Dimas. Pete Eastwood was coming out and he walked up to my car and siad to me "I've really like that car". Made my day...

10. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

This was posted by ratster in the "Essex" thread yesterday..."Boyd who, some day i'll own your truck..."
    Made my day!! :)

11. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I haven't had my Coupe too long but I get a lot of funny looks when I drive it, I guess because I'm younger. I had a fella at the gas station tell me "that's a beautiful truck". I drove it past an elementary the other day and the little kids really got a kick out of it. :cool:

[​IMG]

12. billy zz

billy zz

my young nephew told me my car looked pissed off.
    what a complement!

13. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

years ago driving the interstate to a show in my 72 Nova, cop pulls right up on my rear bumper. after a little ways he pulls out around me and slows down beside me and is looking the car over. then pulls ahead and I can see he's looking in the mirror. Im starting to get nervous about getting pulled over when he moves back over and slows so he is right beside me again then smiles and gives me the thumbs up.:D

14. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

I was driving my old model A on Woodward during the dream cruise weekend and was attracting a little more attention than i should have.. when i notice the cop in the parking lot beside me waving for me to pull over into the angled parking along the road. I think he's after me for a noise violation for sure, as i'm running around with open pipes in a 13:1 big block running on alcohol acting like an ass. He gets out of his cruiser... walks around the car and stands next to the drivers door looking right in the roof at me. The car is like 4 feet tall so i feel like a bug under a microscope.... He starts asking about the car all giddy like. Turns out he's a total car nut and was flipping out about it. I kind of let on that its a pretty "illegal" car in some ways and his responce is was "You'd have to run over a small child with this before i'd give you a ticket!" I seriously almost shit myself...

Attached Files:

15. When I had my truck at my
    Buddies house starting the body-work, a friend if his was sitting with us out front. We were chatting about the truck when he tells me " man i would totally kill someone for this truck". Thought that was pretty cool, especially with all the crap I've been through with it, made it seem like all my work was actually appreciated.

16. Several years ago at a drive-in cruise night with my '67 Coronet sleeper two guys were walking past my car. Hood was closed of course. The first guy was laughing at my unwashed plain looking car that looked like a beat-up stocker. The second guy then says to the first guy: "Don't laugh, I have seen this one run at the track."

Priceless...

Almost as cool is the reactions I get on the return road after making a pass down the dragstrip - everything from dumbfounded stares to two thumbs up...

17. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thats probably the best one I've read so far...hahahah. I've seen your car around town, it's badass!!

18. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

I was leaving a MoPar and Vette show, driving my '68 GTO (I was there as a spectator and to help out my buddy with his '65 Satellite). It must have taken me at least 10 minutes to drive a short distance to the road because people kept stopping me so they could take pictures of my car. Really NOT what I was expecting out of a MoPar and Vette crowd. I'll never forget that as long as I live!

19. chopped

chopped

First trip to Louisville and I'm going thru the main entrance. Guy with a camera jumps out in the road to get a head on shot of the 36, made us feel pretty good.

20. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

one of my favorites happened when I rode my latest motorcycle to my grandparents. Tey all heard me pull up on it and came out to take a look. My grandmother was interested in my latest creation and started asking questions and telling me how nice it was. Then she said, "It sure is nice, but too bad it says Yamaha on the side." Cracked me up! She likes to keep up on the projects coming and going through the shop.

Here's the bike;

Attached Files:

vtx1800 likes this.
  21. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

I know I'm an old man, had a couple of people ask me
    if I bought my 29' Roadster new!

22. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Was putting grocery's in the trunk of the 49 Sled , (chopped slammed, flamed, etc. )and an old Mennonite woman pushing her shopping cart asked me, Young man ( I'm 65) is that a Hudson ? I said no it's a Mercury.
    She looked at it a bit and said " Well you ruined it and went on her way.

23. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

A buddy of mine stopped by yesterday to see the wifes toy after I got it sanded and buffed. He says "is that the same car?,, you totally saved that one."

[​IMG]

This guy has been a hot rodder since they were new and his opinion carries a lot of wieght with me so I was stoked at his responce.

24. I drove my '60 and was at weinerschnitzel having lunch. Before I left I went to the counter to get a refill on my ice tea and the dude behind the counter says "is that your classic?" I said "yeah" and the girl behind him says "Woo hoo I won!" Seems they had a bet as to who owned the car.

25. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I had a 46 Military Dodge WC26. Biiig suburban looking thing. 270 Hemi red ram. I was sitting at a light when this old lady yells at me to pull over. I thought something was falling off and she was helping me. She said how she built these during the war.
    Naturally I HAD to give Rosie the Riveter a good long ride. I definatley saw a twenty year old come out of that nice lady. She was all smiles, even though the roof had some issues and she got rust in her hair.

vtx1800 likes this.
  26. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Fantastic thread!

When I got my 31 Pontiac in 1998 I didn't have a license yet as I was only 15... but I had been driving on the road since I was 11, so I wanted to go for a run in the car, no license, no insurance, no plates... no problem! I threw the plate on from dads van and away I went... got pulled over by the RCMP on the highway about 15 km from home... I was shitting bricks... I was sure I was screwed... the cop walks up slowly, eying my car up and don... gets to the drivers window... and asks me "what kind of car is this?" I tell him, "1931 Pontiac 401 Sport sedan, I've had it for less then a week" He looks at me, says "Cool, I hope I see it around more" and walks back to his car and drives away...

I was so confused, I'm pretty well know in my area, even then... I went straight home!

I look back now and think of how cool of a guy he was, probably figured if I was a car guy I was being more responsible then the average idiot.

I get a lot of weird respect in my 36 GMC, people let me in in traffic more frequently, I get the thumbs up all the time, anytime I stop people ask me about it and take photos and videos, get a lot of that while driving too.

January last year I started driving my 36 GMC tow truck, all my other stuff was either not drivable in the winter or dead... so I drove the 36 all winter in one of the coldest winters here in 35 years... and I had no interior, no insulation and no speedometer... but needs must and I was on the road in it... I came across a cop driving presumably under the limit on the highway, a line of cars half a mile long behind him as they were all afraid to pass... I pull out and get up to what I think is the speed limit and pass him... all he did was grin!

But a few months ago I was speeding into town to go to the hospital, I was moving pretty fast, and I came around a curve and there was a checkstop or something and with those they pullover every vehicle and do sobriety checks and check your papers etc. I get close and I am thinking if this is a speed trap I'm screwed, if it's anything else I just don't have the time, I felt like I was dying and did not want to waste the time... next thing I know a cop sees me coming and moves some cones and waves me through, so I gun it and wave thanks as I go... all I saw was a big grin and a wave back!

I get all sorts of Mater comments about it every time I am out in it, kids like it, adults love it!

I've gotten a few cool ones driving my 46 Ford Glass-top bus, it was a Brewster tour bus int he Banff area from 46 to 51 or so, and when I would be out I would occasionally get elderly couples flagging me down because they took the icefield trip in it back in the late 40's, or went on a ski trip in it or one of the others, the looks on their faces reliving the memories makes it all worthwhile!

No specific comments really stand out to me, just a lot of the general ones I get a lot, but they still make me happy!

I got this attached comment on my truck online... would have been better in person!

(I'm QuanticChaos1000)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  27. Best reaction? Someone coughing and rolling up their window at a light in 90 degree weather because it smelled. :D

28. sir

sir

I had a woman at a show tell me that that wood bed in our 66 chevy pick up looked better than the wood floors in her house.....

29. My wifes grandmother walked into my back yard and saw my avitar and got soo excited (she is usually a freakin stick in the mud and gumpy about everything) she starts laughing and talking a million miles an hour about how when she was in high school the cute football star took her out for her first date in an A.D. She wanted to sit in the passenger seat so I opened the door helped her in. We talked for like twenty minutes sitting in the cab. she actually slide over and sat in the middle, she sayed she loved how these truck had three on the tree so she could sit in the middle and not get her knees hit by the shifter. My wife was dumbstruck when we got out and walked back over. She askes me about it every time we talk.:D

30. brianj

brianj

I had just finished my old sportster, and was out taking it for a ride. I stopped at a red light, and an older woman (probably in her seventies) pulled up and stopped at the same light. I looked over, and saw she was looking at me. I smiled, just to be friendly. She then proceeded to roll up her window and lock her door. I was laughing so hard I stalled out the bike and had to wait through another red light cycle.