Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Photos taken before WW2 - history in black and white

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twin6, Jun 13, 2010.

1. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

I was probably told what the cars were but have long since forgotten. Here are a few more.

Attached Files:

2. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Here's our downtown in 1912. Anyone recognize the runabout in the lower right?

-Dave

Attached Files:

4. Nice wide street

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I guess they knew in a hundred years they'd need a center turn lane. :D

-Dave

6. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

3-Wheeled Circa Early-20's 'Mystery Car'

I came across this on the net on the
    Old Motor.Com site. Does anybody
    here know what this 'thing' is? The
    people at 'Old Motor' don't and
    they'd like to know!

Mart3406
    ----------------------------
    http://theoldmotor.com/?p=35085
    "This three-wheeled oddity shown
    in a press photo, dated March 19,
    1921, shows what we believe
    maybe a European design of a
    small and maneuverable city car.
    We have seen photos of this brand
    before but cannot place it, so once
    more we are going to ask you, our
    readers to fill in the details on this
    unusual little car. The Old Motor
    photo.
    "
    =====================

Attached Files:

7. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

Here is a picture of my Uncle Larry taken in 1942 in Portland, Oregon. The car is a 1933 Chevrolet Master that was modified for high performance. The term "Hot Rod" was not yet in use. I was an orphan and was raised by my grandparents. I remember going to a towing company where they had wrecked cars for sale and watching Larry buy a late model wrecked Chevrolet, probably a 1941 and get the engine and running gear out of it which he installed in the 1933. He installed aluminum pistons among other things. I rode around in the car with him when I was 5 years old.
    Some people may wonder about the people in these old photographs. Larry died of old age about two weeks ago. After he built that Chevrolet he enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Force and became a pilot flying A-20 surveilance photo recon. planes which were unarmed and the predecessor of the U-2 and SR-71.
    After he got out of the Air Force after World War Two he bought a small sawmill with his brother and spent the rest of his life in the logging and lumber business. He owned an AT-6 which he used as a private plane on trips from the northern Idaho woods to the big city to buy parts for equipment.
    He influenced me to be a lifelong six cylinder Chevrolet nut. When I was old enough I went in the Air Force myself. He was truly a member of "The Greatest Generation". We drove to his memorial service in Northern Idaho.
    So that is just one story about who the people may be with the old cars you see in these photographs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
    Stogy likes this.
  8. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

not sure if this has been posted. Its a dame inspecting aircraft wiring on a production line.

[​IMG]

9. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

lets put some power back into this thread.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I find this photo kind of fascinating.

[​IMG]
    Saginaw, Michigan, circa 1928.

Attached Files:

11. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Photo taken at University of Nebraska at Lincoln Test Farm in McCook Nebraska April 14th 1938. Car is a 1937 Chevrolet and I do know more about the picture if any one is interested.

Attached Files:

12. tbird37821

tbird37821

the old mill, gone now, in newport tennessee.

[​IMG]

13. pnegyesi1973

pnegyesi1973

Can we resurrect this thread?

[​IMG]
    A Packard bodied by the Danziger Karosseriefabrik in Poland

[​IMG]
    Mr Philips Beriel on his way from Beyrouth to Lyon in Chevrolet. Picture was taken at the Buda Castle in Budapest

[​IMG]

A Studebaker fire truck in China.

Would you like to see more pictures from the collection of the National Archives?

14. graham_paige

graham_paige
    from Australia

Don't know if it has been answered before, but its a 1828 8 Cylinder Graham Paige. Its a fairly well known pic

15. Mart

Mart

Yes, please, that would be great!

Mart.

16. Mart

Mart

Let me try some:

[​IMG]

Description: "Photograph of the Hon. C.S. Rolls' autocar with HRH The Duke of York, Lord Llangattock [Rolls' father], Sir Charles Cust and the Hon. C.S. Rolls as occupants", taken by John Howard Preston.

Charles Stewart Rolls went on to co-found Rolls-Royce in 1904. The photograph shows 'The Hendre', the family's gothic mansion in Monmouthshire.

Date: 1900

[​IMG]

Description: German Graf Zeppelin flies over St. Paul's Cathedral while on a press visit to London.

Date: 1930

[​IMG]

Description: Britain's R 101 airship under construction at the Royal Airship Works, Cardington.

Date: c.1928

From the National Archives.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  17. pnegyesi1973

pnegyesi1973

Yes, some of the pictures are online, but I'd be happy to share which I believe are not available from the website of the Naitonal Archives.
    I've scanned about 150 pictures from the materials of the Department of Commerce related to motoring in pre-war Czechoslovakia, Poland, naturally Hungary, China, New Zealand etc. I'll upload some more soon

18. MrModelT

MrModelT

Been a while since I sough any new action here....so lets revive it a bit with some new photos...from the factory, for all of you experts to mull over. I'm curious to know what all all you guys think.

Enjoy :D

Attached Files:

19. MrModelT

MrModelT

a few more:

Attached Files:

20. noboD

noboD

Cool pics Clayton, nothing lo-buck there. As a plug for the AACA, they are selling thousands of factory photos on Ebay useing aacalibrarian as a seller's name. All black and white, mostly pre-war. They put up differant batches every Friday. $$ goes for upkeep of the library which anyone can access from their website for research.

21. va3ngc

va3ngc
    from Canada

One of my friends is actually related to the guy that started that company. Unfortunately she didn't know much more than that. There is also a book called "Cars of Canada" which has a section on this company. If you like I could scan and email you an excerpt from it.

Apparently there is only one car still extant which is located in the Canada Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa. Here is a picture of it.

http://www.canadiancar.technomuses.ca/eng/frise_chronologique-timeline/1910/

22. YosemiteKate

YosemiteKate
    from New Jersey

Hi there,
    I'm wondering about the possibility of using your photograph of a Pierce automobile in a book I'm writing on Yosemite. In fact, I joined this website so I could text you to ask about this! It would be easier for me to get email outside the website: [email protected]
    Thanks!
    Kate Ogden
    Stockton College, New Jersey

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Here's the back-side of our train station here in Bay City, back when it was fairly new. I wish I could read the writing across the bottom - it looks like there was a road rally either starting or making a stop.

Attached Files:

24. noboD

noboD

Some letters seem backwards to me.

25. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I guess it's possible, but I'm pretty sure I see "Bay Co." at the start of the second line, which would be appropriate as this is Bay County.

26. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Typically they inscribe the negatives into the emulsion side, which is on the back. So they have to do it in reverse, so it is right reading from the front. Kind of hard to do :) Oh, and they only get one shot at it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  27. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

1914 Pierce Arrow in front of the El Tovar Hotel at the Grand Canyon circa 1922. Fred Harvey photo.

[​IMG]

Historic photo from Grand Canyon National Park's Museum Collection, P.O. Box 129, Grand Canyon, AZ 86023

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  28. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/grand_canyon_nps/6686083147/" title="03552A Grand Canyon National Park Touring by Grand Canyon NPS, on Flickr">[​IMG]</a>

Grand Canyon National Park Touring

STRING OF FRED HARVEY TOURING CARS ON THE EL TOVAR HILL. PUBLIC GARAGE BEHIND. CIRCA 1921. FRED HARVEY CO. Historic photo from Grand Canyon National Park's Museum Collection, P.O. Box 129, Grand Canyon, AZ 86023

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  29. noboD

noboD

OK, I'll bite. What is a Fred Harvey touring car?

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus