Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting new ca license plates black

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cwheelin, Mar 14, 2012.

1. mikes29

mikes29
    from kentucky

I live in Kentucky, just like Cali except more red necks ha ha. We have antique plates and all we have to do is keep the tag in the car. I made a plate out of sheet metal put 29 rpu on it and ol' kentuck, instead of Kentucky. We have a state statue that states you can run a tag from the year your car was made or a replica. I have had one cop stop me in 2 year that tried to make me put my real plate on. I showed them a copy of the statue, he didn't like it but let me go.

2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have 1927 Colorado plates that have been repainted to match the car. CHP officer thought it was neat, but a good excuse to pull me over. I do have personalized current Colorado plates that match the numbers on the '27 plates under the seat.

3. I was dicking around with an old Blue plate .... experminting on paint viscosity to restore my black and yellow ones (the real deals) ... and this was my start ... I thought it was cool, a seven diget blackie!

Attached Files:

4. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

All good here in Az
    [​IMG]

5. California would'nt think about making the poor inmates stamp license plates that would be cruel an inhumane!

6. True ... it would put an illegal out of a job .... oh, I forgot, no politics!

7. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I'm with you so-cal.......I got a feeling this guy would argue with a stop sign.

8. 210Grinding

210Grinding

hahaha that's jacked up ya'll just want to see the poor guy get busted hahaha

9. I don't live in California but I did live there for thirty years (yes, Southern California) So I will attempt to give advice. Your right in no state do you "own" the license plate or tag. It is illegal to alter plates I think in all states. If you live in a one plate only state, you can have anything on the front you want. When the new Oregon plates with the stupid tree came out, I outlined the mountain with a nice contrasting color on my son's 37 Chevy Coupe. He got pulled over the next day, sorry son.

10. Chefbiz62

Chefbiz62
    from Omaha, Ne

Good luck!!!!

Attached Files:

11. I painted a set of blue and yellow plates black and yellow and only one guy ever caught it, and it was at at a show. asked me how come i painted them black and yellow and i played dumb and i said "original color" and he says not so young man, them are blue and yellow originally. after a few minutes and some more bs'ing he says he is an ex chp and that the sequence is wrong, black were letters first then numbers and blue were numbers then letters. I told him he was the first to ever catch it and he says most cops don't pay much attention to the order. But you do a new set and with the new combo, their is no way you won't get caught.

12. IRISH13

IRISH13
    from SoCal

I have seen the new style CA plates done in black on 3 different hotrods at shows. Guess they didnt get caught. You are allowed to buy black plates and register them to you car if its 1962 and older in CA. I asked DMV. I personally had my friend do my blue plates black, he's a pinstriper, and I have yet to have any problem.

13. good golly.

is this conversation still taking place?

break the law (yes, altering a CA issued state license plate is breaking the law. period.)

risk getting busted.

proceed with caution. take your chances.

consequences to be determined.

sheesh.

close thread.

14. 5window

5window

All it takes is one cranky policeman having a bad day.I have always checked my gas tank with a lit match. Never had a problem yet.

Run legitimate plates on the street, put on your fancy ones at the show when your car sits still.

We are we wasting time with stupidity?

15. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I have some advise for you. Go buy a cheap plastic smooth wallpaper roller. Roll in in some paint, blot it on an old magazine to get the excess paint even on the roller, then roll the paint over the raised letters. I'd use one shot lettering paint. The paint will hit the right spots and the edges will turn out even easily.

Now, that reminds me. I was out driving around in my roadster this weekend with 1923 plates on it. I looked over in the door panel where I keep my current tag, and realized I never bought plates since recieving my new title. I could have gotten in some trouble, off to the DMV today for me.:eek:

16. 117harv

117harv

X2:cool:

17. Pre 63 is yellow with black letters ... 63-69 passenger cars are black with yellow lettering

.... all the people with pre-63 plates had to turn them into DMV (alot just kept them) for the blackies ... that was in 1963. Pops gave me the "chore" of doing the switch on the Rocket 88 in that year.

Since then DMV has allowed people to go back to the old plates on the YOM program.

..... OK now close the thread!!!

18. So I remember as clearly as though it were yesterday. I was sitting with my new roomy in my new home in Soledad, Bubba was his name. He looks down at me from his bunk and says, " Whajaya get kid?" I looked up at him as proud as a rooster and said, "painted my license plate." Quick as a flash he was beside me, large tatooed arm around my neck. "Tha's my boooooy," was all he said. :eek:

19. Close this thread ..... pleeeze! LOL

20. What you didn't like my parody? ;)

21. I thought this guy would be incarcerated by now.
    Come on, paint the plates.
    What's the worst that can happen?

22. Ya know when I was a young man most (if not all) my friends were dirty no goods. They spent a lot of time trying to teach the younger fellas how not to get arrested, some of us paid attention. The others ended up with 6'4" fiancés named Bubba. :eek:

But this thread should saty after all this is tech week and this is just your basic keep it on the road with a minimum of hastles tech. :rolleyes:

23. Common sense is pretty low tech, but tech none the less. :D

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  24. the-rodster

the-rodster

Geezus H...

You ask a question like this on here and you will get 100+ naysayers on their soapboxes.

Just do it.

I've painted the plates on all of my old cars, whatever colors suite the build style..

Black with beige letters, black with yellow letters, etc.

Rich

25. I am not a nay sayer at all. I have lived in good old sunny Calif on and off starting when I was 3. Soledad or Que are always an option when you do something that makes you look like a car thief or a bank robber.

After that you could actually land in Supermax when you decide to explain to Bubba in terms that he can understand that you do not really want to be his wife.

Sounds like a slippery slope argument doesn't it. The Suipermax thinbg is probably a little out there, but they say that a blanket party in San Quenten is a strong possibility in the spring. :eek:

26. the-rodster

the-rodster

"
    Historic vehicles may display an authentic Kentucky license plate, twenty-five (25) years or older, or a reproduction of such a plate, if the historic motor vehicle plate and the registration receipt are kept in the vehicle at all times.
    "

Yeah, but I was pulled over twice the first week I ran them, so I went back to the historic plates.

It gets old, explaining the law to a police officer.

Rich

27. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I'm all for it! Go ahead and make sure to post a picture.

Pat

28. A lot of this all depends on the cop. If you're nice and not trying to be a dickweed, you'll get a fix-it ticket, which will mean that you'll have to spend the money and time on a new set of plates and surrender your painted plates.

If you want to be an asshole to the cop, he can make your life hell. He'll break out the ticket book and rip your car from one side to the other. Be nice, admit fault, play dumb if you have to, have a nice day.

All of the talk about getting thrown in the slammer is complete bullshit. Yes, the law states that altering a plate is a felony, but do you honestly think that they're going to go through all of the expense and time to prosecute a person for painting a plate that has digits that exactly matches the registration of the car?

You'll get your dick slapped with a fix-it, but you won't go to jail. If you cut the plate into pieces and change the numbering and weld it back together, yeah, that's a felony and you're in big trouble.
    The hand-wringing comments on this thread are hilarious.

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. I'm amazed by this thread and all the threads asking about stamping numbers and using purchased titles, and... Geesh.

First off, I know of at least one police officer that has responded to this thread. Nothing like just asking the whole world, "I'm thinking of doing something illegal. Have you guys done something illegal and got away with it? Do you think I could get away with it?" That's basically the question being asked, in it's root form.

What's more amazing is that it was asked and still argued about after numerous people say "it's illegal".

And what's even MORE amazing is the people posting pictures of their cars with illegal plates. AWESOME!

Just buy real ones. Buying real ones will be WAY less of a dent to your budget than the fine and bail you'll have to post.

Everyone that keeps doing all this illegal shit is screwing it up for everyone that wants to do it LEGITIMATELY. Pretty soon it won't be done at all in California...