Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever ship parts to Cuba?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pauly da mick, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

Hi folks, this is a bit random but I have a friend of a friend in Cuba who needs a windshield for a 58 Fairlane,(not sure yet if its a 500 or not.)

Due to the embargo I'm thinking maybe I should go thru a Canadian or South American supplier?
    Anyone have a link to a company that could help keep this lovely old American barge on the road?

Any help will be greatly apreciated. Pauly..

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I would go through someone in mexico city. There is a guy here on the hamb from mexico city maybe he can help out.

3. Exactly. Why would you go through a supplier that is close to IL, speaks the same language, and has possibly actually heard of a '58 Fairlane?

There is "a guy" from Mexico on the HAMB. There are a couple thousand Canadians.

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Well mostly because its illegal to ship things to cuba from america. I know from experience that lots of people in mexico ship things to cuba. Also lots of international shippers speak english. How many canadians shippers speak spanish?

5. atomickustom

atomickustom

I believe the only legal way for you to do this is to ship your windshield to a resident of another country. That person may then decide, on their own, to ship it to someone in Cuba.
    I think it might be a violation of the U.S. embargo to ship something to someone in Cuba using a third party. See what I mean?
    For details you might want to look here: http://www.cubatrade.org/TransactionsWithCuba.pdf
    That'll get you started.

6. Contact this fella, he is in Argentina I believe.

ratamahata

he may be willing to help you out.

Yes it is illegal to sell things to Cuba, but it is not illegal to ship gifts, lots of Cuban Americans ship gifts to their family from the united States. What may kill you is the gift windshield going through customs, he is going to pay way more than it is worth to get it just because it is from America and it si not a little package.

Good luck
    Benno

7. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

He will not have to pay more than it is worth if there is a declaration form attached with a set amount. It is worth what is declared no more no less.

8. Moondog13

Moondog13

Hey man, there are plenty of places here in Miami that ship direct to Cuba. I'm not sure about restrictions, but it might be worth looking into. I know my neighbor had shipped carbs and such over there. :D

9. You don't pay US value on tarrif you pay what they decide the value is.

In fact you could even get your good caught up in a Japanese Quarintine, it stays on the dock until you satisfy whomever has their hand out.

10. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

I believe its still a crime to ship an item to another country and then have them ship it to Cuba. If you are selling something to someone in Cuba, no matter how many intermediaries you use, you are breaking the law and if you get caught you could face some stiff fines.

However if money wasn't being exchanged, DHL is really your only reliable shipping option, and they can help you determine what items are prohibited and what items are OK. Some items are prohibited even if you aren't selling them.

*edit - here's the official sanction...

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba.txt

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Let's see it's been more than 50 years. How is that trade embargo working so far?

12. Fenders

Fenders

This is beginnning to sound like "how do I get a title to a 1932 Ford?"

The Cuban embargo is 100% political, and if it weren't for the Cubans in Miami there would be no embargo today.
    And if you wonder why, consider that "dry foot Cubans" are welcome here, while Mexicans are not (oh maybe the Rio Grande gets their feet wet...).

"Sell it" to a friend in Canada or Mexico. What he does with it should be none of your concern.

13. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Do not let all of the replies discourage you just find a shipper that ships to Cuba it is not to difficult.

Import customs tariff

Cuba's tariff system is based on the Harmonized Tariff System (HTS).
    For imports from most-favored nations, duty rates average 10-11 percent; maximum is 30%. Otherwise duty rates may be slightly higher (average 17 percent). Additional taxes/surcharges such as sales tax, consular fees, and port charges may apply.
    A new tariff was implemented in January, 2008.
    Tariff information can be obtained directly from the Cuban Customs website: http://www.aduana.co.cu (in Spanish).
    Select "Actividad Comercial", then "Arancel Comercial".
    For tariff and tax information see GISTnet heading: Laws, Customs, Tariff and Tax Information.

14. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

By the way, I'm just stating what the law is, not what my opinion is about the embargo. Personally I think it should have been lifted 30 years go. But wouldn't you feel a little guilty if you told him to just sell it to a friend in Canada (hint, hint, nudge, nudge) and then he gets busted? I know I would. Just doesn't seem worth it to me.

15. I could tell you what I found the last time I was there but it would sound political. Suffice to say if you don't go head to head with the boss you are going to be fine. Hmmmmmn a lot like the united States.

But I think with my next statement I can cross line here with one statement and I have really made any waves her recently so here goes politics and religion in one fell swoop:

Havana taxi driver to the 'beaner and his Cuban friend," Americans and Cubans have two things in common". The 'beaner to the taxi driver," And what would that be?" The taxi driver in return, "We are both waiting for the death of Castro and the second comming of Christ."

Think about it. ;)

OK that's probably good for a month of name calling and meddling in one fell swoop.

16. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

This isn't the place to be critical of US foreign policy........eh?

17. Forieghn is just that, if someone has a problem with that or the dry foot cubans it is best taken up with someone who can make a difference. We have nothing to do with it.

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm not criticizing it. I am trying to figure out what it is. I have to figure the policy is a roaring success or they would not have kept it unchanged for so long. What I am not sure of is what benefit it is bringing to the US or to Cuba.

19. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Crate it up good , put box dimensions , metric & weight , gross & net in Kg. on two sides. Name and address where it's coming from and Name and address of company it's going to, on other two sides.
    It's best to use a broker, you have forms that have to filled out, it must be fumigated before shipment, 10+2 forms, etc. etc.

Ship thru Mexico ( just check the web for Mexican brokers)and mark your paperwork, "Sample for manufacture evaluation, no commercial value " and value it at $2.00.
    We do it all the time.

20. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

The embargo is not supposed to benefit Cuba. It denies Castro that final victory, gives the US a bargaining chip if they ever want to use it and if it were lifted today a civil war could ensue. Cuban-Americans are big proponents of the embargo and the biggest reason it's still in effect.

21. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

Thanks for the great info folks!!

You'd think as a former resident of Northern Ireland I'd have the ol' Border Hopping down pat! ;)

I myself don't have a part to sell. A friend of mine who isn't a car person has a friend in Cuba who needs the windshield. I was thinking that due to the embargo she couldn't ship direct from the USA.
    The whole via Miami thing might work out really well as she herself is a Florida resident!

22. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

Here's a pic of the handsome beast in question.:D

I'm not really sure if its a 500 or not? Do the 58s have the different sizes of glass depending on the model just like the 57s did?
    I can't remember.

[​IMG]

23. Put a maple leaf decaL on the windshield ... customs will just"ASSUME"wont know!! LOL