Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953-1956 Ford F100 Resto Advice

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by dqnguyen56, Mar 14, 2012.

1. dqnguyen56

dqnguyen56
    from san diego

Hey All. I’m new to this site and I’m planning my first restoration. With this being my first time, I’m hoping to get some guidance and knowledge from some experienced people. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    The project is going to be a ’53-’56 Ford F100… hopefully I can find a ’55. My total budget would be about $20,000. I plan to spend $8k-10k for the truck itself, and the balance for any upgrades.
    I want to restore this truck to be my daily driver, so I want it to be reliable and also a smooth ride.
    What suspension do you guys recommend? I was thinking about the corvette IFS and IRS but I also was thinking about keeping it all Ford? I’m looking into dropping it a couple of inches but I would also like to be able to use the truck as a truck at times and be able to use the bed of the truck.
    Thanks again for any advice.

2. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Big fan of those years....had a '55 F100 myself.

Post this in the general discussion section where you'll get all the info. you're looking for.

3. dqnguyen56

dqnguyen56
    from san diego

4. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Welcome aboard I am working on a 56.

While OT for this board, a 2003+ Crown vic IFS, cheapest, nicest, easiest thing you can find for the front end!

5. Welcome.
    I just finished a 54' F100 for a customer. It was built to be a daily driver.
    I think you'll find as many different recomendations about suspension upgrades as there will be replys to your question. I all comes down to your budget and you skill level.
    Lincoln, Jag, G-body, Camaro. MII..... All have the fans and foes.

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from Indy.

7. greenone

greenone

Welcome,

I just spent the summer building a '55 myself. I had almost the same requirements as you. I spent a little more on the truck up front, but have about the same total invested..give or take a few thou:rolleyes: Anyways, I got a nice solid, rust free 10 year old paint truck that ran and drove. Wasn't up to my standards mechanically, but it is now and I drive it to and from work every day. I have a blast in it and looking back it was so worth it. At the time I was building it I was starting to think I was insane! My truck already had a mustang II, 9" rear, 302 and an AOD. I went through the motor because it was pretty tired, but all in all..I'm really happy with it. Good luck!