Register now to get rid of these ads!

early 80's 5.0

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by few loose bolts, Mar 14, 2012.

1. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

i've got an 82 ford 302 that i'm considering building. what kinds of issues did they have? did they change anything besides going from a 2bbl to efi in 86? just trying to get my bearing on what exactly i have and what i should look out for.

2. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I just dropped a 302 in a '64 Galaxie , had to change oil pan , ex. manifolds, just small stuff like that . I guess it depends on what ya put it in.
    B.B.
    mine is a good strong motor.

3. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

thinking of putting it in my 66 f100. it has an fe but with gas prices i really can't afford it as a daily driver. i'm thinking i shouldn't have any clearance issues since the 302 is so much smaller. i guess my main concerns lay in what issues that particular era of the 5.0 had

4. SLCK64

SLCK64

Restrictive heads.

5. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

Ford also made H.O. 5.O's with 4bbl they were rated 205 hp @4,800. I've had a few of them and they got up to 28 mpg in my 5spd '85 GT convt. If you keep the factory cam they had very good torque at low rpm. The '85 was the last year with a 4bbl. & the 1st year for the roller hyd. cam. The non H.O. engine made less power, probably around 175. Your truck may have to low rear end gears for best mileage. Pat

6. tcnotch

tcnotch
    from Toxic City

The mustang EFI motors had slightly better heads, roller cams,forged piston up to 92, and also had a different firing order compared to the non H.O. 302's.

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

If you are going to use your intake and carb it will be just as good as any other non H.O. 302. That year is a low compression low power model. If you rebuild it with more compession and work the exhaust ports some, it will still make good power.

8. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

thanks for the advice. would later model heads fit? or should i just have these heads ported?

9. tcnotch

tcnotch
    from Toxic City

The later model heads will fit, as far as porting your original heads I wouldn't waste the money. You would be better off buying a set of aftermarket iron heads