Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953-1956 Ford F100 Resto Advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dqnguyen56, Mar 14, 2012.

1. dqnguyen56

dqnguyen56
    from san diego

Hey All. I’m new to this site and I’m planning my first restoration. With this being my first time, I’m hoping to get some guidance and knowledge from some experienced people. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    The project is going to be a ’53-’56 Ford F100… hopefully I can find a ’55. My total budget would be about $20,000. I plan to spend $8k-10k for the truck itself, and the balance for any upgrades.
    I want to restore this truck to be my daily driver, so I want it to be reliable and also a smooth ride.
    What suspension do you guys recommend? I was thinking about the corvette IFS and IRS but I also was thinking about keeping it all Ford? I’m looking into dropping it a couple of inches but I would also like to be able to use the truck as a truck at times and be able to use the bed of the truck.
    Thanks again for any advice.

2. willymakeit

willymakeit

I have built a few of these trucks. Decide what you really want and what your skill level is before you start.
    Write it all down, theme, engine choice ect. and do your research.
    Check out the Ford Enthausists Site , as there is good info there also.
    Remember you are building it for yourself not everyone else.
    Good luck and have fun.

3. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

If you are looking to keep the truck functional then rebuild the stock suspension. They ride good when they are fresh.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah, the stock suspension: Go for the Posies springs, or sandblast and powdercoat every leaf, inserting the polypropelene pads between each leaf.

Important is to redrill the mainleaf centerbolts in front 1.25" to the front, trimming the second leaf accordingly...axle was pushed back that far from the factory, to assist in short turns...very visible, if you look.

The drag link has to be lengthened the same amount.

Look up Mid Fifties F-100 parts on the internet: they will send you a free catalog, which doubles as a 'how-to' as you order parts...many choices there, and the counter persons are extremely knowledgable: they are mostly females, and know the trucks inside out.

5. Brog

Brog

Heres what I've learned to look for when it comes to buying an f100.

-Make sure all crossmembers are in the frame, some people take these out in order to swap in more modern drivetrains, if a crossmember is taken out, your frame might be screwed!

-Know the year of the truck and what it looks like, if the vin claims one thing and it appears to be something else make sure to ask questions. Such as my 53 (according to the vin) had a 55 front end/grill

-Also take some measurements of a stock f100 if you can find one and compare those to the one in question. Such as in my situation where I found that someone tried to fabricate the bed from mail order parts I'm guessing and they did it wrong.

-There are numerous spots notorious for rusting, check these spots for holes or bondo

I'm still no expert but just trying to help

6. uc4me

uc4me

7. Biothree

Biothree

Years ago my Dad had a '53 F100 V8, 3 on the tree and overdrive. What a sweet ride it was. I helped a friend do a Camero front clip graft and GM rear end on his '55 F100. It turned out great but I am not sure it drives any better than Dad's "53.
    Nearly all the original trucks you find will have rust in the back corners. Patch panels are available and fairly easy.