Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opening a Time Capsule

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ANDY M, Mar 8, 2009.

1. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

great save ,cool hot rod.looks better than alot of the overly chopped up goofy looking stuff thats running around out there. brookville makes some good stuff,a little spendy ,he makes his own.has a traditional sb laying around,he uses it.good sound choices to building a hot rod useing what you have. just like back in the day

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will have to disagree with you about it being built with the best V8,the Olds motor that was in the garage with the 32 is the best V8 ever made. I had one in a 53 88 2 door sedan would beat up on what you call the best V8 ever built and it was stock.

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The HAMB at it's best.....................................and it's worst:(

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

this is why i lurked for about 5 or more years before joining. alot of drama for no good reason. i'm love seeing this kind of story unfold. very few cars built by someone else are going to please everyone, but why hate them so much. is'nt it still exciting to see these cars getting found and cared for again? why treat people that you actually have common ground with, like they're the enemy? how rude some people are. some of the things i read blurted out here somethimes is very odd. were all americans who have for the most part, the same interest! instead of saying "you need thick skin" to be on here, i say to some, get some manors. igeuss some paople who do this stuff everyday can get jaded and forget some people are at differnt levels of this fun hobbie.

5. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

umm - popcorn, i love it..

6. afaulk

afaulk

Enjoying the story. I imagine your friends (and hopefully you) could not care less what a narrow minded/my way only minority think. Real car guys like cars, pricks are just pricks no matter how many "posts" they have.

7. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Great story,great pictures,thank you...

8. ANDY M

ANDY M

Geez, that kind of sounds like a Geico commercial. I almost expected you to say don't have a grandson with a dog collar. Why not?:rolleyes:

The dash on this car is almost unique. The car was ordered with a cigar lighter. It's the big knob (hole) above the center of the dash.
    [​IMG]

BTW, did you know that Brookville does not make a dash with this option?

Nobody likes digital dashboards, even new cars have mostly analog. Fear not child, this dash will have vintage gauges.:)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was hoping to see it further along in the build.

10. greaser

greaser

Thanks for posting the updates Andy. I appreciate the updates and time you've spent, especially with all the negative posts. Some of the members here would like to keep this forum totally traditional, while some others accept some limited overlap to a later time period.
    I like all Hot Rods, (except rodents), and would encourage anyone building a Rod to build it for themselves as per their own tastes and budget. I usually follow posts that interest me, and ignore posts that do not hold my interest.
    Hope you continue with the updates....All is good!

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice build, but DAMN there's a lot of drama in this thread. jeez

12. ANDY M

ANDY M

My apologies if you were reading this and the photos went away. For the third time in 3 years, this thread has sucked all of the bandwidth out of my Photobucket account. so... For all of you Nimrods that have bitched at me because you had issues over how some one should build their car, I have once again paid the ransom to keep my pictures up here for all to see.
    Please enjoy responsibly.:D
    Andy

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

group hug...the kinder, gentler hamb...

14. Thanks for posting. It's still another '32 that's been saved.

15. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

BWWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHA

How the hell are we all supposed to sing CuumBaYa on the internet?

16. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sometimes miss the rough-and-tumble, step out of line and get your ass handed to you HAMB.. You know, the real world one ;)

17. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Great story, great pictures. Too bad people have to be the way they are. It's the reason we have Wars, arguments and divorces.

18. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

thanks for all the pics, and story, great job.

How about all the guys with perfect period correct builds start their own thread about how perfect their cars are...and the rest of us will wither in shame at your period perfectness...

or maybe when someone buys a car you can give them the APPROVED checklist so they can verify every step of the way is the way you want it...

My old car looks cool from the drivers seat...

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Thanks for documenting the build, and for sticking with the project upgrades regardless of the typical comments from some. I just finished reading all 18 pages, and I'm always surprised when I discover a thread this old that I haven't seen before.
    This '32 build is great, and I think the engine choice is very traditional. If a 283 with tri power isn't traditional, I don't know what is. Matt is truly a very accomplished fabricator, and I'd guess he may not have known about some suppliers because he's talented enough to build whatever he needs.
    I'm not into 32's like many people, and have never understood the whole "32 Ford thing", but I can appreciate any hotrod that takes this amount of labor and love to come to fruition. Nice to see there are still true barn finds, and not just the staged finds.
    Thanks again!

20. 8flat

8flat

Ohhhh......the weather looks sunny with a chance of billet.

Hey, we're on a traditional hot rod forum. I wouldn't go on a blacksmith forum to show them my new Plas cutter. haha

Don't worry, I put an alternator on my flathead (the horror), but I didn't tell anyone. 7yrs ago the HAMB was much more brutal...I was scared to ask questions at first...haha.

Cool story though, glad you posted.

21. I don't get why all of the negative posts either.Its going to be a nice car.If he sells it to you then you can change all you don't like. What strikes me the most also is how this car can be so badly rusted if it has been inside since 1951.I have seen cars sit outside that were in better condition. Did the garage roof have a big hole in it that poured water onto it?

22. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

there must have been something inside to hold the moisture in, and when it got wet,it stayed wet for a long time.

23. ANDY M

ANDY M

The roof caved in under the weight of heavy snow. When it melted, the car filled with water and rusted from the inside out. It was unfortunate that the damage went unnoticed for so long. Such is life.:(

24. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I'm glad to see the car being saved,an alot of talent doing so

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm seeing some really good work being done and a great job of documenting it.
    It's a car project, and you guys are enjoying it. I'm diggin it!

26. jms

jms
    from Chicago IL

It seems like this owner is drawing the sort of flak usually reserved for guys who take survivor hot rods and trash them. This was not a survivor. It was an incomplete stocker that was melting into the ground. The original frame was rusted into swiss cheese. It had no drivetrain. The motor in the shed, while cool, had never even been installed in the car. The complaints seem to be about choices about stuff that wasn't even there. I like what he's doing with the stuff that was there. I like seeing the solid sheet metal work. I like the fact that he's designing the car so as to not cut into the firewall. That's my way of saying that I appreciate what I've seen so far and hope the updates continue.

27. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

I am appaled at how many people mistook the headlight brackets for Mustang II stuff, when clearly, it's not even close. It also cracks me up how much street rod and Camaro bashing does on here when I know that SO MANY here have built, owned, and still own street rods, muscle cars, mini trucks, rat rods, VW's and whatever the fuck else you had when you were younger or that bandwagon came around. So many here follow the trends but will never admit it. Thanks Andy for a cool story.

28. Man what a story. Just found it & went thru most of the posts. Gotta give Andy a big thank you for sticking with it. As for those that don't like the way this car is being saved, don't open the page. Keep on posting Andy.
    I'm OK with however the guys build it, afterall it's their car & their money.
    Funny I graduated from high school in 1951. Spent 20 years of my youth in Hartford,Ohio.

29. rockbottom

rockbottom
    from PA

Awesome post Andy, and thank you for taking the time to share a great story even if some guys dont like the ending. I have to applaud Dave for putting the time and money into the car and bringing it back to life. Although my 34 chevy is fairly incomplete it looks to be more rust free which gives me hope and motivation to get her back on the road! Thanks again!

30. MilesM

MilesM

Wow, read this whole thing.

Before I STFU, a 4" stretch is not needed for a SBC. Not even a 2" stretch is needed unless you run a late long pump (who would do that on an early engine anyway?).

Mine fit with an uncut firewall like it was ment to. Hell, you can even use stock 32 V8 engine mounts on a SBC.

By the way, thanks for posting the pics!