Register now to get rid of these ads!

I feel like punching "Mr.Rustoleum" in the face!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick Willy, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I should probably learn how to multi-quote as well:eek:

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm amazed that you guys are finding that using the laziest, poorest method of shooting the cheapest, least appropriate finish possible for use on a collector car is giving disappointing results...

Brian

3. Beau

Beau

Correct. They have a lot of good stuff at those places.

Believe it or not, some graffiti artists get paid to do what they, and for good money.

They also make paint that smells like bubble gum.

4. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Sorry, my pockets arent deep enough to bore you...:rolleyes:

this was not the point of my post at all ( although I can see how you feel this way)...
    I had always had good luck with Rustoleums older tips, I got a new can with the new tip and I didnt have the best experience.

5. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

My buddies grounds maintenance company back there had it tough too....the one good thing that frozen precip is good for is making a bunch of cash pushing it around! Your roadster is still an insperation for my next build too btw. Well, once I get some doe saved up myself!:eek: Warm waether is on the way buddy!

6. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

Actually only the "rusty metal primer" contains fish oil.

7. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Wow, what an elegant summation of my philosophy.

Do you drive the piss out of a collector car? Not sure never collected any except for some hot wheels when I was 7.

8. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

The rusty metal primer is a lot thinner then it used to be. And, the nozzle clogged and spit at half full. The satin black is just as bad.

Does anyone else sell a good rusty metal primer?

9. JD Miller

JD Miller

You talkin about that white spray cap ? Ive used them in several colors of rustoleum a few times with no problem.

Actually sprayed several nice jobs on panels I used for pinstriping and sign painting background.

I make sure the cans are warm or put the can in the sink and run hot water on it so it sprays beter if the can was cold

And that Rustoleum Painters touch stuff is great for sign panels. Drys hard and masking tape or stapila pencil wipes off great and doesnt leave a mark or scratches at all,

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  10. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

I've always used Krylon.......nothing else.......

11. JD Miller

JD Miller

Ive used Krylon recently too

The stuff that is crap is Valspar from lowes

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes I do. And yes, I use rattle can paint for little stuff. In fact, the rear bumper on the '36 is rattle can gloss black (laquier) that's been lightly polished. Rattle can paint has its place, I don't get complaining on the interweb about how crappy it can look though.

And, we're ALL "collecters" here, unless a Hot Rod is your ONLY car. If you have more cars in your garage, driveway, or yard, than you really need to get to work and back, you're a "collector".

Brian

13. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Moral of this thread....Paint your car with crap and it will look like crap

14. 98TJ

98TJ
    from TN

I used Rustoluem Sunrise Red on a recent addition I made for my toolbox. Had the new tip and I actually liked how it sprayed. Nothing like breaking out the HVLP gun, but for what I was doing, it worked well. Good coverage, but you have to move faster with it than the older tips.

15. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Thats not the moral or the point of this thread.
    I drive my hotrod , show my hotrod and have had very good success doing both with parts painted with rattlebomb spraypaint. The point was to complain and start a discussion about the new tips on the Rustoleum brand cans, its gotten carried away from there to where its now a typical HAMB thread,
    Pointless with a bunch of blanket statements...

16. Dirt Dobber

Dirt Dobber

My favorite rattle can is tractor supply implement paint made by Valspar. You can buy it in rattle cans or by the pint if you need to use real spray equipment. Its tough, sprays easy, and looks good. Massey ferguson red is almost identical to performance red, but you are limited to tractor colors.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  17. Dirt Dobber

Dirt Dobber

18. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Me and a buddy are cleaning up and re-painting an old Vendo 63 Coke machine. He brought over a can of Safety Red Rustoleum. My first thought was that I would be real dissapointed with the "high output" nozzle since I had read nothing but bad stuff on Garage Journal and here about the new nozzle. This stuff sprayed like a dream! It sprays much more like a touch up gun than a rattle can. There was much less overspray and that really helped since the size of the panels I was spraying were fairly large and prone to "dry striping" from the clouds of dry overspray from a typical rattle can. I am still not a fan of Rustoleum paint though because of the extremely slow dry times and the recoat window. If you learn to work with the new nozzle and have plenty of time to literally watch paint drying, you might like the stuff.

19. cheveey57

cheveey57

It doesn't have to be from a paint can. Try any aerosol cans caps , there are only a couple of types.

20. You see this damn graffitti everywhere, but has anyone used any of the paint, possibly to do a set of wheels?? Is it glossy? What sort of surface prep would you need?? Lots of colors, is why I am asking.

21. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

I prefer Krylon...

22. patrod

patrod
    from idaho

New rustoleum tips suck, I like krylon!

23. freema22

freema22

Actually, no Rust-Oleum product contain fish oil anymore.

24. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I've been saving the few quarts of 769 "Damp proof red primer" with the 1975 copyright ( and it's 1971 zinc chromate brothers) because I thought it was the last of it's kind, too. This thread inspired me to bring the can in the house and compare the ingredients to the modern product. Lo and behold there is still a 769 product, and there is a 2003 document on line that makes the claim it is a "special fish-oil modified alkyd primer."
    http://www.rustoleum.com/tds/1018990 RO-11.pdf ( 2003 print date)

confusingly there is another 1018990 document (rev 111411, maybe 2011?) that just says the 769 product is based on a specially modified alkyd resin.
    http://www.rustoleumibg.com/images/tds/7400 System_RO-11_1018990.pdf

Both say "769 is intended for sound rusted steel only. Do not use 769 on clean or abrasive clean steel."

I'm guessing what really happened is the modern wimpy "heavy duty rust inhibitive primers" have replaced 769 on most shelves that I walk by these days.

The old can of 769 says the recipe contains 26.5% "menhaden alkyd resin".
    the new MSDS just says modified alkyd resin. Google finds references that menhaden oil is low cost polymerizing agent for alkyd enamel.

So sadly the legend of the magic of fish oil may have been a marketing ploy after all.

25. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Menhaden is a fish, right? So it was fish oil, at least at one time. But now, maybe it has been replaced by some different polymerizing agent.

26. adam401

adam401

It is a poor musician that blames his instrument.

(feel free to punch me next time you see me.)

Seriously though, I wonder if one of those spray can handles you can buy would help?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  27. 64T-bolt

64T-bolt
    from Kansas

Speak for yourself. . .I rattle-can alot of stuff from tractor parts to small automotive parts, to the entire flat-bed on my wood truck and found this thread to be worthwhile as i go through quite a bit of spray bombs. .

28. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Ya, sit a harmonica player at a piano and see how it sounds!:D

29. adam401

adam401

True, very true. The wisdom on this site is endless:D

30. Gary in da UP

Gary in da UP

Well, you might as well get used to the ever changing world of paint. When acrylic lacquer, lucite , replaced duco lacquer , and later when centari was to replace dulux, then catylized products , there were some very unhappy painters ! It has only become more complex and expensive with more product under the bench . Paints are better now, there is a lot of competition in paint products. Right now after painting since 1973 , do I give it up or change systems again? I used a lot of Sherwin-Williams products over the past 13 years, no jobber anymore , went belly up , sold out to NAPA, and on it goes, . Good advice to warm your aerosols in hot water. Yo'll also get every last bit from the can. Gary