Register now to get rid of these ads!

Installing a wire harness on my 54, starter issues. Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DOC54, Mar 11, 2012.

1. The car is a 54 Chevy that was hacked to 12volt buy prev owner. So I ripped it all out and am starting fresh, stock 235 3 speed car converted to 12 volt.
    The issue I am having is when I went to test the ignition, put the key in and turned it starter cranked a few times engine fired up. I let go off the key it returned to the run (acc) position but the starter kept going. I have checked everything I can think of, I get ACC power when the key is turned counter clockwise and no starter. Turn it clockwise and it jumps straight to the starter.

Any help would be great, I am using a Ron Fran Bare bones kit. I know I should have went with Rebel but I got a retarded deal on the RF one.

2. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Is your ignition switch one of those cheap auto part store switches. I personaly have used them with sucsess and also have had a few come out bad. I have also had a few people return them to my store for that same reason lately. Bad batch maybe?...

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Did you pinch the start wire for solinoid under the battery cable at solinoid. I've seen it happen. Did you but in a resistor bypass? You have to watch how you do that. Done wrong you can get voltage feed back to places you don't want it to go too.

4. I am on my second ignition switch so I hope it's not that. I did put a resistor in, I read on another thread that I can just use a switched power source for it so it will bypass to 12volts while cranking then be regulated once it's not cranking. I tried it without the resistor and just more of the same.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

True, but you have to have the correct switch to do this. A 54 ign. switch won't do this. Does your starter have 2 small terminals? If so. The S terminal is start wire and the R terminal is for resitor bypass.

6. It's a three terminal starter. As you look at it the left terminal goes to the coil. Middle is Batt and the right terminal is the ignition switch. I could be way off on this, just following the rad instructions from the wiring kit.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Then that is a correct, time to move on here. Do you have an alt with internal regulator 3 wire type?

8. One wire alt.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ok not that. As others have said, bad switch? Disconnect start wire at the starter and get it out of the way. Turn the ign. switch to run position. Now put a test light on the start wire. There should be no power. If there is, disconnect start wire at the ign. switch and check the start terminal to see if it Hot. If Hot, bad switch again. If not, find whats feeding that start wire.

10. I feel like a clown. Went through 2 brand new ignition switch's, started to test each wire like you just said and figured why not I'll just give my org ignition one more go and it works. Thanks for all the help even I was messed up on my end. Maybe I just need some sleep

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That a wrap people :D. Glad you got it Doc.