Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 Ford Sedan power steering & power disc brakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low64, Jun 30, 2005.

1. low64

low64
    from Canton, GA

I have a friend that just got a 48 sedan. He wants to keep the stock front end. He wants to add power steering & power discs for the front. I wanted to know if anyone had used any "kits" & if so if you were happy with it? Thanks for any info you can give me.

2. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

There are some good bolt on disk brakes in the 300-400 range. Fuck the power steering, you don't need it.

3. sawzall

sawzall

I agree that these cars PROHABLY dont need power steering..

However in this case i feel something needs to be pointed out...

OFTEN I am asked to "help" or DO a project like this for someone..

recently a guy contacted me about a similar "update" on his chrysler..

keep in mind that if your buddy.. makes updates to the front brakes

this change also dictate that he changing the master cylinder as well..

when this occurs a "mismatch" in master cylinder to rear drum (wheel cylinder) dia will most likely occur.. and as such may dicate a change in rear brakes..

so the short response would have been... brakes are a all or nothing proposition.. PLEASE dont JUST update the front brakes.. do them all...

anyhow.. on the subject of power steering..

i believe that chassis engineering DOES make a kit to put a POwer saganaw (i think) steering box in place of the stock steering box in a 46 - 48 car frame.. HOWEVER the box is VERY VERY VERY much larger than the stock box resulting in "exhaust system issues"

I havent used, nor have I installed this setup for anyone I have Only seen it.. at a show, in a display chassis, WITHOUT a driver side manifold in place.. I dont recommend it..

and with the stock wheel he shouldnt need the power..

sawzall jeff

4. Chewie

Chewie

"when this occurs a "mismatch" in master cylinder to rear drum (wheel cylinder) dia will most likely occur.. and as such may dicate a change in rear brakes..

so the short response would have been... brakes are a all or nothing proposition.. PLEASE dont JUST update the front brakes.. do them all..." Sawzall

Not trying to hijack here. I'm switching my 48 fronts over to the discs and switching to a dual master. What do you suggest for the rear? The plan is to keep the banjo.