Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing Paint from a VIN Tag

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rebracer, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Rebracer

Rebracer

Hey Guys, any suggestions for removing paint from a VIN tag. This would be the one on the inside door jamb on my 55, it was painted over when I got the car, and recenly I was able to scrape most of it off, but there is a clump of paint at the center that I cant get. Ive tried several chemicals, but I want to avoid scratching the tag any further. Any advice ould be appreciated. - Thanks

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

heat it with a heat gun and try prying the clump away after it becomes soft

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Tape it off and put some paint stripper on it!

4. Rebracer

Rebracer

Someone had told me to heat it with a lighter, do you think thats a bad idea, I know the heat gun would be better.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you can tip it to use a lighter then should bead blast it. if you do not have a heat gun then try a hair blow driver. use a small wire brush, size of tooth brush.

6. squirrel

squirrel

paint stripper will probably work, but it's nasty stuff and will eat anything it contacts, so you'd want to be really careful. I've done ok with lacquer thinner on a rag, and lots of patience

7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

EZ OFF oven cleaner and 0000 steel wool ha worked for me.

8. 327Eric

327Eric

carb cleaner and a q tip and a toothpick. it is a bit of work, but wont scratch when you pick at it

9. Rebracer

Rebracer

Thank You, everyone, I will try these suggestions.

10. As the 20K man (aka: Squirrel) said, lacquer thinner on a rag will do the trick.

11. most paint stores sell some stuff called "Goof-off" .. comes in a can about the size of lighter fluid ... works great, but like anything, test first.

12. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Goof off is basically a combo of VM&P Naptha and Mineral Spirits. It is really, really mild solvent that typically won't touch paint or plastic, but works good on sticker glue, etc.

I would use something stronger, but not paint stripper. Go to your local paint supply store and pick up a quart of Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK), if you can find it. This is really strong solvent that WILL remove paint so be careful you only get it where you want to. The good news is that it won't affect your VIN at all except for helping to get that paint off. Follow the MSDS for safety instructions.

13. squirrel

squirrel

The VIN tag is stainless steel, there isn't much in the way of chemicals that will mess it up.

14. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

I would caution against bead blasting it as the abrasive will streatch the V I N tag.....dont ask me how i know

Rod

15. The tag on my 53' was made of aluminum and when i tried to remove the overspray
    w/paint thinner it also took the paint off from the original plate......so just to let you know. The numbers were stamped in , so I bought a replacement tag , stamped the
    numbers on it and replaced the old one on my door jamb.
    good luck

16. The cowl tag on my '56 was covered with paint. I've read and it is my experience that paint doesn't stick well to stainless. I was able to get an area started with my fingernail, and just continue to pick at it. Maybe use wood or plastic toothpicks to get it started and just keep pulling up paint at the edge.