Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coolest Y-block intake ever!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hubcap, Mar 11, 2012.

1. hubcap

hubcap
    from phx

At least I think so. Carbs appear to be the same as used on Corvette sixes.

Attached Files:

2. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

nice! Boat intake? Any brand name cast in it?

3. likes ihs

likes ihs
    from petaluma

that is a interceptor marine intake & carbs. are you going to use it ?

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think those carbs are Carter YF's and are essentially the same as used on Vette 6 cylinder ........

There must have been a lot of Y block fords in marine use. I had one of these setups 40 years ago and see them here on the HAMB periodically. Always thought they were neat looking setups

Ray

5. hubcap

hubcap
    from phx

Marine?: yes. No name cast in. Not mine, it belongs to my friend Tom. He ask me to beadblast it for him. I'm not sure what he intends to do with it. He wanted the 312 it was attached to but so far the guy won't part with it.

6. I have a couple of those. Be aware that there is a special valley cover and water pipes.

7. loogy

loogy

I think that they made them for other application too. I seem to remember seeing one for a Studebaker a long time ago. They are very cool!

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Same as the 6 cyl "vette" carbs,...A friend has one on his boat, 312 YBlock.. Very cool setup !!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

9. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

thats a marine intake ! used on y blocks in boat aplications

10. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Dearborn Interceptors is what they were called. Im sure it looks a lot better then it works, Basically you end up with a big 2 barrel, Id guess its 50s stuff

11. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

My Dad has that setup on his '57 Century Resorter. Yes, they are Carter YF side drafts. Yep, there is a special valley pan that allows the carbs to breathe through the pan. It's complicated so I don't blame anyone if you can't visualize it. Dad's engine is a 292 Interceptor. I doubt they would be a good performance item since they are only two one barrels but in the boat it ran fine except for cold starts. Sometimes the fuel would puddle in the carbs. Hard to start when cold too.

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Mostly, intakes like that were made for low profile purposes as opposed to high performance. When you close the engine hatch on a boat it gets tight and a regular intake setup may not work due to height. But they are cool looking, that's for sure.

Don

13. daliant

daliant

Graymarine had a similar carb/intake setup on their marinized studebaker engines.

14. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Here is one installed.
    [​IMG]

15. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

16. hubcap

hubcap
    from phx

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Cool on a boat but I think thats about it. Not for a car IMO.

18. snaptwo

snaptwo

OT ,but those marine yards can be a treasure trove when you are looking for hard to find engines and parts. We once installed a 292 in a boat for a guy, it was a reverse rotation engine and took a special cam.

19. sawzall

sawzall

i have one of these for sale..

20. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

How about a truck?

Attached Files:

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looks good with the hood on but without a hood it would look like something was missing.

What size Y block is it on and how does it run ?

22. Yes they look cool and they are good on a boat (what they were made for) also there are a lot of them around. I see them on ePay all the time with a price tag that would make you think they are made of gold. I had a few of them, sold 'em fairly cheep. I would give it away before using one. Better performance can be had from the old cast two barrle manifold with a 2300 Holley. Three 97s look better.

23. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are a few more to look at too. All are for the Y block engines.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

24. sakelley22

sakelley22
    from Easley SC

DAMN! that is one bad ass truck

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I, too, like your truck.......I especially like the 'clean' look on top of the engine. Doesn't need to be cluttered up with standard issue carbs to look good!

Are rebuild kits readily available for those Carter YF's? Does anybody have firsthand experience with them in their original application on 6 cyl Corvettes?

Thinking a set of them might look good, IF they work well, on a homebuilt manifold on either a GMC 270/302 or a straight Eight Buick......

Ray

26. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Later marine conversions are a good source of 4-bolt blocks.....I found a Waukashau Marine 302 Ford, 4 Bolt, ala; "Boss" 302.

4TTRUK

27. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I was just thinking about that truck when I saw this intake. There was a feature in Street Rodder magazine awhile back featuring the black truck with this type of intake. I think you can ake it work for street use, but if you ever break down in the middle of no where for a carb related issue you're shit out of luck.

28. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I saw one in Texas for a small block Chevy.

Like others have said--probably look better than they actually work.
    And really, I'm not sure they look all that better... "looks different" does not equal "looks better."
    I bet they'd work better converted to EFI, with throttle bodies and a dry plenum.

-Brad