Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Little Deuce Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 9, 2012.

1. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

This is the car that ruined my life when I was 6 years old. I can remember looking at that album cover for hours at a time. Now look at me. Thanks alot awesome car.

2. Deuces

Deuces

I need to go back there again... ;)

3. Deuces

Deuces

Anyone have new pictures of the "Coupe"????......
    Please post them.. Thanks!... :)

4. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Love it or hate it. It's awesome that the car is preserved for everyone to appreciate. You can tell how passionate Curt is about the car. Just a terrific story all around. One of my favorite songs too.

5. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

SOME PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THE GRILL SHELL, but that was the style back then( Custom changes). I remember when I was 50 years younger, nobody was in to stock looking cars like today. Also The Ferrari strakes was not a styling thing. The Ferrari Testarossa had a mid engine with radiators in the rear on each side. The had wide openings, but it would not pass safety requirements because a pedestrian could get caught in them. So they put the strakes on to keep people from getting caught or snagged in the openings.

Ago

6. swimeasy

swimeasy

Love the car and the story and have been playing my own version of that song for years!

7. Weez......your work is amazing!

8. MrFalcon62 - The topic of the swastika has been discussed on the HAMB many times before (including 7 pages worth in Royalshifter's Lil' Deuce Coupe thread) ... but in a nutshell, JeffreyJames & TERPU are correct ... it was a "Surf Nazi" thing.

9. Rebracer

Rebracer

I was just about to post the exact same thing! I had never seen that before!

10. Deuces

Deuces

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

12. Awesome..always loved that car. Thanks to HotRod1940 for the back up story as well....wow.

13. When I was a kid driving that coupe, it was unchopped and I could fit in it. When we had the coupe at the Old Farts Car Club tent at the Turkey Rod run, I really had to fold up like a pretzel to get in the car. The chopped top really tightened it up. Me adding 50 pounds may have had something to do with it.
    I hated the blackwalls in that time period.

Attached Files:

14. Road Gent

Road Gent

Nice rod. Good thing we all have different tastes otherwise we would all be driving the same vehicle. I always take away something from someone elses creation.

15. slepe67

slepe67

Hotrod40- you are the man! You drove the legendary Beach Boys Little Deuce Coupe in HIGH SCHOOL!!! That in itself is awesome!!!

I drove a Datsun pickup. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

16. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

hotrod1940...

Many, many thanks for the info !

Years ago when Mike & Larry Alexander were at Starbird's Museum/Hall of Fame for Induction Ceremonies, Larry who was, like Mike, a real gentleman, told me he was a little upset through the years because George ended up getting most of the credit for the coupe.

He felt that the work he & Mike did in Detroit was diminished by what Barris had done to the car and that many had forgotten the role they had played in giving the coupe "the look" that they had.

Both Larry & Mike were always the best...and two of the nicest that you'd ever meet.

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

17. Talked to Mike Alexander at the Autorama this year. I really enjoyed seeing the clone to the 69er at the show. It was a great car and a friendly competitor to the Lil deuce coupe back in the day.
    Many people worked on that car over the years and I really think that the A bros did set the style before the car went to CA. Barris basically chopped the top and repainted the car. I think that Bill Hines did the actual chop while working for Barris (not sure). Bill Hines was from Detroit and Chili was at Hines shop when Hines painted the Jimmy Jones skirts on my 56 Chevy.
    In the background of the picture below is the 69er.

Attached Files:

18. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...Shamelessly stolen from the HAMB.

19. flamingokid

flamingokid

Another mystery solved....

20. sunray

sunray

Must have been great being a part of hot rod history! Can you tell me what headlights were used in the car with the custom nose piece?

21. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

That's a Sandscrit swastika, which literally means "It is good". Hitler took the symbol and rotated it 45 degrees...and literally bastardized the true meaning of this Hindu and Buddhism symbol for all eternity.