Register now to get rid of these ads!

t5 in a 53 f100 with an 8ba

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chappys4life, Nov 28, 2011.

1. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

After getting my truck back on the road and remembering the 60mph tops I am trying to figure out all of the components I will need to do a t5 swap in my 53 f100. Right now I have the 8ba 239 flathead, 3 speed light duty trans, and dana 44 rear.

From what I have read you need an adapter, pilot bearing adaptor, release bearing, input shaft spacer, and clutch/pressure plate setup.

Does this look like all I need? I am trying to make the swap as easy as possible and as bolt in friendly as can be.

Offenhauser Chevy T-5 Adapter Kit from speedway
    s10 t5 1985-1987 preferred for gearing
    10" Clutch Disc 1" - 14 Spline S-10
    Flathead 10" Long Style Pressure plate
    Driveshaft modified

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Offy Chevy adapter from Speedway - may as well get the Speedway adapter - it's cheaper.

S10 T5 '85-88 preferred for mechanical speedo, not gearing. Later is better here for gearing...generally.

Clutch disk - Astrovan seems to be commonly used, but I prefer to have one made at a shop.

Pressure plate to fit your flywheel.

You'll also need the transmission yoke for the T5 so you can have your driveshaft modified to accept a U-joint that fits in addition to modifying for length

3. EffieTrucker

EffieTrucker

Have you done this mod? If so, how did you handle the clutch linkage bracket that was bolted to the 3-speed housing?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

4. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

I have not I got scarred when I heard the 53 truck bell housing and the speedway adapter causes the snout to be too short to properly engage.