Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's time for a new engine ! Oh well !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Feb 6, 2012.

1. goodgarb

goodgarb
    from TACOMA,WA

Rob
    So what's the update, Is it done yet LOL

2. Engine is done, and is being installed as of Thursday and Friday.... will be home soon.

3. getting close , couple of spy shots ! LOL ! :D

Attached Files:

• 283.jpg
      283.jpg
      File size:
      493.7 KB
      Views:
    • 284.jpg
      284.jpg
      File size:
      381.1 KB
      Views:
    • 285.jpg
      285.jpg
      File size:
      371.8 KB
      Views:
  4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome!!!! is that a 265 or did you just put 265 exhaust on it??? What are those VC's?

5. It's a 283 , we reused the exhaust manifolds from my 265 ( Fenton cast iron headers to come in the future) The valve covers are old Cal-Custom straight across bolt pattern. Many thanks to my buddy he found those in the aluminum scrap at work. :eek:

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well it looks great!!! I actually like those exhaust better then the fentons but those are cool too. Suggestion would be to polish those valve covers or get different air cleaner. Perhaps a oil bath with a replaceable filter inside so that you don't have natural cast next to that super shiny air cleaner.

Or just polish the VC's haha!!!

7. Many thanks Jeffrey ! The plans are to polish the VC's when I get a chance. Really just wanted to get back on the road... Installing a heater also while it's down for repairs...

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Best plan ever. Just get that damn thing back on the road and enjoy it. Then when you know you're not going to use it for a week send them VC's out and have them polished while you're away or something. It's going to be awesome!!!

9. yep, will that was my plan... need to find a good polisher here in town... Had some wheels polished in Auburn years ago but they were really slow.. Don't know of anyone here these days( anyone else have a suggestion , thanks)

10. blackdog

blackdog
    from Golden BC

Man, great cam info on the 283's. thanks guys.

11. I stopped by to check on my rig, heater install is being done, hood and radiator and grille shell pack in... Coming along nice... can't wait to go for a spin

12. Super close, should be test driving today!

13. Lookin good!!

14. Thank you Chris, are you coming over for the All Most spring Swap Meet in Puyallup this weekend ? How's the roadster coming along ? :D

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Are you kidding me?! Now you're really making me feel bad for not being out there right now working on getting that car driving tomorrow. Booo!!!

Just kidding, good luck and show us video!!!

16. Nope, One puyallup meet is good enough for me...saving up money for Portland.

17. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Eric Hayes...Fine Metal Polishing....he's in Edgewood.....
    253-324-7705

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with Frank. I ran a 30/30 in my 38 in the 283 that had been in my roadster before I put it in the 48. Pretty close to the same weight as the 36 and while it would cruise at 80 on the highway all day long it didn't like to cruise at lower speeds very well and having to adjust the valves on a regular basis when I could have been doing other things was a royal pain.

If you love the constant rattle rattle rattle of solid lifters go for it but there are too many cams out there that would be a whole lot better in that engine/car combo that still sound great.

19. Well , I really want to say thank you to Marshall W. & Russ at Thun Field Rod & Custom for taking on my 35 Ford 5W Coupe and getting it running again.... I stopped by today after the All Most Spring Swap to say Hi, and got to hear her run happy can't begin to express my joy, and I was over the moon when Marshall(thank you) opened the garage door and said go for a "DRIVE " !!! :D... Thanks to Scott W.A.R. for doing super job on building the 283.. I had the biggest grin on my face when coming back, and still am grinning ! Yeah !!!! Many thank you's to Marshall W. at Thun Field Rod & Custom..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  20. tedster

tedster

I figured you would rave about that cam after listening to it and driving the car. I think it is great you did not listen to all the naysayers and went with the 30/30. Sure you could have used a more modern cam and you may get tired of adjusting valves but when I was in high school in the 60's a lot of guys ran that. Plus you did it the way it was done back then, and the way you wanted, traditional, hell yes. I hope it works out great for you. Have fun man. Ted

21. Again I want to thank Marshall and Russ with Thun Field Rod & Custom for all the hard work to put the 35 back on the road for me. Thank you again to Scott at W.A.R on building one nice little 283.... Again thank you for all the hard work on the 35.... also thank you to Nate A. for making one sweet access plate for the floor on the 35, and opening the floor up so the panel fit and looked right , looks great buddy

22. thanks Ted, I really wanted to stay with that cam and solid lifters. It had that valve train choice in it before... It was really fun to drive.. :D

23. Driving her home today kidds !!!! Yeah !!!

24. it's home and I'm still smiling

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Funny mine's home but I just go out into the garage and kick it to smile.

Congrats man, that's gotta be nice!

26. what you not working on it right this very minute ???? :D

thanks Jeffrey... kidding aside how's the ride coming along ?

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You gotta be a happy guy.

28. Oh the sweet music !!! Going to get Ole Saphire washed up.... I haven't had a chance to really clean it up since getting it... and it was in the shop for over a month..

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  29. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

That's gotta be a great feeling for you, congrats on gettin back on the road....!

30. Yep Saturday clean her up, and go for spin... need to get it broken in... If I can get some video shot from my phone I'll post it..