Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Torpedo Attack

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Woodlouse, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

Man, you do amazing work!

2. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

WOW!! This is entertainment!

3. Nice work, I like it. Rags

4. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

5. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Same here Mr deevy, you must have some more pictures. cheers vin

6. absolutely love what you're doing! it will come out great!

subscribed.

7. CLM

CLM

Looking great, sure makes me want to get started on my '47 Torpedo. But I either have to finish or sell the '37 to get it out of the garage.

I was planning to french the lights and mold the peak of the front fenders in with sheet metal instead of running the trim. Never thought of going back to more of the Chevy look.

[​IMG]

8. Woodlouse

Woodlouse
    from London UK

Thanks for all the comments it's appreciated.
    Sorry no updates for a while, I have got to spend some time on my A coupe.
    I hate not having something roadworthy, but it won't be on the back burner long.
    Cheers Tony.

9. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

I like the Torpedo thread your forming work with wood bucks and clamps
    your thread just might inspire me to get going on the 50 Olds 88

10. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

same here ! your wood and clamps 's got me ! so fuckin ingenious, so fuckin inspiring ! :eek:

to me the car need a little hair cut : not a lot , just subtle, but it's way too high now ;) love the mods , subscribed :D

11. CarGar

CarGar

Cool build, my Limey friend. I'm always struck by the word "fettle" because even if you've never seen it before, or know its definition, it conjures in the mind precisely what it means. Us colonists would probably use "fiddled" but somehow it's not the same.

Anyway, I notice that the Poncho doesn't have a center divider in the windshield, unlike my Chevy. Are you planning to do a v-butted windshield? I did one on an ot VW van, and recommend them highly. I'm pretty sure they're traditional enough for this tough crowd.

On another topic, would you mind expanding on your hammer form/wood clamping forming experience with respect to where mdf can be used and where hardwood is needed? Specifically, I'm curious whether your square tube bender could be done with mdf vs the hardwood that you apparently used.

And it looks like I'm gonna have to get a much bigger vise!

Again, well done!

Cheers -- Gary

I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when you looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated. -- Paul Anderson

12. Woodlouse

Woodlouse
    from London UK

Your limey friend clocking in.
    I notice from the replies a lot people seem interested in the wood hammer forms the reason I use them so much other then they do a good job, is I am a joiner by trade and the Pontiac is kept in a bit of extra space I rent next door to my workshop.Very convinient when I need a bit of wood.
    If you have never used one give it a try, they are simple to make and give a very professional finish.
    I tend to make them from a good quality MDF 1 inch works fine, and you can reuse them three or four times before they start to break up.
    If it's just a one off, a piece of softwood will do the job.
    Cut your wood pattern slightly under size to allow for the thickness of metal, draw around them using a 1/2 inch offcut as a spacer onto your sheet metal 20g works great, cut your metal to shape then sandwich it between your two wooden patterns with the extra 1/2 inch protruding evenly around the edge.
    Now clamp it securly using every clamping device you might own, G clamps vicegrips, the bench vice - you cannot use to many.
    Once secure gently start to tap the lip around the former a little at a time, evenly and slowly work your way round, if any clamps get in the way these can be temporarly removed, keep on tapping the metal lip round until it forms a ninety degree return.
    There you go that's all there is to it, all you have to do now is gently prise it off the former remembering if it's needed again to be carefull not to damage the edges of the timber.
    If your piece has any tight corners or curves these can be relieved with a few slits before being clamped and if nessasary welded up after shaping.
    That's how I do it but bear in mind this is a carpenter teaching metalwork, so somebody else may know better.
    Bending the box section with a couple of wooden blocks in the vice, got me out of trouble that day but for anything other then a one off a little heat would proberly be better, but part of being a hot rodder is getting the job done with what you have.

13. Woodlouse

Woodlouse
    from London UK

Not done much lately due to being knee deep in Model A parts, but had time for a couple of pictures just for Vince (Vin likes diesel m.o.)
    Vince kindly donated the grill for the project, it's got potential I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I like the grillle, has an early look to it. What's it from?

Curious to see how you fit it. That bumper looks a little narrow. or is it just the picture?

I love this build.

15. What is the grill from?
    I like the high mount, but it does leave a lot of space underneath.

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I likes that grill!

17. It´s an early Morris Oxford grille - very nice it looks too.

18. ausbuick

ausbuick

lookin cool man, wats the go with the section below the grill?
    cheers darren

19. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

I kind of like the low mount. I that case the hood should be extended all the way down to it.

20. Reijer

Reijer

Woodlouse, what a great project. Very interesting to see the car grow in the photos.

21. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

This is simply awesome. Add me to the list ofthe wooden bucks fans. im sure it'll come in handy sometime soon.
    The grille is lovley, has a bit of a late 40s early 50 caddy grille vibe, which fits perfect in there. These late 40s GM fastbacks are such stylish cars that usually need very little to make better. In this case a lot is just right.
    BTW, i agree w/ Zed, a couple inches off the top wouldnt be a bad idea.

22. Woodlouse

Woodlouse
    from London UK

Wow, grilles are popular today.
    James D got it, early 50's Morris Oxford.
    I kind of like the high mount, you wouldn't believe how well it fits at the top. Thinking of a couple of horizontal blades (Austin Mini bumpers maybe) at the bottom continuing on to the fenders with the sidelights built in similar to the original but not so fussy with a British flavour.
    Yeah that bumper is a bit narrow '48 Ford I think, I have a third one to stretch it but the jury is still out on that.
    Cheers Tony.

23. swissmike

swissmike

Very nice grille! I think the lower grill looks better - maybe not quite as low as in the picture, but maybe 1-2" up.
    Very inspirational work!

24. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Cheers woodlouse, High up looks good, the idea of extra's below it to would work well.
    You are welcome to the grille as it looks so much better on you car than on my wall.
    cheers vin

25. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

Thumbs Up...

26. hellerods

hellerods

Woodlouse--- Thanks for sharing with all your text and pictures. You make your work seem simple and easy (of course it isn't) which is sign of a great craftsman!! I doubt I'll ever be able to do any metal work other than something very simple, but I'm learning just by watching your build-thanks again Lee

27. thecrazed(k)666

thecrazed(k)666

any updates on the car ???

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

^^^ What he said.

29. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Come on Tony, I keep checking back.

30. Woodlouse

Woodlouse
    from London UK

I didn't know anybody cared. HaHa.
    Sorry guys, it's pushed to the back of the lock up at the moment.
    I was steaming ahead till the four banger in my A coupe blew up, now all my time and money is being redirected towards fitting a flatty V8.
    Should be back on it by the winter.
    Cheers Tony.