Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

2. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

3. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

4. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Bob Plumer photo.RIP

[​IMG]

5. WCD

WCD

This was the former Pisano Bros Camaro, now running inj gas circuit. Low 9's made the car very competetive in 1969.

6. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

7. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

8. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Is this the same car that Chet Gibbs had a few years ago?

10. yes it is. cheat sold it a few years ago.

11. Race Artist

Race Artist

This was a NASCAR Ultra Stock race car. They ran classes and eliminators that allowed for different wheelbase changes. Not an NHRA car. AHRA later ran the U/S cars but this was from NASCAR time. Richmond, VA dragstrip. Bob Plumer photo.
    Joel

[​IMG]

12. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

Bucksnort, great to see a seldom seen or mentioned car. Steve Montrelli, Williams and driven by Tom Barrett. Later owned by Pete Everett and driven by Doc Leroy Hale. Marve Eldridge gave discounts on bodies if you put Fiberglaas Trends on your. We did and for awhile, people thought it was the FT corvair. We should have made it smaller. Thanks

13. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

And that's exactly the way we used to race.
    Technically, not exactly by the book, but definitely well within the spirit of the game. It's also how door slammer racing evolved from stockers to run what ya brung funny cars.
    Now that's the spirit :) Tom S. in Tn.

14. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

OK, this one has Super/A that looks to be permanently painted on the rear roof pillar.
    Never mind the Hilborn and the missing hood, or that the rear axle has been moved forward a foot and a half, and the motor is rubbing the firewall so far the driver probably has to reach behind the seat to shift gears; but the car in the other lane doesn't even have windows!

This doesn't look like a renegade strip somewhere, but I'm wondering if this might be a Run What Ya Brung class where the track simply lumped all the stocker/altereds together for some ca$h in an effort to avoid gunfights teching cars at the gate.
    Sure reminds me of old times at places like Buffalo Valley or Sand Mtn. Ga. somewhere. Perhaps not technically by the book, but definitely within the spirit of game. Tom S. in Tn.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  15. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

Upon further examination, I believe the New Breed is racing the first Blue Hell corvette. We are in the pit (left lane) and Iam holding my ears. The wheelie looked good but as I remember, it cost him the race. The first vette had alot of handling problems often traveling 3/4 mile in 1320 feet. What fun we all had back in the "good old days " of true drag racing. Mike

16. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

Thanks Bucksnort, popular picture by Lawrence Maxwell of L&M photos circa April 68. We started a multi state tour soon after this and in 1969 won the Mr. Chrevrolet title at Beeline against some real heavy hitters. I think we ran 6.99 and 201. Not shabby for a heavy chevy. Of course Ron's vega ran faster but, the corvair and the vettes were my favorites. P.S, look at how big Fiberglass Trends is on the front. People thought it was one of Marv Eldridges cars. In later photos you won't see it. I rubbed it off so you could see my name better. Lol

17. WCD

WCD

Mike

Dick Fletcher built your chassis', any history on what happaned to him? I know he built a couple of chassis for Whipple and Mchullah (spl). He built Dee Keatons car too.

18. WCD

WCD

This doesn't look like a renegade strip somewhere, but I'm wondering if this might be a Run What Ya Brung class where the track simply lumped all the stocker/altereds together for some ca$h in an effort to avoid gunfights teching cars at the gate.
    Sure reminds me of old times at places like Buffalo Valley or Sand Mtn. Ga. somewhere. Perhaps not technically by the book, but definitely within the spirit of game. Tom S. in Tn.[/QUOTE]

Tom I think that was during the burgeoning funny cars years where the spectators and promoters were clamoring for any full bodied car that featured these radical departure from the rules. A lot of guys could go from racing trophies only to making some $ in match races by just butchering up thier car, adda set of Hillborns and 25%-bammo a funny car. This was even prevelent here in So-Cal where a lot of guys were showing up in death traps. Gutted out Chevelles and Belvederes, crudely modified and hacked, but still in demand. A lot of leakers. In fact my dad and I found the eary years of FC lacking as it was not uncommon to have out of 10 cars, 2 that were hard runners, 1 or 2 that were consistent but a good second off the mark. And the reast couldnt make a full pass if their life depended on it. The Runyon's, Charlie Wilson, Charlie Allen and Bill Reick were the strong main liners who were fast all the time. It wasnt really until 1968 that the fields here were filled with good strong, quality built cars.

19. Though perhaps a bit O/T,I know many of us were fans of the early "2nd gen" Funnies. To me,these are the cars immediately following the F/X cars of '64-66. Late '66 to 69,we'll say. Very stock looking cars,and so many that were a stock body from the firewall back,with some engine setback,but an extended fiberglass front clip. Way-too-cool-looking to my 10-11-12 year old eyes. Another in that vein(that I'm sure has been pictured here somewhere) was the Chapman Bros. car out of the Chicago area. Gorgeous car and one of my favorites from that era.

Keep those pics coming-and that reminds me to dig some up and contribute. Can't let all you other cats have all the fun!

20. Still_Crazy

Still_Crazy
    from . .

21. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

WCD, Dick Fletcher along with Mike Kase who both built many west coast cars both died years ago. Fletcher was close friends with Dee Keaton and was a straight shooter. He built Holy Toledo, Dee's cars and I think he had alot to do with Chrisman's When Mike Kase moved from Arizona in 67, we shared a garage in Gardena. When we went on tour in 68, he moved to Simspon Alley in Torrance where he built the Invader, Hell Fire, Speed Racer, DuraBug and many more and made several alterations on the corvair.. Mike moved to Oil City Pa in the late 80's and died around 1998. I last spoke to him in 1991. Simspon's Alley was really neat and had a long driveway that you could make short burnouts that Bill frowned upon. Fun with a capital F.

22. Mike,here is are a couple photos from different angles. DD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Not Ekstrands Lawman.It was Bill Flynn's Yankee Peddler

24. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

Dennis, great picture. I don't remember it being in Car Craft. Was this one of Lawrence Maxwell's? Now that I have seen the photo I realized it was in 1967 with when we installed the 427. look at everybody with their fingers in their ears. Seems like we would have invested 2 dollars for ear plugs. Now with tinnitus, I wish I had. Thanks Mike

25. storm king

storm king

I noticed that after I had posted, Funnycar65. My bad. However, Bennie also had the Lawman car in about that same timeframe. It was a Hardtop.

26. rick finch

rick finch

27. Race Artist

Race Artist

This was taken at Green Valley, TX one of the biggest AHRA strips in the country back then, at one of their bigger meets, probably 1966. The AHRA was more liberal and quicker to adopt rules and classes for changes in the sport.
    Joel

[​IMG]

28. Race Artist

Race Artist

Benny Cardillo had the ex-Lawman S/SA 1964 sedan, it was a hemi car. The hardtop Lawman car was a wedge. After the '64 ex-Lawman sedan Cardillo ran the 1965 ex-Yankee Peddler car.
    Joel

29. WCD

WCD

. P.S, look at how big Fiberglass Trends is on the front. People thought it was one of Marv Eldridges cars. In later photos you won't see it. I rubbed it off so you could see my name better. Lol[/QUOTE]

Was there an effort to keep Fiberglass Trends going after Eldridge died? I wonder who got all the molds.

30. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

Was there an effort to keep Fiberglass Trends going after Eldridge died? I wonder who got all the molds.[/QUOTE]
    According to Mike D'Adario(Marv's wrench) Ray Alley ran the business for close to a year. Don't know who got the molds.