Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bicycles fitted with motors around car shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, Mar 4, 2012.

1. no55mad

no55mad

There seems to be a trend of car guys bringing bicycles to carshows with the aftemarket Chinese 49cc motors. Many of the motors are modified (typical car guys). Now I hear these motors can no longer be sold in Calif - 2 stroke polution generators I guess. Does anybody here play with these toys? I bought one for my wife while at the March Meet this weekend:eek:.

2. 2 strokes blow

3. Beau

Beau

The Chinese kits are not worth the scrap metal they are made out of.

There was a thread on here a while back about gas bikes.

My project as of last Summer. Next season will be totally different.

1946 Schwinn Excelsior (modified), 3 hp Briggs, home brew belt drive and jack shaft. I made the tank and did all the frame mods with basic tools.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before-

[​IMG]

4. daddio211

daddio211

Kits are pretty cheap. You can get several different models at www.bikeberry.com.

5. SATANSSHO4

SATANSSHO4

i got one. seized it up cheap china crap, replaced the motor.you can get them from kings motor bikes.fastest i got was 39mph

6. Beau

Beau

Chinese kits= JUNK. No matter who tunes them up.

Kits are cheap. But you need stronger wheels, better bearings, better brakes and higher pressure tires.

I could go on for days...

If you want to build one, use American engines.

7. no55mad

no55mad

Here is a pic of the unit. So far so good and hope it lasts a few miles. I understand there are several running around SoCal - any good stories?

Attached Files:

8. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I built one like four or five years ago. It was so much fun. I found if you take the muffler out it really goes. We used to do timed laps around the wreaking yards on sundays when i had my shop there. The course was under a half mile and the fastest time was 50 seconds with a light person. couple people wreaked it bad on the asphalt covered in gravel.

I used to ride the thing everywhere and go on night time beer runs with it. I had a private bar in my front yard, next to an ocktober fest and when i ran out of beer i would take the money i made and go get more. I could only carry an 18 pack for the two blocks.

One time i put it on this chopper bike i made, it has like four foot forks and the back is extend 6 inches with a bannana seat. It was hard to keep the front wheel down since i was sitting over the rear axle.

I got many hard miles out of mine. But it was always needing tinkering. I kinda wanna buy one of those kits and just put it away for 20 years.

9. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I've got the opposite. I have a '55 Harley Davidson Hummer missing the engine and tranny, but the rear sprocket is there. I've often thought about just finding a set of pedals for it...

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have a buddy who got one of those thinking he was going to ride it every day and have no problems. that lasted a couple weeks and ended when one of the many "mechanics" he had helping him keep it going stripped a hole somewhere in the motor.

now he had some guy hop up the motor with a big pipe and port matching. oh well, so long as he keeps it away from here.

11. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

This so cool. Nice work. Gary

12. Adam F

Adam F

13. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I joined the Hummer club, checked the ads and bought a running engine cheap for my Hummer. Its licensed and legal now

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have an old Worksman Trike......if my Iron Duke doesn't sell soon.....Well, let's just say it won't end well.

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's suck, compress, blow. The Chinese stuff sucks pretty much, but don't count 2 strokes out.

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've got one, but I'd never bring it near a car show or cruise. Bikes and cars don't mix in my opnion, even when they're as cool as Beau's!

17. Ob1

Ob1

Had pretty good luck with Chinese 4 strokes. Bought a 200cc Lifan engine off FeeBay, slapped it into a Honda XR200 frame. My daughter ran a season of enduro racing on it {finished 2nd} She moved onto a CR125, so the lil ChiCom Spl now does duty for enduro trail arrowing. I cant destroy it, and I have tried.

Also have a 50cc chicom in a Z50 frame, it does ok, but I think it would do better with a stock Honda intake manifold. It has electric start, and the intake measures about 7 inches long, to avoid the starter motor.

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have one, have not put it to use yet. The shop I bought it from told me, under 50cc is legal with no license plate, driver's license or insurance. This is in Ontario Canada. Lots of guys are buzzing around on them. The one I bought is a 49cc but they are mighty big cc's *cough80cccough*.

You might check your local laws. If it is small enough it might not need registration. If 2 strokes are illegal they do make 4 stroke models.

I just got mine for laughs after picking up a Norco cruiser bike at a yard sale. I thought they were kind of a cool toy.

19. Beau,

Dude we need some more details on your ride. Its killer!

-Shiny

20. Cerberus

Cerberus

I've been toying with the idea a couple years to mount a 50cc Honda engine on this three-wheeler. A bit too wide for swap meets tho. It's my son's. Was my brother-in-laws before that. Mine if I want it.

Attached Files:

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I've been thrown out of car shows with mine...

22. Larry T

Larry T

Store bought one (but I couldn't leave it alone and whacked around on it)

Attached Files:

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Cool! You have really captured the feel of a WW-1 era race bike. Thats slicker than goose crap.

24. mickeyc

mickeyc

Nice job on the bike.... However I think you need to use your skils to cover that chain drive unit. It looks like a meat grinder just waiting for a bite!

25. cl350rr

cl350rr

MickeyC, great project. what speed did you get out of that drive setup?

26. 36tbird

36tbird

What about the 'lectric bike conversions? Anyone tried those?

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there is a guy who commutes on one of those electric motor ones. it is a regular road bike with chainrings on both sides up front. the motor drives the crank, not the rear wheel. I see him zipping by once in a while pedaling and doing about 35 MPH on the flat ground.

28. I too have an original 1948 Whizzer,but would never drive it around in a car show

29. Larry T

Larry T

I wish this was an original. It's one of the knockoffs that they sell now. I ended up with it on a swap deal.
    Larry T

30. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

nice looking bike, what did you use to build it? thanks