Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Found this Old Chrysler...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dudford, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Typical Limey that I am, I need to inquire as to what this car I found, tucked away behind a barn, in deepest darkest UK is? I believe its a Chrysler 66 from sometime around 1930. I'm thinking I'll make an off on it but apparently it is missing a starter motor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers!!

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I don't think I would let a starter motor stop you! Cheers!!

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It's a Chrysler all right, from about 1930. They had quite a vogue in England and Europe in the late 20s and early 30s thanks to their performance and racing prowess. 2 Chryslers finished in the money at LeMans in 1929, among other successes.

They were avante garde in their engineering with high compression engine and hydraulic brakes.

That one looks good enough to be preserved or restored.

Here is a good place to look for info.

http://forums.aaca.org/

Scroll down to the Chrysler/Mopar section and ask away.

4. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Great looking ride

5. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Looks like a great start...if you get it will you restore it or hot rod it ???

6. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

7. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

that car is cool , great find ,

8. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Ill PM the address to send it to. Really a great find I know you will enjoy

9. Well on the basis of all your advice and my unfettered excitement i think i just have to have it. The only problem i envisage is getting parts in the UK but i guess the worlds alot smaller these days.

Id love to restore this but that will depend on cost... However, to hot rod it is my natural choice.

Thanks for the sage advice, appreciate it!

10. Labold

Labold

Good find, I'll keep an eye out for the top chopping thread.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

When you buy it get it into dry storage as quickly as possible. Cars of that age deteriorate rapidly if left outside.

12. 41 C28

41 C28

Congratulation on your discovery. It would make a beautiful restoration or a cool hotrod, either way old Mopars Rule.

13. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Sweet score. Buy that sucker quick. Surely you can find a starter for it somewhere. Try here in the classifieds, Mopar sights, and Ebay. Good Luck

14. The guy who owns it would like about £1000 I think I'll honour it as my dad reckons he's pretty much straight up. Does an offer of £950 seem fair to you seasoned professionals?

(Not sure what that'd be in $, I guess you add a third)

Cheers!

15. About $1600 USD, that's a steal IMO. Cool car.

16. nice looking car......

17. brianj

brianj

Jump on it. That seems pretty cheap.

18. Don't blow the deal by offering less. It's a steal at that price.

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It's a low price by American standards, and I notice from magazine ads that old cars normally sell MUCH higher in England than the US. In other words it's a snip. Similar cars have sold for thousands of pounds more than that in England and in Europe.

20. scotts52

scotts52

At that price I'll take 2 please.

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

22. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

23. It cost around $900.00 new, NADA places the low retail value at around $6K. in the US. By this time you should have already bought it, towed it home and sat in the seat making vroom vroom noises.:D

24. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

Just pay the asking price, before he changes his mind.

It is funny, but every time I pay asking price for something hard to find it works out to the good. Right after the cash changes hands, I have had guys tell me "Oh I think I have a box of parts.." I bought a '34 Harley basket case. Paid the price he had in the newspaper - just looked at the pile of milk crates and said "sold". A month later I see the guy at the local auto parts store - he recognizes me & tells me to swing by, he found some "more stuff for the bike" Turned out to be another milk crate with 3 transmissions piled in it.

B.

25. Ok, ok, I'll get my coat and head over there right now! I can hardly contain my excitement!!!

I knew joining this forum would be good... Good for me, bad for the Mrs.

26. Good buy.
    and for a 1000 pounds,you stole it...Im sure the folks here at the HAMB will help you locate a starter.
    Good luck with what ever you decide to do with it.

27. So a few hours have passed now. Did you get it ? I would restore that one.

28. R Pope

R Pope

Looks like a Series 66 2 passenger business coupe. $995, with the wire wheels extra. One of 2014 built, nice car!
    BTW, the "66" means that it could cruise all day at 66 MPH, so don't be in a big rush to hot rod it, it will keep up to traffic as is.
    I have a starter that will fit, but shipping might be pricey.
    One should show up closer anyway.

29. F&J

F&J

I've been away from early Mopars for a long time, but the styling on the hood and fenders is right at early 1930. The 66 should have had a "66" emblem in the center of the headlight bar, and I thoght there were Chrysler emblems at the very top of each headlight ring?

Is there a chance that it is a Model CJ? or 65?

30. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

that is one nice car , just dust it off slap a starter in it and go get a ice cream