Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech week threads: 3/1-3/15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zman, Mar 1, 2012.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

look at the title of this thread, there are numbers, and they have a meaning. :D

2. Anderson

Anderson

3. Joe Didio

Joe Didio

Well here goes, my chance to be technical.

T5 behind a Nailhead in a Model A

I'm using a Bendtsen's bellhouse kit for this install. The kit does not provide a lower bellhousing cover. I could not find a OE or aftermarket cover. To solve this delma I made one.

The trans is a Mustang T5 with an S10 tailshaft housing. The speedo location on the Mustang tailshaft does not match the location of the S10 (2 inches difference). I used a Dremel, a drill and a No. 10 AC crimp collar to relocated the gear. The dia. of the shaft where the gear is originally loacted is 1.110 inches the machined downed area where the gear needs to be relocated is 1.050 inches. A .030 wall thickness collar is needed. The AC crimp collar has a suitable ID and the wall thickness is .031. I used the Dremel to grind through the hardened shaft (about 1/16 inch) and then drilled a hole for the factory lock clip to secure the gear.

Attached pictures show the bellhousing cover and the reloacted speedo gear.

Attached Files:

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It really needs to be in its own thread, then post a link here, not the actual tech.

5. Joe Didio

Joe Didio

ZMAN - As soon as the post came up I knew I wasn't where I needed to be. With that said I'm lost on these &%*#* computers. My chance to be technical failed.

6. Joe Didio

Joe Didio

ZMAN - Back to my lack of knowledge. I have posted threads before (Start a new thread). Do I start a new thread and if so how do I "add a link to the thread"?

7. create another thread then post the address to the thread in this one

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It didn't fail, it's good tech, click this "Start a New Thread"
    And put all the info there, then let us know and we'll get it in here.

9. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

Tried to post, but all I got was this message;
    You have included 22 images in your message. You are limited to using 20 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.
    ...and I had only four photos. Tried it also with ~12 photos, but all I got was same message with info that I had used 50 photos.
    Photos were not attached, I used "insert image" -button.
    What could be done? Has this happened for someone else lately?
    This has worked properly before.

Wasted few hours... I'm going to sleep.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Don't give up though, just try again tomorrow, I always love your tech....

11. Joe Didio

Joe Didio

Hope I'm heading in the right direction. As instructed I started a new thread.

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's in the list now. Thanks.

13. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

14. Noland

Noland

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

one more time for the cheap seats... don't pm me ... post the link in here... thanks

18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My apologies to Z man. If I'd read the thread, I'd have known. I got it now! :)

Rock

19. Elrod

Elrod

20. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

21. Clevername

Clevername

22. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

23. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

24. the-rodster

the-rodster

25. This post will describe in detail how to take a pinstriping brush that has been maltreated by allowing it to sit bent over for an unspecified amount of time and return it to usefulness once more.

To begin:I acquired these 3 brushes from a friend of mine who operates an antique shop nearby and is always on the lookout for stuff I collect.

The first few pictures show how badly bent and distorted they are.I thought at first one of them was beyond repair but figured to give it a go anyway.

I began by selecting a can I had laying around the shop that was a bit longer than the brushes themselves.Taking some clamps used to hold fabrics I clamped the brushes to the side of the can and filled the can with lacquer thinner just up to where the brush hairs meet the wrapping.I didn't want to submerge the wrap as I thought the lacquer thinner might soften it an cause the hair to fall out.

I would periodically check the brushes to see how they were coming.After a couple days of soaking,I pulled them out and using a cleaning brush(similar to a toothbrush)with nylon bristles, very carefully started cleaning the brush hair working from the heel of the brush to the tip on both sides.If there seemed to be more residue,I put them back in to soak a little longer.

After I was satisfied that they were as clean as possible I washed them out with warm water and liquid dish soap and dried them.I then worked more liquid dish soap into the hair and shaped them as they are supposed to be and let it dry. Then I set them aside for a couple days.

I then cleaned out the dish soap by rinsing them in warm water and drying thoroughly.I took them out to the shop and liberally applied some oil(a mix of neatsfoot and Marvel Mystery oil)and stored them vertically(hair up)to allow the oil to "wick" into the hair under the wrap.This helps if paint gets in there;the oil will keep the paint from drying and ruining the brush.

After a day of soaking I selected one of the brushes(actually the one I thought couldn't be saved)and cleaning it with mineral spirits and loading it up with some black 1-Shot started pulling some lines.

The results;while not perfect show that with some getting used to this will once again be a serviceable brush.

I hope that others who have similarly damaged brushes will try this method.It will definitely save you the price of replacing a brush.

Attached Files:

26. Here are the pictures of the test piece I striped.Not the greatest but with a little practice with this brush I should improve.

Attached Files:

27. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

As always tech week is very enlightening.

Ago