Register now to get rid of these ads!

paint prep: aerosol glass cleaner?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Caballo, Mar 9, 2012.

1. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been reading Motorbook's/David Jacob's book How to Paint Your Car and they specifically mention using aerosol glass cleaner on the car to do cleaning of the body after using wax and grease remover. I've never heard of that before and I wonder if it does what they think. The book says it disperses and helps evaporate any water left over. I'd be more concerned about having residue from the cleaner but what do I know, I'm not a pro painter.

Has anyone here ever used this step in painting a car before you wipe down with a tack cloth?

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I use it as prep on all my small parts like brackets and covers. Seems to work well and cheaper than prepsolve.

3. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

my cheap ass boy wont buy final clean to wipe the cars so our painbter uses windex al the time....never has any problems, but not totally sure his process, think he just sprays a blue shop towel and wipes the car

4. bikersteve

bikersteve

All the time...works great........wax and grease remover followed by glass cleaner then tack cloth

5. I will be giving this a test run for sure.

6. I used to work in a body shop in the early 1970's and the body shop manager(who was also a custom painter)swore by Sprayway glass cleaner as a final prep before spraying.Never had a problem and we were doing all high end cars(Mercedes-Benz and Lamborghini).I believe the Sprayway brand was a non-ammoniated glass cleaner(it was a foam dispensed in a rattle can).

7. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

8. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

Never heard of this before, I'm gonna have to give it a try!

9. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, well then, its on the list of things to get.

10. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Seems pretty bold to me to touch it after degreaser/wax remover with anything but a tack cloth.

I'll pass on that one.

11. never heard of this either. but in the glass business I use spray away (aerosol) glass cleaner before a glue in windshield because it leaves no residue. so I guess it does make sense

12. Gary in da UP

Gary in da UP

I make my own water based final wash cleaner. Knocks down static and lifts what prep-sol won't. To a gallon of clean water add a few drops of dawn dish soap and a pint of rubbing alcohol. Pretty much equal to S-W wak47 water base cleaner and much cheaper.

13. wax and grease remover only removes oil based contaminants,alchohol based cleaners remove water based contaminants such as fingerprints,sweat, beverage rings ect.I have never used glass cleaner before but if its alchohol based and does not leave a residue it will probablt work.nice to know this if i need to do this.

14. Billy

Billy

X2 here. Never any issues.

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Panelwipe has always worked for me, Its cheap so can't see any reason to change.

16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I always use aerosol glass cleaner on cars before i pinstripe. helps get them extra clean and leaves no residue behind. Never thought of using it before painting big stuff.

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

My buddy does the same thing...swears by it!