Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Spirit of South Dakota LSR lakester/rear enigine roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Dec 31, 2010.

1. I will be there, the goal is to have the car as a roller and get a pre-tech done. As a one man show for this part of the build time and money is tight. But I am having fun working away. 6inarow aka Tom is 400 miles East working on the engine.

2. Between house and family time I got the front motor mounts tacked in place. According to Tom, but ask him for details, we are using a truck front mount? and a truck bellhousing?

A&A tranny mount backwards!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sharpedo

Sharpedo

Wow, I completely missed this thread before... all this going on and practically in my own backyard! Keep up the good work there Tman, count me as a fan! I've been reading more and more about bonneville for the last couple of years and have been in "some day" mode--thinking I'm gonna try to get out there and check it out this year or next, and may put together something later on. In the meantime I need to get my other projects back on track!

4. Just plan on taking the trip. It is a real easy days drive for us. Cheap if you camp at the bend. I am usually driving by myself and could use some help with gas $$$$$.

As for progress, got the last four uprights in last night. All this leaves for the drivers compartment is the side helmet bars and the diagonals. I had all kinds of fancy tube layouts but took the simple way out, tired of coping tubes!

5. A shot of the four uprights and a proposed layout of the diagonals, any input appreciated. We dont want the car to fold in half!

[​IMG]

6. looks very well triangulated to me Trent but what are you gonna do to the upper front loop down to your mid rail?

7. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looks pretty strong to me, How did your nose piece come out? just curious ,aside from being a mech at the omaha zoo ,I do exhibit work , Molds and casts, I make molds of everything from trees and rocks to skull casts ,I can mold and cast just about anything , PM me if you need any info , Tim Jones

8. Got the nose mocked up on the barstool again and the upper rails will run to the front suspension mounts and still fall just under the upper skin.

Where the heck were you a year ago when I started the mold! I have all the glass stuff and waiting for a good solid 60+ degree day before I can open the shop and make a stink. Wood furnace and fumes+bedroom above shop =not cool.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  9. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

HAHA a year ago I hadn't slipped back to the darkside we call race cars:D, I got away from it 17 years ago, just got the bug back this year, now I'm back to the point of no return:eek:,,, I've followed your build some but to tell you the truth I always figured a landspeed car took a bunch of guys to do, never relized you were doing the chassis as a one man band so to speak, are you gonna do a body and canopy, I worked on top fuel cars and funny cars in the 80's and 90's , was a diver or bottom end guy plus the fiberglass guy ,my resion mix's were hot batchs most of the time back then, not much time between rounds to do the lowwer end and fix the body if the driver f**ked up:confused: most of them don't know how to lift when things go wrong, they all thought they could drive out of it:mad: Like I said give me a shout if you need some info, what part of S Dak are you? Talk to you later, Tim Jones

10. Thanks for the offer, we will be in touch. I am doing ALL of the chassis fab body aND canopy and Tom is doing the engine in Brookings. I am in the Black Hills.

11. Dyce

Dyce

Bring it over on this side of the river and we'll make it all in aluminum!! Frame is looking great!! You thought about building the body and frame to accept other engines? Just in case.....

12. Of course we are making it to fit many different mills!:rolleyes:

Got two diagonals fit tonight in with all the life/family stuff.

13. Could it take a Y-Block? :rolleyes:

14. Of course, but then we go against the displacement classes and not the Vintage classes:(. Seth Hammond owns the D lakester record at 304 blown and 254 unblown. Be cool to have a true vintage OHV class. Or we just build a 300mph Y and go chase Seth, kinda like jousting Windmills Don Quixote style:eek::D Bring your A game, those things like turbos? :0

15. There's a few of them out there running around. Charlie will have one at Bonneville this year. ;) E/BMMP

16. Was just looking at some fresh shots of his new truck, slick!

17. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Keep up the good work Tman...so cool!!

18. rollingbones 1

rollingbones 1
    from UPSTATE NY

"Be cool to have a true vintage OHV class"
    I know e-mail Dan Warner,never mind I already tried that,didnt work very good.
    Not that Dan didnt give a go,seems no one eles liked it.
    So the hell with them, lets just keep pushing those vintage engines to the limit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your project looks great Trent.
    See ya in 157 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Keith.

19. Thanks Keith! See you soon as well! Dan is good folk as are you and your guys. Tim and I conspired tonight over my fucked up ideas for the Stovebolt. (Tom, I need you to answer teh batphone on this one!)

20. I don't think your ideas are F---ed up, I just know from trying that I couldn't make it work. Your coice of cylinder heads is a bit of an obstacle to overcome also. But hey! that's what "vintage" engines are all about. ;) I'm brain building a "hot" 223/262 in the mean time. :D

21. "brain building" is cheaper anyway!

22. any updates Trent????

23. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yeah, WTF are you doing out there in the middle of noplace SoDak? pics too bitch!
    :p

24. Not in the middle, in the West! Working away on verts and diagonals. got the DOM for my front axle mounts. Nothing picture worthy at the time. Next update should have front uprights and a fiberglass nose.

Was also time for a shop cleaning so I am finding workbenches and floor. A winter of shop time leads to a big mess. Which is funny, we had a warm winter but did not have the normal type days where I can open the south doors and even sweep out the shop due to the winds.

25. Been waiting to a less windy day to opent eh shop to glass the nose. Said teh hell with it and got the first layer of glass on tonight!A couple wrinkles but I feel good since I have never done this before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Hi Trent , is this your mold for your nose or will this be the finished piece , here's a link on molding a funny car body ,lots of info, same deal just bigger scale, http://ww2racing.com/smith-sattelite.html this is what my funny car body went through before I got it , Tim Jones

27. By the looks of your spelling and sentence structure I think you have inhaled too much already.

28. That 3" keypad did me in!

29. Trent are you making cone head hats??????????

30. Carl, if the coneheads get me to 200 and change I will kiss Aykroyds ass!

This is the 2nd and third layers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]