Register now to get rid of these ads!

new guy, first build, old 47 olds

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Medic1983, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Hey everyone
    i just bought a 47 olds sport coupe?? or coupe

its basically a shell, have a lot of work ahead of me

my first build , cant wait

site is awesome, looks like lots of info, looking forward to going through it

Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Nice car. I have my popcorn anyone have a beer they can toss me?:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  3. spikez57

spikez57

Welcome from Ohio..

4. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Welcome from Ga

Grommet

5. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

Good times ... good times keep us updated on the project.
    btw welcome to the hamb

6. Another Iowa welcome to you!

7. Thanks! will do!
    pick the car up tomorrow, cant wait :)

8. Just an update, got another car, for the frame, motor and drive train, got the frame out yesterday, that was fun :| , and it will be sent off to be sand blasted

the coupe body has been totally stripped except for the doors, cut the old floor out, have to start rebuilding that and can put it on the new clean frame when it comes back

the parts car is a 1949 olds 4 door, according to the books i have it should be the same wheel base, only difference i can see is two of the body mounts are a bit smaller, but no problem because my floor will be custom anyways, and my coupe would have had a hydromatic trans, and i hear the reverse goes first in them so this car has three on the tree i believe,

any tips for getting this big six started? id like to have it running so i can at least have something to move the car easily until i can get a rocket 88 motor maybe

but other then that, what do you think so far?

Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  9. So heres an update, got the coupe body on the new frame, well sandblasted and painted, just like new.

my buddy tells me i should try and channel the body, which i have to build an entirely new floor anyways, but this being my first project, probably just build a straight forward floor

or what do you guys think? would channeling be a lot more work then i already have?

Attached Files:

10. 60 ford

60 ford

Welcome from Indiana.

11. sawzall

sawzall

welcome...

I've always wondered about the 49 frames fitting.. I've seen several and always thought they looked very very close..

do you know if your car is a model 66, 68 76, 78 or 98?

do you have front fenders hood and associated parts?

because.. you guessed it.. 60's, 70's and 98 cars all had different front sheet metal

just finished my 7 year (?) battle with this 48 model 66 wagon..
    [​IMG]

12. Thanks Sawzall, You're car looks great!

i believe its a 47 sport coupe?? the model number is a 35-27
    i dont see alot about sport coupes on the net though, so i just call it a 66 club coupe.....

according to this book I have thats what it is, and the 49 frame should be the same wheel base, but i have noticed the body mounts are a little different, the front and the back seem the same

and i have the original hood that came with the car, and the guy had front and rear fenders that he got from down south somewhere, that are hopefully the right ones!! the back ones seemed to fit when i held them up to the body, but the front, i will cross that bridge when i get to it i guess

and i didnt highlight the book, the guy before me did......:(

13. Im trying to upload pics of this book i have but its not letting me,
    its a 46-57 parts and body catalogue

tells a lot of things including wheel base , decoding the serial number, exploded diagrams of parts, stuff like that, came with the car, ill try and upload the pics tomorrow again, doesnt seem to be working right now

14. Got the pics to upload, i think they were just too big, so this is that book i was talking about

Attached Files:

15. And here are the front fenders, and the hood

Attached Files:

16. Orn

Orn

Welcome! You got good taste when buying a project…;)

I have a 1947 club coupe series 66 project my self. When I look at your pics and compared the front of your frame to mine there’s some differences. Take a look at my pics on the front cross beam.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Hey Orn, Nice car :)

I see that, they seem to be a bit different in the front, i wonder if it will affect much, maybe just have to fab up some new bumper brackets? i hope its that easy lol

once i get the body bolted down i want to try and fit the fenders and hood, just to see the car some what complete, and see if everything is going to work

is your car done or still working on it?

18. Orn

Orn

Its a still going project and I'm hoping to have it drivable before summer.

19. californiabob

californiabob
    from Tucson, AZ

Great progress on your project. I am new to this forum today. My project is a 1940 Buick Super 4 door which I plan to turn into a sort of resto-mod woodie. I have the body off the frame and have been researching what to do about the front suspension/brakes. There are posts in other places showing later GM parts being substituted in with a little drilling and welding for the top A-Arm bracket to get to ball joints and disc brakes. Have not decided if that is the best approach for me. Are your 47 Olds lower A-Arms 19.75 inches from the inner pivot center to the outer pivot center where it attaches to the lower part of the king pin. [At least that's what I think all of the parts are called :) ] - Thanks if you get a chance to check!!!

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Body style 47-3527 is a sports coupe with full width rear seat, 'A' body '66'. I know the fender spears on my '76' ('B' body) are longer than a '66' however your fender spears will fit a '98' which makes me think that '98' front sheet metal is interchangeable with '66'. As stated all bodies (A, B and C) are totally different as are rear fenders. Glass in 'A' and 'B' bodies will interchange from what I was told? An interchange manual would clarify this.

21. Sorry Bob i am not sure about the measurement you need,

and Thanks Mgt for the info, I was messing around trying to fit the fenders and hood to the frame, Its going to work, its going to have to haha, not turning back now, but it will take a bit of massaging,

the first time ive ever seen it semi-together, actually looks like a car

Attached Files:

22. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from Indy. How did I miss this the first time around? Love the progress pics and nothing looks better than an Olds grill.

23. thanks Tommyd, my grill is in the attic waiting to be test fit , i think when i put it on, the front end is going to drop like 2 inches, that thing is heavy lol

24. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Welcome to Hamb your clipping right along on the 47 Olds coupe nice project :)

25. got the motor painted, had like a half inch thick layer of hardened gunk in some spots, what a pain, and its supposed to be metallic red, but in the florescent garage lights it almost looked pink :|

looks better in the sunlight

Attached Files:

26. Welcome to the H.A.M.B from Ga

27. Orn

Orn

Nice progress there! I think you should start a built thread in the "Hokey Ass Message Board" so more people can follow your work. :)

28. Probably because nobody puts build threads in the Intro yourself forum.:D

29. Welcome from Wisconsin. Cool ride.

30. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Welcome from Tennessee .