Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Ireland's 66 Fairlane

[​IMG]

2. Dunno! I found it on the web! I don't remember baney's Cammer at Woodburn, I did see Snake with the original Hawaiian. Doesn't really look like Woodburn.

3. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pic of dads progress so far....

4. jalopy45

jalopy45

There was a comp coupe in the 60's around Medford that used a Simca body called the Zombie, anyone have any pictures or information on it? Also remember a Model A sedan with a Studebaker 8 mounted in the drivers area and the driver sat over the rear end. I think the cars belonged to members of the Strip Saints or Wheelers car clubs.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  5. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

Danny Kilcup's gold Austin Healey with 292 Chevrolet at 1991 Labor Day "Fun Day" drags at P.I.R.. Probably one of his last races.

Attached Files:

6. Cool stuff!
    Where are all those old pictures that need to be scanned?

7. :)The Zombie coupe was a Southern Oregon Wheelers club car then we built a rail, Zombie 3, with Charles "Bub" Hewitt doing the driving! Takes me to far back to remember all the guys but, Glen Cave (maybe Paul) had a Studebaker conastoga wagon that ran at the old agate Road strip in Camp White. Also had a flagger there that was called Barney Oil Can,,,used to do a back flip every once in awhile and watch the new boys choke it! OOOOOOld time memories!

8. Babyearl

Babyearl

Here are a few pics; 1st This shows Tacoma Timing Assc pit pass circa 57 or 58 Shelton Wa
    2nd and 3rd Caviliers of Astoria club Dragster Pontiac powered
    4th My 37 coupe in Astoria 1957 ,, to the left 57 Push truck Killeen Tx 1964,, The T roadster E/A 250 6 cyl- 1964 Killeen Tx
    5th close up of 1958 Drag Shedule Shelton Wa

There are other pics that just aren't clear enough to post.

Attached Files:

9. jalopy45

jalopy45

Was able to get a few pics of pictures of the Southern Oregon Wheelers Zombie 1 coupe and Zombie 2 Comp Coupe.. Zombie 1 was originally nailhead powered and when they switched to a Hemi it was too nose heavy so they swithched to the rail chassis.,
    [​IMG] ,
    [​IMG]

10. COOL! Don't let this thread die!

11. MrModelT

MrModelT

I wont let it die!

Here are a few from my collection of my grandfather's photos. These were taken most likely at Scappose in the early to mid 50's:

Wayne Mahaffey's '35 Ford, flathead Cad mill. First car from the NW to be featured in HRM.

[​IMG]

Justin "Jug" George in his '27 lakester. Ran 152 mph at Bonneville 1952

[​IMG]

The "Pacers" club car (Grandpa was a member) with Wes Strohecker at the wheel.

[​IMG]

Ken Austin's '27 T coupe:

[​IMG]

Gary Guthrey's '32 5-window:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miles Thieberg's '32

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ron Delong's new Jag:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..I wish..

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  12. MrModelT

MrModelT

13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Clayton, bitchin pictures. Thanks for sharing.

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Clayton,
    Great pictures, I have never seen Ken Austin's "T" coupe with a 6 in it. It had a flathead in it when he sold it to Gordon Sully. Al Drake and Al Rogers should be able to identify some of those other cars. Wayne Miller has some good pics taken at Scappose as well. Maybe we can get them scanned and posted. Great history, thanks for posting.

15. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks guys!

My Grandfather (Thor Sanden Jr.) was a "Pacer" during the 1950's. I got these from Grandma after he passed 10 years ago in an old cigar box. This is just a hand full of the best ones...but there are ALLOT more. I also have about 30 or 35 Kodachrome color images of the Scappose at this same time. I have spoken to Al Drake who was really interested in the color prints because he did not think any other color photos, except for the two that he has, existed.

Thanks to him and few other Pacers members (Mike Foster, Gordon Anderson, etc) I have some of the info on the cars pictured her......just didn't have my notes when I posted them. :D

...of course, I would always love to learn everything I can before its gone..

I'm trying to get the color photos scanned too...when I do, I'll post them.

16. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

I knew a nice old guy here in Portland named Dick Martin. He was an old time racer from the late 40's to 50's. Raced old Model A bodied roadsters and such. He lived one heck of a life. He had a love of speed, be it on the road, water, or on the mountains skiing. He had lots of stories, and I loved to hear them. He was drag racing here in Portland in 1958, when his flywheel blew apart and came through the tranny tunnel and severed his right leg. He said the only reason he lived was a sheriff deputy who was watching the races ran up and stuck his finger in the severed artery, keeping him from bleeding to death. He says he was why scatter shields were needed in local racing after his accident. He was an avid skier, and became the first certified handicapped ski instructor in the country. It was funny to see his specially modified leg with a ski attached to it. He lived life hard right up to the day he dropped dead while doing his morning exercises at 82 years old in 2008.

Here is from his Obit:

"Working after school at a service station for .25 cents an hour started his career of working on and building cars. He had a 1930 Model A Roadster and his racing days began. He founded "The Speed Shop" while in College.

In 1946, Roadster racing gained in popularity and Dick was very successful, winning with his #14 car that he recently replicated. By 1947 he was selling the best speed equipment in the country. After college he worked for Francis Hopkins Car Dealership. He then had a a used Car lot and built his first muffler shop "Exhaust engineering". His bright yellow Exhaust Specialties & Parts "The Muffler Corner" is a landmark on the Corner of SE 7th & Belmont. It grew into 4 shops in Oregon & Washington. He also opened Auto Parts Warehouses, becoming a national distributor for performance auto parts. In 1993, he was inducted into the SEMA Industry Hall of Fame.

Dick's interest in racing never ended. He was part owner of the first rear engine Offy Indy car driven by local racer Len Sutton in 1964 and 1965.

After a 1958 drag racing accident cost him his leg, Dick developed equipment for amputee snow skiing. Working with the Portland Jaycees, the Flying Outriggers ski club was formed. In 1962 Dick taught the first classes and in 1964 the first National Amputee Ski Race was held at Mount Hood. Dick was a 9 time National Handicapped Ski Champion."

He started the "Bird Nest", a 1958-66 T-bird business as a hobby in the 1970s and loved Fords of all types.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  17. I need pics of Jerry Rith's first dragster, it may be sitting in a barn in an undislosed location. Don't ask!
    Where's those scanned pics guys?
    Keep this thread alive!

18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The purple Altered belonged to Marv Loy of Lake Oswego. The announcer at McMinnville (where this was shot) called the car "the plumber's nightmare", because of the wild intake's marv used to run. The green 32 coupe, was Ronnie Stevens who owned "Northwest Race Cars" before selling out to Jack Slawick. The Olds powered dragster is my old friend Ron Gorans.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
    Kan Kustom likes this.
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Another of my old dragster buddies, Bob "Whitey" Jenson, Beaverton. Whitey started racing Scapoose in the mid 50's. This car ran as Jr Fuel car until the class required a chromoly chassis. He switched to gas and installed a "2 shifter" trans. In about 73 Whitey bought a brand new Woody FED chassis that was built as a T/F car for Kenney Goodell. Kenney never even installed the engine, as he got a ride in a rear engined car. Whitey is still playing with hotrods.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  20. Good stuff Marty!
    Keep 'em coming.

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wow! What a great thread this is! I'm glad there are people who have kept all these old photos and shared them with us! Thanks guys!

22. Bob McCabe

Bob McCabe

Dave, I know a guy in Vancouver, WA that has Desoto Hemis. Do you want me to contact him? Bob

23. I so glad this is still goin. Great to see all the history. (especiall for a young'n such as myself)

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This flyer is from McMinnville in 64, I won the jacket at that race. It is a size 36, hard to believe it doesn't fit me anymore.

Attached Files:

25. 117harv

117harv

Picked up a July 64 Hot Rod mag yesterday, while going through it i found that this FED had not been posted and was from the WA OR area. It says that the FED was owned by Tip Angel and Mike Grimm and was painted blue matallic and Poncho powered. There is a pic of a FED a few pages back with the name Grimm mentioned, it has a Hemi though, maybe upgraded or a different car, hard to tell. I don't have my scanner hooked up but these pics came out ok.

Attached Files:

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Harv, The other dragster with the Hemi, would probably be Grimm,Albrich and Floyd. It was the second of a series of "The Northwind" dragsters, a AA/F car. It was also a Kent Fuller chassis with an Arnie Roberts body. Good runner, in the 7's. The Slo-Poks of Vancouver as a club were a powerful force in northwest drag racing in the 50's on up.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  27. [​IMG]

Goodell vs Ruth at Firebird.