Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost wedding band at Lincoln Swap Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thefryeguy, Mar 4, 2012.

1. A Rodder

A Rodder

Last february was our ten year anniversary. Having g lots of kids we really don't get much time to ourselves as far as getting away. Well we figured we just had to do it so we went to Hawaii. Had a great time, my wife gave me a wonderful new wedding band as her gift.

Fast forward three months and I drive up to Portland to pick a model A. I had taken the ring off in the car and we stopped at KFC and unbeknown to me when I hopped out it went with me. The next morning I realized what had happened and drove all the way back to scavenge. No luck.

As you said, it would have been easier if she was just pissed. Well she was more than just pissed she was sad and hurt as well.

...........all because of a car.

Hope it turns up for you.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That is a sad story, and avoidable. I never take my ring off so that type of thing can't happen.

Don't know why it was off, but the proper place for it was on your finger.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wedding ring is in my stash box on the dresser right were it has been for the last 40 years after I wore the design off it working on engines. The burn mark I got on it when it shorted out on something on a car is still on it too. I'm working on year 43 of marriage to the same woman now and will probably never wear the ring again but it still means the same thing it did 43 years ago even if it isn't on my finger.

4. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

This lady lost her ring 16 years ago and found it on a carrot that grew in her garden. She took it off at the kitchen sink and it disappeared. They surmise that it fell into potato peelings and found it's way to the garden as compost.

[​IMG]

Bump. Good luck.

5. A Rodder

A Rodder

I have sensitive skin. Sometimes get little tiny blisters around where my ring is. Should have put it in my console of the car.

6. Dirt Dobber

Dirt Dobber

Those of you who never take their rings off are fools. You'll be the ones in the ER getting it cut off or worse become a permanent part of an electrical circuit! I never wear mine and my wife understands.

7. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

a different kind of ring story.
    My dad was working his first day at the monkey wards mechanic shop years and years ago.
    A guy was climbing the wooden shelves they had there to get a part down. I guess his shoe was greasy or he was clumsy and he slipped, ring got caught on a nail and tore his finger off... Dad got the honor of being the new guy and driving him to the hospital.

8. chubbie

chubbie

rings for a working class man:confused: I saw a guy hanging by his ring, caught by his ring only and hung there! if we hadn't been there it would have been bad! he was lucky because the guys that have had this usually strip the hide off the bone!! I've heard to many stores of rings to ever want to wear one again.

I made a commitment to my wife and a ring is just a symbol to others.... I don't wear one!!! and it doesn't bother me my wife doesn't wear one either:confused:

9. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Don't give up, my friend Charlie Hanstrom got his wedding ring back 59 years after losing it under a pier and beam house doing a plumbing job, only 6 days after his wife gave it to him. He's a great guy and one of America's greatest generation:

January 17, 2005
    Hutto
    , Texas
    Charlie’s Wedding Ring: An early Valentine’s Day Story.
    On February 9, 1946 a spry, wiry young man, Charles E. Hanstrom, Jr. married his beautiful bride, Clarice (Anderson). As part of the wedding ceremony, Clarice placed a gold wedding band that she had purchased for him on his left hand as a token of her love. Charlie had recently served his country in the United States Army Air Corp beginning in 1942 and through the remainder of World War Two. After the war, Charlie had returned to his hometown to resume his profession of running the water works for the people of Hutto and working as the local plumber. Charlie’s father, Charles E. Hanstrom, Sr., had been one of Hutto’s most prominent citizens starting the water works in 1910, the ice company, the electric company and a cotton gin. Charlie had run the family business beginning in January of 1939 as his dad had died years much earlier in 1928. Life was good in Hutto following WWII. As this young Swedish couple shared their first married Valentine’s Day their future was very promising...
    On February 15, 1946, Ada May (Lockett) Farley was a widow lady in need of help with a plumbing problem at her 305 East Street Victorian home. And of course, Charlie came to her rescue. Ada had lived in this house for many years with her husband, Halley A. “Hal” Farley, who had died nearly seven years prior on July 1, 1939. The Farleys did not have any children, but many relatives. The Farley families had been amongst the earliest settlers of the Hutto community. Ada’s home was a house built in 1896 in the Railroad Addition of Hutto that had been established after the Great International Northern Rail Road had come through the area in 1876. James Emory Hutto, the man that the town site was named after, had sold fifty acres of land, reserving five acres for the railroad and selling forty-five acres to the New York and Texas Land Company that in turn had been subdivided and sold the land on which the Farley’s home was built.
    Cold wet and muddy after finishing the plumbing repairs; Charlie crawled out from under the wooden pier and beam foundation that kept the Farley house off of the ground. It was not until later that he looked at his finger on his left hand. It was naked; his wedding ring had been swallowed by the black gumbo clay soil at the Farley house.
    Just six days after Clarice and he had married, Charlie had lost his new 14K gold wedding band. Clarice, of course, still had her diamond wedding ring set. Charlie was distraught and looked over and over for his lost ring, but it was not to be found.
    Time passed on Charlie and Clarice had three children; Charles Thomas ”Chuck” Hanstrom, Aleda (Hanstrom) Crislip, Marilyn (Hanstrom) Boehm. Life was good and they both worked very hard. Charlie worked for 39 years with the city water works and even longer as a plumber. Clarice worked in banking for 28 years in Round Rock. Through the years, Charlie and Clarice were involved in community good on so many levels through their church, the Hutto Lions Club, their work, friends and family.
    History and events are oft interrelated. In October 19, 1965 Ada Farley died in Taylor and later in 1966 the home was sold to Lester Carter who lived there with his wife, Nell (Gainer) Carter. The Gainers are another longtime Hutto family. Lester and Nell raised their son and daughter in this home.
    In the fall of 2003, Charlie shared the story of his lost wedding ring with Mike Fowler who was then Mayor and very interested in local stories and the history of Hutto. In the late summer of 2004, Mike Fowler bought the Farley-Carter House from George Carter and told Charlie that he was welcome to renew his search anytime that he wanted.
    Almost fifty-nine years later, an interesting sequence of events took place. Priscilla Stroud, Hutto City Councilwoman Florence Winkler’s daughter, was friends with a member of the Austin Metal Detecting Club and asked him to call Mike Fowler for potential sites to metal detect. When called by Art Tiemann, the President of the Austin Metal Detecting Club, Mike Fowler remembered Charlie’s story and suggested that a search take place for Charlie’s wedding ring.
    At 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, January 15, 2005 as previously arranged the Austin Metal Detecting Club met with Mike Fowler at Henrietta the Hippo on the east side of East Street in the downtown area. (No story about Hutto is complete without at least the mention of hippos.) Mike had told Charlie that the search was on for Saturday morning and he was there as well. Charlie recanted his tale to the Austin Metal Detecting Club members and everyone proceeded to the Farley-Carter House. Mike let the members know that anything that they found on the property was for them to keep, except if Charlie’s ring was found.
    Hundreds of items were detected and retrieved by this enthusiastic group of sixteen people replete with the proper metal detecting equipment to undertake the job. On average metal detectors detect to a depth of 6 to 8 inches; with the majority of items found in the top three inches of soil. Detecting Club ethics require that disturbed soil should always be left in as undisturbed condition as possible. Most of the items found were junk metal. However a 1914 Maltese Cross, a 1905 Mexican centavo coin, many old and newer coins with emphasis on pennies and an 1890’s ornate iron door lockset minus the knobs were found.
    At about 10:30 a.m. Clarice came to the Farley-Carter house to check on the progress. Her hands were unadorned of jewelry. Clarice’s own wedding ring was in need of repair ;having cracked from age and almost sixty years of wear. At very close to 11:00 a.m., Blaine Nelson, the Secretary of the club, called out: “I’ve found it” and indeed she had. Like many years before, Blaine was now the hero and had come to Charlie’s aid as he had helped so many others. A bright gold ring in pristine condition stamped 14K was in her hand. The ring did not quite fit on Charlie’s finger, battered by many years of hard work, any longer and would need resizing. After celebration and digital pictures, it was Clarice who walked away wearing the newly found treasure of their past with full intent of seeing it back on Charlie’s wedding ring finger in the near future. On Sunday, January 16, 2005, Charlie Hanstrom wore his wedding band to church services at Hutto Methodist Church for all to see and the basics of this story were told from the pulpit. It doesn't take much to see how connected are people and events. Much history of personal and global impact had occurred over the past six decades while Charlie’s ring was buried in the Hutto dirt, now it was time to shine brightly once more.

10. Have you been tested to see if you have a nickel allergy? Small blisters under the skin and red dry cracking skin are signs. I went with a titanium ring for this reason

11. I keep mine in the wife's jewelry box,, I wore my wedding band for almost 20 years until it almost removed my finger in a accident,,I don't wear rings anymore.

I do hope someone honest finds it and you get your ring back.

Have you gotten in touch with the Lincoln Swap Meet officials? HRP

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  12. thefryeguy

thefryeguy
    from Kansas

Thanks to all for the great stories. It's nice to know I'm not the only one to have lost hist ring, and I do have hope I will get it back.

I have talked to the swap meet officials and the arena staff. I have done pretty much everything I can in regards to finding the ring. If Lincoln was nearer, I would have gone back and walked the grounds again. I have also posted a lost ad in the Lincoln Craigslist and in the Lincoln newspaper. I don't know what else I could do. Maybe start calling pawn shops...

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This thread was deleted... and rightfully so by one of our moderators. However, I like the sentiment here and want to see this guy get his ring back... So, I'm going to keep it open a little while longer.

14. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

I almost lost mine on our honeymoon to Clearwater Beach, FL. We were messing around in the water and I flet it slip off my finger and saw it fluttering through the water...and caught it!

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sometimes true but not always. I worked for many years (over 30) in heavy industry construction and maintenance as a welder and working with gloves on never had a problem.

That isn't always true but I never had an issue,and yes I have seen the incident reports of those who have.

I wear my ring as a symbol of my marriage and my commitment to my wife. She appreciates it.

The small blisters are definitely a sign of an allergy and should be investigated.

I know of one guy who didn't like wearing rings so he had a very nice design tattooed around his finger to serve as his wedding ring.

And yes he stayed married to the same woman :)

16. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

a friend of mine lost his ring while out hunting.
    his wife replaced it,now its on a chain around his neck.
    he prefers to wear a chain.

17. thefryeguy

thefryeguy
    from Kansas

I think maybe a tattoed replacement ring is in order. Doubt that'll get caught on anything. Plus, I plan on staying married so it's okay that it's permanent.

Thanks for the support of all. Maybe it'll turn up years from now. I hope they keep my information.

18. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Jim Snyder who is active with the Ne./Ia. car council is aware of the situation & I'm certain he will make info. available at the monthly council meetings which will reach all car club representatives. Contact info. is in the council event book or email;[email protected] Good luck,Ron Baker