Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Our "New" imported '39 Coupe here in Australia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot-rod dude, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Howdy folks.

I found this add on the Hemmings website and quite frankly, I was excited. :rolleyes:

I thought I better check out ebay as well to see if there was any rush to buy it and there it was!:eek: It was listed there as well with a "BUY IT NOW" feature! :eek::eek:!! Holy decisions dude, a quickly arranged family meeting was held in front of the computer moniter and it was decided at 5.32 pm on the 15 of November 2011 that the kids should both left click the mouse on the "BUY IT NOW" tab and this was to be our new car, what the hell. We needed a replacement for our recently sold '36 roadster.

Apparently the car has always? been a Californian car and has numerous owners over the years. The car spent quite some time in Poway, Southern California. It is a mint rust free car with and awsome body. We bought it from a really great couple in Altadena, California. I don't want to drop names on a public forum but if you have any info on it, I would love to hear about it with any names involved via P.M. Thanks, I respect peoples web privacy.

In evidence gathered from under the seat, there is a laminated card proudly stating that it was "restored, painted and upholstered in 1968" I dig old resto cars resurected in this fashion.

After a lengthy, frustrating and exhausting time arranging payment, freight, storage,shipping, quarantine, customs etc. etc. etc. , it finally arrived here in Adelaide, South Australia yesterday and after expecting the worst,we could not be happier with the car, she's a real peach. Thanks to the honest description in the add.

If you remember this car or have a story to tell about it, I would be gratefull to hear about it, Thanks. H.R.D.

Here are 2 photos of off the original add, taken in Hollywood somewhere I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pictures taken yesterday of it in the wash bay here in it's new home in Adelaide, South Australia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wow, got to be happy with that! What are your plan? It's pretty much perfect already.

3. Plans are for a right hand drive conversion A.S.A.P.so I can put some country miles up on it and try to wear it out as quickly as I can! H.R.D.

4. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

5. mj40's

mj40's

Nice car. Is the right hand drive a requirement over there. Here it is OK to have something different. Had a friend with a 32 roadster right had drive and several thought he was a mailman.

6. It is a requirement in S.A. if it is modified in any way from stock. I dont want to take all the fruit off of it as I like it just as is. I dont want to lift it either as I am afraid of heights. Thanks, H.R.D.

7. Very nice...

8. Super nice ride Dude - you just gotta be happy !!

Well done !!

Rat

9. farmer12

farmer12

Great score, well done. Looks awesome!!!

10. a bloke

a bloke

Man, that is a gorgeous car. Lucky kids!

11. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That sure is a cherry ride. I wouldn't change a thing on it either. Nice catch.

12. brady1929

brady1929

13. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

14. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Very nice indeed! Is that the original jefferson blue?

15. Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Weasel

Weasel

Yep that's a beautiful '39 De Luxe - just one thing - the LED tail lights look kinda tacky on an otherwise perfect car. Maybe some LED bulbs under stock tail light units with stock lens?

How about a tech feature on the RHD conversion?

17. fleet-master

fleet-master

hey Hotrod dude, theres one o' those in my shop... check it out :D:D:eek:

looks like you got a good score with yours though!!

Attached Files:

18. Oh gee, looks like your doing a big number on that one, streuth!

19. Im hearing you on the light issue, I agree.

Tech feature? Good idea! It's probably the easiest R.H.D. conversion ever when you think about it. Thanks for the nice comments folks.

Any one have some memories of it's history?

Thanks, H.R.D.

20. Jefferson blue? I thought it was Washington Blue. It was painted in 1968. It has an old look to it. I must study up on the Jefferson Blue colour you call it, Thanks, H.R.D.

21. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Geoff,

No doubt about you, you seem to be able to find the most amazing old rides out there.

well done,

now I have to tell you ..... washington blue ain't the new red

22. That's a beautiful looking coupe dude , looks like you scored a real honey .

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So you don't see the issue here?? Yeah its nice....er...gorgeous......... but there is one problem that can be rectified and I am willing to the big guy here and do what needs to be done.
    I am willing to accept the 39 (Provided you pay shipping) free of charge to you, yes you read that correctly I will take your car as my own (At your cost, if any) because thats the type of guy I am!!

Wow man that is nice, very VERY nice! Congratulations and I am only completely jealous!!

Doc.

24. Streuth, haha.

25. Should be done in a couple days!! Eh

26. elricho

elricho

Why do you have to convert it to rhd?????
    I cant understand how the laws can be so different from state to state!!
    Imho-it would be a shame to convert such a mint car.
    Just my two cents......

27. Thanks Mark, and thanks for the hospitality you guys extended to us, life long memories!

Thanks for the P.M. yes about the bits,when it happens, lets stay in touch!

Thanks Doc, you have good taste. Dont be jealous, the car is here for all of us to enjoy!:)

It will buff up nice, you watch!

Shame I know.The laws are different here, if it aint converted, it will just be a shed dwelling, dust gathering ornament. I'de prefer to drive the hell out of it my self and if it means major surgery, well so be it... no choice here, welcome to .... _ _!

28. The car went from Cali to Australia... Different over seas I guess

29. elricho

elricho

I understand that-but I have just bought a 51 merc from sleddnmatt,and I dont have to convert it to rhd!!!
    I live in the state next to HRD and it seems stupid that the laws can be so different!!!!

30. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

you rottrn lucky bastard enjoy the car its way cool