Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Race 2012, A Lap Around the Great Lakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TLB@HCG, Mar 8, 2012.

1. TLB@HCG

TLB@HCG

If you don't know (or don't care) about the Great Race, you should. These events bring out a BUNCH of rare cars with equally rare speed equipment. Period correct stuff is mandatory, so you'll see a bunch of weird speed parts for Hudsons, Packards, etc. but the Great Race also has a bunch of Model A's in attendance as well.

This year, the Great Race will be kicking off in Traverse City, Michigan, then crossing into Ontario, Canada, and back into the U.S. for the big finish at The Henry Ford in Dearborn, Michigan. I'm posting a map of all the different cities and towns the Great Race will be visiting...dates are June 23 to July 1, 2012. Total mileage on this trip will be 2,283 miles, and it's only available for cars built in '69 and earlier.

If you want more information, check out their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/greatracerally or http://www.greatrace.com

[​IMG]

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks for the headsup. I think I'll head up to Traverse City that first weekend and see the cars off. Its a beautiful area of Michigan.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Should I get to do the next build I'm planning, I'm entering it for the next Great Race after it's on the road. Gary

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  4. Harms Way

Harms Way

That actually looks like a fun run.

5. Thanks for bringing this up. I think I'll see about meeting them in Barrie Ontario.

6. Royalscadillacs

Royalscadillacs

that is cool, thanks for sharing. We spend a few weekends in Traverse City every summer, maybe I'll try to talk my gal into heading up there for the send off...

7. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

A few year ago One lap or the great race went through Minnesota, The highway patrol harassed the hell out of the entrants. The best part one of the cars harassed was entered by one of the national news networks and was caught on camera, and aired on the evening news. Our governor latter made a public apology.
    It is great to see the old cars being driven like that the is a vintage road rally every August west of the twin cities.

8. TLB@HCG

TLB@HCG

Traverse City will be a great place to see all the cars, and a very cool part of the country! We're looking forward to being there for the big finish in Dearborn at The Henry Ford on July 1st! They're running for a $118,000 purse this year!

9. What about Superior???? Thanks for the heads up!

10. haroldsrodshop

haroldsrodshop

I live near Watertown NY, I will be sure to be in town when then cars come through. Any events planned in the overnight towns?

11. TLB@HCG

TLB@HCG

We're getting close to Great Race time....each city listed on the map will have a huge event to welcome the cars and drivers into town. Should be pretty cool!

12. Torchie

Torchie

Looks like they are going right past my house !

13. tjm73

tjm73

Red Dots are overnight cities on the map. Watertown is an overnight city.

Wonder where in Fairport they are stopping for lunch. That's right by where I live and where my brother works.

14. TLB@HCG

TLB@HCG

Alright, so we're just a little over a week away from the start of the Great Race. Figured it would be a good time for a bump...any HAMBer's going to check it out?

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'd love to go, in a year or so, after I get to build a more suitable rod. In the mean time, are any participants going to do some daily posts? Hope so. Gary

16. Does anyone know the official route through Buffalo? the map looks like they are going right past my house, literally down my street.

17. dragass

dragass

I'll be around to see the cars as they are making an overnight stop in my town, Greater Sudbury. Should be interesting.

18. TLB@HCG

TLB@HCG

The official route is withheld tightly by the Great Race competition staff. The routes are not released until the morning of the day's course, so specific details about the route can not be released to the public.

19. TLB@HCG

TLB@HCG

You can check out http://www.greatrace.com for daily updates from the Great Race media staff, as well as a few drivers who have blogs on the site. All updates will appear on the home page. Not sure if you're into Facebook or not but the Great Race Facebook page will see lots of action during the event. The media staff will be posting pictures, videos and updates about the race during each day's competition. Here's a link for the Great Race Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/greatracerally

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'll check their web site then, as I'm no tweeter-facer. Gary