Register now to get rid of these ads!

Check out this farm fresh barn find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C-10 CST, Mar 7, 2012.

1. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Yes this really came out of an old wooden barn in northwest Illinois. 540 mile round trip and it's home safe and sound. It's a 1949 Chevy Fleetline with 68k original miles. It was last used at a campground as you would a golf cart so it didn't get many miles on it the last five years. History before that is still unknown. It took awhile to get it started due to a low battery, bad ground cable and non-functional choke. But once we got it started I was able to drive it up & down the road and up onto the trailer. I'm now in the process of changing all the fluids and working on bringing back the paint. The dash is perfect and all the gauges work. the seats have after market what I would call vintage seat covers. the door panels and headliner are original and pretty rough. The amazing thing is the head lights, tail lights, license plate lights and vintage turn signal indicator all work! I'm really looking forward to enjoying this old ride.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  2. Nice! Do the safety items and drive it!

3. Willy301

Willy301

Nice find, get her cleaned up, fix the safety stuff and drive the wheels off it!

4. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

You cleaning the pigeon poop off of it???

5. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

I spent $10.00 in quarters at the coin-op car wash before I even unloaded it. Then I have been hand washing areas before I started buffing.

6. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Thats really neat for a mor-door.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Only downside I can possibly see is it's a 4dr. but at this stage in my life I think I'd enjoy having a 4dr just so all of my senior friends could get in without climbing over the back of the front seat of a 2dr.:D Looks like the paint is really starting to come around and with almost everything else in working order I think "you did good".

Frank

8. F&J

F&J

Nice to see you have the mindset to wax it and make it look nice. Sure beats the "sh..teena" look...as in bird s..t

9. I think you bought a Fleetline, not a Fleetwood. Good lookin' car though.

10. Looks like its polishing up nice , nice ride enjoy it!

11. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

looks like its in nice shape. The paint cleaned up well also. nice score!

12. skoh73

skoh73

Nice ride! I love those fastback body styles. I can't believe the paint came back like that- very nice work!

13. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I saw that for sale on Craigslist a week or so ago in Illinois. I was mighty tempted - the price was pretty good, and the car looked pretty good. I have to get rid of my Bel Air before I can buy anything else though.

That was a good score. Congrats.

Thor

14. hvychvy

hvychvy

Nice find, looks like it's gonna clean up nice.keep us posted.

15. Nice find......have fun with it!

16. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Wow! Nice find. I'm envious. It's nicer than mine, even the same original color. Like the man said, drive and enjoy it. I hope to see more about it here. I love the 4dr Fleetlines.

17. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Right on. Pictures.

So, it started up (with a jump, I assume), moved under it's own power, and STOPPED? Hasn't been in that barn long.

Nice.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

very cool. Fleetline Special is what you have there as noted by the lack of chrome above the beltline and the rubber gravel guards on the fronts of the rear "fenders".

if you haven't gotten one yet, you should get a catalog from Chevsofthe40s.com they have all sorts of parts for these cars

I can't believe that people would look at an original unmolested 63 year old car like that and even mention anything about it being a 4 door. goofballs.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  19. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

20. cederholm

cederholm

Killer ride! ...and the paint is starting to look great. More pics as you progress please.

~ Carl

21. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

That's one of those body styles that you don't really notice the extra ports of entry!

22. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

Great score!
    Amazing what a little rubbing compound will do.

23. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

It came with a lot of nice options: visor, fog lights, chrome gas lid trim, dual spot lights.

24. flathead okie

flathead okie

Breezes and bumper mount antenea, and headlight chromee thingee's too

25. JUST how I like them! Look after it!!

26. rampant150

rampant150

Very cool! How quickly did your polishing pad turn deep blue?

27. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thats a cream puff man , drive it and enjoy it ,lower the windows , put on a grin and go for a ride

28. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

29. magneto57

magneto57

SweeeeeeeeeeeT..............!!

30. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Yes 206tee I know it is a Fleetline not a Fleetwood, that was one of those late night typos. And yes 49ratfink it is a Special not a Deluxe. My first car back in 1975 was a 1950 2 door Fleetline Deluxe. The Deluxe sold for $79.00 more at the time and Chevrolet sold 3 times more Deluxes than the Specials. To give you an idea of how stripped the Specials are you only got one (drivers side) interior sun visor, the Deluxe had two.