Register now to get rid of these ads!

What gear oil to use in 5-speed transmission?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 8, 2012.

1. I'm confused about what to use in my transmission.

The 5-speed manual transmission is from a 1984 Mustang and I have meen told to use Dextron III and another parts guy said 50wt gear oil.

I know there are a lot of T-5 transmission in use what are you guys using,,recommend? HRP

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

I use Redline ATF in my T5

3. T-5's that were in the S-10 take Dextron tranny fruid. not sure about the t 56.

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I used Dexron in mine.

5. boutlaw

boutlaw

My understanding is that the non world class T-5 use 70 wt gear oil because of a gear difference and bronze syncros, but that the World Class T-5's use ATF fluid. They both take a bit under 3 qts. The T-5s all came with a tag that ID's the trans. The WC T-5 came out in about 85 I think, so your 84 may be a non WC. Check your tag to verify model before making a decision on lube. I'm sure all the info you could ever want to know could be googled to make sure.

6. pops90gt

pops90gt

Use the Dextron, call any Ford dealer.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Exactly. They can look it up and tell you what Ford used in it----what the guy who sweeps up at the adult bookstore says to use doesn't count for much.

8. Canus

Canus

Boutlaw is correct. Some older T-5s use Gear oil and newer T-s use ATF. If yours needs the gear oil and you use ATF or your tranny needs ATF and you use Gear oil you will soon be buying a new tranny. I would recommend you do some additional research before you possibly screw up a good tranny. Think you said your transmission come out of an 84 Mustang??? Look up what is correct for that transmission.

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

I have a GM service booklet for Non World Class T-5's.The only gear lube mentioned is Dextron 2. I know some use the slightly heavier "Syncromesh" oil (like a 10-30 motor oil ) or similar 70 weight gear oils.

10. yruhot likes this.
  11. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

The older T5s take gear oil, do not put ATF in it.

12. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

In the spring of 82 I bought a new S 10 with a T-5. It used ATF.
    Blind Elwood

mountainman2 and Bubba1955 like this.
  13. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's DEXTRON?

14. bobscogin

bobscogin

Dexron misspelled.

Bob

Hnstray and Hotrodmyk like this.
  15. bobscogin

bobscogin

Before anyone puts "gear oil" in a T5 with brass synchros, make sure it's not EP rated hypoid gear oil which contains sulfurized extreme pressure additives known to corrode brass. Use a manual transmission fluid or Dexron.

Bob

16. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Ford didnt offer the World Class T5 until 1985...
    ALL Ford T5's use Mercon Dexron II / III ATF but apparently thats not available any more so for NON-WORLD CLASS synthetic 50wt is preferred

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

T56 uses Dexron.

18. boutlaw

boutlaw

This exerpt taken from "Modern Driveline" webpage>>.>>>>>>>

Which type of oil is used in a Non World Class T-5?

70w gear oil, as there are no bearings under each gear and the syncro's are bronze with no linings.

Which type of oil is used in a World Class T-5?

ATF oil only. (About 3 qts.) There are two reasons, Reason one, each gear has a needle bearing under it that needs lighter weight oil, the second reason is the syncros are lined with carbon fiber just like the linings found in a automatic transmission. Synthetic or regular dino oil can be used. We recommend Amsoil ATF.

19. GM suggests Auto tranny oil for their 5 speeds. I don't know what Ford suggests.

20. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

1983-84 Mustang 5 speed trans lube was speced as 70 wt gear oil. 1985 up specs ATF. Though the transmissions in Fords and GM's were basically the same, lube specs were different. The Fords seemed to have fewer transmission problems than the GM vehicles did despite being used behind slightly more powerful engines.

21. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

HRP, got your answer yet???:D:eek:

22. thanks for the good info

23. yes,you are right ATF automatic transmission fluid,,got it at NAPA. HRP

24. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

As an old Ford Mechanic, all the 5 speed transmissions from Mustangs to pickups take ATF. That is Mercon, Dexron ATF. 80-90 is way too heavy, and will not give proper lubrication. That is only for the old cast iron 4 speed transmissions. I cold weather you won't be able to shift the modern 5-speed transmissions, and it won't do the bearings any good either.

25. oldsman is right. the first t5 came with gear lube we had to flush and refill with atf because of shifting problems.

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I worked at a Ford dealer in the late 70s and we had to drain every new stick tranny and put new gear oil in. The trannys were assembled in Mexico. I don't know what they filled them with but it was green like pea soup and stunk to high heaven.

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well, this is all clear as mud. My T5 tag 1352-145 translates to GM 1985-86 S-Truck. Non world class I think (flat plug in the front). Dexron or gear lube?

28. rodknocker

rodknocker

• This is what alldata says, different than everybody elses comments, so I'd call ford too
      [

1984 Ford Mustang V8-302 5.0L VIN M 4-bbl HP

Vehicle » Transmission and Drivetrain » Manual Transmission/Transaxle » Fluid - M/T » Specifications
      <table class="table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td> </td> <td style="width: 90%;"><table class="table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td style="height: 20px; vertical-align: middle; text-align: right;">
      </td> </tr> <tr><td><table class="table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td style="text-align: center; padding: 10px; border: solid 1px #000000;">Type </td> <td style="text-align: center; padding: 10px; border: solid 1px #000000;">MA or FA(MERCON (R) V Automatic Transmission Fluid </td> </tr> <tr><td style="text-align: center; padding: 10px; border: solid 1px #000000;">CAPACITY, Refill: </td> <td style="text-align: center; padding: 10px; border: solid 1px #000000;">4-speed </td> <td style="text-align: center; padding: 10px; border: solid 1px #000000;">2.6 qt (US)</td> </tr> <tr><td style="text-align: center; padding: 10px; border: solid 1px #000000;">5-speed </td> <td style="text-align: center; padding: 10px; border: solid 1px #000000;">3.1 qt (US)</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr><td style="height: 20px; vertical-align: middle; text-align: right;"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

© 2013 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions

29. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

^^^^what he said is the correct way^^^^^