Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 F100 stance pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59flatbedford, Mar 6, 2012.

1. 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

Hey guys. I don't really post much on here mainly due to the fact that i have never really had a hamb friendly project. However i am seriously reconsidering the direction i might take with the 59 F100 ive had since i was 14. Fairly soon after i got this truck i decided that i would make it 4x4 and so then i started in on tearing it down and getting another frame for the 4x4 swap. This project has been on the back burner for at least 5 years now and just recently i have started thinking about it again and i have other 4x4 trucks but no hot rod. I am now reconsidering the 4x4 idea in possible favor of building a classy cruising 2wd pickup (im thinking 600-16 front and 6.50-16 rear tires on factory steel rims, three speed on the column, 292 y-block, etc). This will require finding an axle and building a custom chassis since the originals are long gone. What im needing from you guys is pictures of your 57-60 ford F100s and what suspension system you are running. I know there are several picture threads on here but most of them don't have specs with the pictures. Im trying to decide if i really want to do this and if i do what axle i should get (i.e. find a ford stock one in a junk yard or buy an aftermarket drop axle). Im not wanting the truck slammed on the ground or even really close to the ground at all, just something with a nice stance that i can still drive through pot holes that swallow hondas. Show me what ya got and im open to all opinions.

2. Tacho

Tacho

Throw up some pics of your truck so people can point things out and give advice as to what you can do.

3. 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

well its pretty much a stratch build. i tore this truck apart 6 years ago or better to start doing rust repair and it really hasn't made much progress. right now i have basically a cab with no floor and pieces of the front clip.

4. 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

Anyone? I know there is a lot of bad ass F100s of this style on here. I would settle for a link to some different set ups.

5. RAVENS29

RAVENS29
    from n/a

keep lookin around on here and you'll find something!

6. Do a search for 57 - 60 ford trucks. I think there is a thread on here

7. 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

Yea ive been looking at pictures for days and there are some really cool truck on this site. Only problem is that most of the picture threads don't list specs along with the truck unless its something really crazy which is not what im going for. Just trying to get ideas so i know whether to start prowling the junk yards or to start saving up for an aftermarket drop axle.

8. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

Though my direction is probably different from yours, here are some pictures of my 59 F100. I have used a Fatman's Mustang II, with a power rack & pinion, for the front suspension . For the rear I have use a "flipped" approach to mount the rearend on top of the springs. I have a mild C-Notch in the frame to help with clearance issues. The kit that I used came with a Ford F1 that I bought for parts. It was made for the F1 but the front brackets worked fine for my 59. I did use the original springs with a leaf removed. The idea was to have a driver that was lower but not on the ground. The truck still has a Y-Block but now has a C-4 in place of the three on the tree. Let me know if you need more details.

Attached Files:

9. 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

your truck is one that i really liked looking through the picture threads. Yours is kinda the style that im after, just a classy cruising pickup. Something that you can picture pulling a model T framed speedster. I want mine a little higher and with a straight axle and maybe just a touch more rake. What size tires are you running? I have been thinking of 6.50-16s on the back and 6.00-16s on the front since i already have a full set of ford 5 hole 16in innie steel rims. Tires are a long long way off for this project but im trying to assemble a plan.

10. 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

[​IMG]

Maybe something kinda similar to this as far as ride height and stance. Maybe the owner of this truck will see this and post since i stole it from the picture thread.

11. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

Thank you for your kind comments. Tires are 2.25 70 15's on the front and 2.55 70 15's on the rear. Wheels are Wheel Vintiques - 15X6 front and 15X8 rear. You mention a T based speedster, as a point of interest - my son and I have the start of a 1915 Dodge track roadster. It is a future project as each of us is working on projects currently. Your ideas sound interesting. Please keep us posted on progress. lc

12. 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

Cool thanks for the info on the tires its good to know. Im looking at running tires that are quite a bit taller than yours so its good to be able to compare. Someday i would love to build a T based speedster. I know where there is a T frame with engine that i could get for probably free so i have been thinking about it lately. To many other projects right now though.

13. SixtyFord

SixtyFord

Here's my truck. I'm running a fatman Mustang II IFS up front with 400#/in springs (i'm not positive on the spring rate from memory, I can check if you'd like) and an axle flip in the rear. Over all its a drop of 4" in front and 6" rear. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

interesting how two trucks with the same suspension can sit completely different. Your truck is really slick looking. Not the kind of syle im going for on this build but i think its cool non the less.

15. jack orchard

jack orchard

59Flatbedford: I personally like the ride height and stance of the truck in your post. (couple inches higher in the rear than the front). I would like to see more pics of other trucks.

16. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

You could PM the owner for some specs.
    We have a stock suspension on our 1960. Not sure on the tires sizes though.

17. 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

18. SixtyFord

SixtyFord

Thanks for the kind words 59flatbedford. I know the style of my Truck is slightly O/T for this site, but I built it before I found this place and was "enlightened" :)

Personally I don't like a lot of rake but if your thinking about keeping the straight axle up front it shouldn't be too difficult to get some rake just by removing a leaf. I'm not sure how that would effect the ride with the reduced spring rate but it might be something to try, as it's cheap option.

19. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Both have Sid's 3 inch drop axles and flipped rear with mini c-notch in the frame. White one is running 16 inch rims in front to fill the space. More pictures on my homepage on how it was done.

[​IMG]

20. 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

Those are two of the other ones i really liked from the picture thread. Looks like i have a lot of research ahead of me. I want it to have a nice stance and ride pretty good (softer springs maybe) but i also don't want it on the ground and i also want to be able to do some light hauling and light towing. so many decisions.

21. cjmac

cjmac

Here are few different looks and ride heights.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012