Register now to get rid of these ads!

What should i offer on carport find lol

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rats28, Mar 7, 2012.

1. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

I was sent this picture today about this car.And was told the car is for sale so i asked the person that sent pic what they were asking he said all they say is make an offer!!! So i rode by the house to take a look no one was home the guy down the street said that the old black man had died about 4 years ago.And that it was a one owner car.He also said the car aint ran in about 15 years!! Im gonna try and go back tonmorrow and catch somebody there. Is this a 29 roadster or sport coupe? Sorry for the bad pic thats all i have that was sent to me and i did'nt want to snap any photo's without someone there. What should i offer these people? From what i could see in person looks like it is pretty solid.

Attached Files:

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

from the windshield posts I say it's a roadster - cabrios are body-colored and there's no way it's a sport coupe - no window frames with door. Pretty sure it's a 28/29 Model A Ford and it must be an SS (whitewalls)....last is just a joke - not an SS

I never (well, hardly ever) offer an opinion of value of a specific nature - actually against Federal Law for me to do so - I own an appraisal company.

dj

3. 562roadster

562roadster

Looks to be a 28-29 roadster.

4. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Im no expert in model A but that there would be a 30-31 roadster. Sport coupes top does not go down and has the same doors and cowl as a standard. Correct me if Im wrong. As far as price it would really depend on overall condition. Just be fair with the keeper of the car. Sometimes widows still have sentimental attatchment. Thats a ni e find. IMHO stand to be corrected I just a kid. Good luck .

5. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

i was just told the father and mother passed away the daughter lives in Texas that owns it now!!

6. Fenders

Fenders

"I don't know what it's worth, so make an offer."
    $5,000
    "Oh it's worth more than that."
    So all of a sudden you know what it's worth?

Some buyers of collectibles say, go get your offers, then come back and I will beat your best offer if I can.

Others say, GFYS.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Do you know what a Shay is? If not, do a search here. From that fuzzy pic it looks like a Shay to me.

8. I also think it may be a reproduction Ford called a Shay ! You will know quickly as they are made of fiberglass and they have Pinto engines quite often. They are not worth anywhere near what a real Model A Roadster is. It is kinda a wannabe car !

9. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

I guess I could ride by with a pellet gun and see if I hear I ting lol

10. You really need some better pics ... they are selling it, your interested , take some pics ... dont be shy!

11. RAVENS29

RAVENS29
    from n/a

buy it already!

12. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

For it to be one owner, you KNOW its a Shay. Last I heard a Shay was a $10,000 car!

13. Abomb

Abomb

From that picture, I can't even tell you if it's a ford. It mostly looks like a ford, but something's funny with the wheels.....it could be a Shay I suppose, they had 4 lug (pinto style hub) wire wheels. But it might well be a chevy for all I can see....if you are interested, you'll probably want a closer look sooner or later, Go get some better pictures, if someone asks you WTF are you doing here, tell them your interested in buying the car, and you need to see it up close before you can even think of making an offer. There's no way someone could even give you an educated guess on what that car is worth from that photo.

14. Abomb

Abomb

You probably heard that from someone trying to sell a Shay....it's a fiberglass bodied pinto, I wouldn't consider the nicest example in the nation worth 10K.

15. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It looks like a Shay to me too from the picture.

16. rld14

rld14

Exactly what I was thinking. I was at the auction last week (NADE) and saw out of the corner of my eye what I thought was an A roadster... I got all excited till I got within a few hundred feet. Pinto powered plasticar.

17. Southern Motors

Southern Motors

That was my first thought on seeing the photo, that reproduction Model A from the 1980's with the Pinto engine.

18. Dapostman

Dapostman

Bring a magnet when you go to look at it, you can tell instantly if it's steel or glass; they're also good for finding Bondo.

19. The Shay is not bad for what it is. They were built with new Ford running gear and sold through Ford dealerships. When I see one I think "Shriners" and "Parade Car."

What it is not is hot rod fodder. Nothing about it is right. Frame, suspension and even the body. One that has been sitting for 15 years is certainly not worth much, even to someone who knows what they are getting.

20. Abomb

Abomb

I'm not saying I wouldn't have a Shay, I'm just saying that I wouldn't pay much at all for one...

21. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The AMC dealership where I grew up had a black Shay, with flames no less. The mid to late 70's was a depressing time for new cars, no wonder they started reaching back into the past.

22. henry29

henry29

It looks like it has the antenna on the cowl, which is where it would be on a shay.

I would think it would be worth about $3,500 in that shape.

23. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I vote Shay also........your best bet is to get someone you trust to look at it with you....don't be like the 2 stupid guys on American Pickers when it comes to buying a car....those guys know a lot about most stuff, but their knowledge of cars is null and void........like I said.....If is a real A, it'll make your day...if it's a Shay...stay away.

24. I had a lot of fun with my Shay - in fact, I wish I'd never sold it - and they are worth more than you think.
    Willi

Attached Files:

25. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

If it is a shay offer $1000, if it is real steel, offer $4000-$5000, and see what they say. That is a good starting point. Just one man's opinion.

26. Offer a little less than you are willing to spend SHAY or not. They will either be offended or come back with what they think it is worth, then you can go from there.