Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need ideas for Building A Shoebox pick up or Ranchero

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retro Jim, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I am also toying with the idea of making a Ranchero out of the 50 Ford ! Any thoughts on this idea . I know they were made over seas but I love p/u and Ranchero ! I don't want a flat cut behind the front seat and do it that way but thinking of taking the roof and cutting the center out from side to side and bringing the front & rear together . The only problem I see would be a bubble looking top . Unless I make a short bed and have the front seat and extra space behind the seat similar to a cab & 1/2 truck . I guess maybe 2 to 3 extra feet behind the front seat for the spare tire , tools , speakers , and anything else to stick back there that would be in a trunk .
    I am open for all opinions bad or really bad and then maybe a tiny bit good ! :eek: I don't care how good they are or how bad you will bitch me out for cutting up a shoebox like that . I need HONESTY or I wouldn't ask !
    Come on and give me your response, ideas and comments no matter how bad or good they can be to my crazy idea !
    If there are some good books to get or a place on the internet someone knows about , please let me know .
    If this is going to be a major build I will just build the shoebox and enjoy it that way without any problems . I love the shoebox Ford so no matter what I do with it , it will be all mine to enjoys and put many miles on it 1
    Thanks again for all the help in advance !

Retro Jim <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

2. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I love a "ute" but after a carnut search...I could see craving a ranchero conversion.:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have been tosing the shoebox/ranchero idea around in my mind as well...I have a really rusty 4 door and some 2 door sedan doors for it... that one pictured above sure is nice I will see if I have any pics saved to add to the post.

4. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

ranchero? see bo huff's - best one yet!

5. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That one is really nice and just what I am thinking of . I am thinking on something along that line but I am wondering how much fabrication is involved . I have never done a chop so I might have to leave the roof at factory height but I need to find one that I can get a much closer look at . Even some good pictures would work .
    Now what if I took the roof of an older pick up and used that for the roof or should I keep the 50 Ford roof line ?
    If someone has some different pictures of the rear section of the roof that would also be good too .

Retro Jim

6. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

saw this at Mooneyes 2003

[​IMG]

7. Rikster

Rikster

One of my personal favorites made by Joe Bailon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the top is a lift of as well....

[​IMG]

And still around today

Another one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow they look great!

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine had one back in the '60's. It was done right, and I coveted it until he sold it (out of town).:rolleyes:

10. 63Compact

63Compact

Heres a real Aussie ute with a chop. They have a 41-48 style coupe roof and rear window.

[​IMG]

11. Shoeboxes have been growing on me, but I really like the looks of this!!

12. customcory

customcory

This is a little off topic, but when I was trying to build a clone of Balions pickup from a model, I found that a 36 Ford 3 or 5 window coupe top skin with the back window, looked and fit pretty much like the real car. I cant remember in the old magazine articles what it said he used, or if it did. :D

13. Clark

Clark

I've got a 48 Ford truck roof you can have.....BUT I have my doubts on it working. both Maroon cars look like the roof may be from a mid 50's ford truck.

What might be cool is a early 60's Chevy truck roof.
    Clark

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Clark ,
    I will have to stop down next week to take a look at the roof you have .
    I also need to talk with you about what I am looking into doing with it and see what you think . I have both a 49 & 50 Ford tudors so the options are there for one of them . I will still have my other shoebox that I want to keep as a hotrod or maybe build a gasser . Will have to think of the options and get something on paper so I have an idea at what I am looking at besides a ton of fab work

Retro Jim

15. Jim
    You'd have to beef the chassis or come up with a rag top or hard top chassis but it would be smooth as silk with a carson style top. Just an idea off the top of my head.

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Porknbeaner ,

Well to be honest with you , If I ever take away of the roof support from anything to rework it t all , I will will either "Z" the frame or Box in the frame totally so it can support all that weight when the roof support is removed . I would also make sure it had good jack stand in a few special places as well . I would also cross brace from front to back and side to side in a couple places so that nothing moves at all . That way I keeping in place and the lines will start in place hopefully ! There is a lot of structural material that would be removed when cutting the top off like that .

Thanks you for the good point as well !

Retro Jim

17. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

I used to see a 58 Chevy that I believe started as a wagon around here in Sacramento. Was super cool and had a ton of potential. Haven't seen it in a few years though.

18. koolkemp

koolkemp

I forgot about this thread lol...gonna start tacking mine together this summer, thinking chopped 3 window slanted b pillars ..for a start Hoping to get a photoshop done