Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Flatliner!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Aug 9, 2010.

1. fitzee

fitzee

Yes Im liking the 52 quarter now more then the chopped one.. funny you say move it back..I was just looking at that done last night. there is a few fords and mercs with chevy quarter extended back.. Not sure if I like it yet but will look into it.. as for at the car.Im thinking of heading out and do some welding on it. Im pumped about it now..

2. movingviolation

movingviolation

Nice job Fitzee! Was on West Coast... back Monday (will drop in) gone west again Tuesday.. Like the look of the worked rear quarter better than the stock side... but.. your car...your build!! It looks great!! Gonna be a head turner forsure!!

3. fitzee

fitzee

Oh out on busness!!lol with sleds I guess..lol.. was wondering where you were at.. You dont miss out on a pow wow like this..figure something was up.

4. movingviolation

movingviolation

We had association meeting...and yea, sleds were there... now home for 2 meetings..and gone again...lol

5. And a good fight to say the least . Man flatliner looks killer . The more I look at the torpedoback the more I like . Andy.

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn Tony! Almost looks like you know what you're doing! :D

Seriously, beautiful chop, nice shop, and good turnout! As I've said before, you and Bill are quite a pair. And apparently, quite dangerous!

7. movingviolation

movingviolation

I must admit... pictures DO NOT do this project justice. It is just right in the chop dept.. stance is right and it will be a head turner around these parts.

The one great thing about a local area build is that it sparks the flame under all of us with a project that seems to have stalled...

8. fitzee

fitzee

Got an hour at it tonight.Just fitting the driver side tops and door post. had to go to another job so night was cut short..Oh the chop was 4 at the front 4.5 in the middle and 3 at the back.. Was not sure on how much it was by the trunk.. Measured it today!! Bill Found the problem why the driver side was down.. Body was flexing at that rear body mount.. Jacked it up and ran a brace from the mount to the cross bar you put in.. problem fixed!!

9. fitzee

fitzee

Yes been fooling people for years!! lol..

10. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

I like the lines of that chop. Looks sweet.

11. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Excellent!
    That was bothering me a bit...but I figured the problem would show itself as you went thru the cutting and fitting.
    Not surprising the old girl has some flexing going on, considering she had no bottom to start with! LoL

12. fitzee

fitzee

Bill the problem on that side is all the inner part of the car around the window was rusty!! I find that strange!! lol

13. fitzee

fitzee

Well making my way around the car and fitting all the car togeather. Not going to fulling weld everthing yet till I have everthing figured out..Can see a few things I need to address and when you do the other side you always find some different and most times it is too late then and you end up chopping everthing up agian.. anyway here what she looks like with a top on the door.

Attached Files:

14. The door tops tie it together fitz . Looks good ...

15. spasecadet

spasecadet
    from PDX

I really like that you didn't sink the trunk opening. I think it makes for a much better chop. Looking really good! ~spasecadet

16. That is amazing Fitzee! The profile of your car looks fantastic.

I do have a novice question if you don't mind; after looking at the chop you performed and the chops by aw1950 and koolkemp, how do you know where to cut the top in order to get it to go back together? The A and B pillars seem to be pretty straight forward but the C pillars, especially on your car seem very complex. I've been following all three of these builds and am just amazed at the craftsmanship. Very well done.

17. fitzee

fitzee

yes it do Im happy with how it looks.

18. fitzee

fitzee

Yes that chop your talking about has alot of work on the insides of the quarters by the truck..I not a lover of the thickness of these trunks chopping it this way you you loose that.

19. fitzee

fitzee

We it is not my first chop and I have a good eye now for how metel moves as you cut it up. also I did alot of research first. I found a chop by Bass here on the hamb and much of what i did is much the same as his.. I just took more out!lol

20. Roy39

Roy39

Looking real good Fitz although Im not a lover of chopped tops.
    I hope you didnt mind all that dont chop stuff.
    Keep at it --- cant wait to see it on the road.

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

The old girl looks wicked with the door top on !! Hope you are making use of your snow day today and gettin some more time in on Flatliner!

22. I remember that chop by Bass and was thinking of it while reading through your progress. Research, research, research is the name of the game I suppose; especially for a novice like myself. Thank you for sharing your build on the HAMB. I've learned a lot!

23. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

that's totally unbelievable the states of the cars you, canadians, are starting with !! :eek::eek::eek::eek: it wouldn't even been a part car in the rest of the planet !! And you make it happen ! a rebirth ! :)

proportions are great ! ....and if you can really choose between 52 and 49 quarters, why not make them slanted like on Dave Autens 49 buick ? ;)

24. fitzee

fitzee

Ya but it was cleared up by dinner..I spent most of the day running around doing business stuff.. sorry never touched it.. I been having trouble with my right shoulder and today it is killing me.. need to get it checked so was not up to picking at it at all today.

25. fitzee

fitzee

I know you too well Roy..as you always said..to each there own..lol. This has lit a fire under me..I have alot of work to do to get this on the road but Ill keep plugging at it..dont have no other projects now to lead me away..lol

26. fitzee

fitzee

Two sides and a roof is all we need..she good from the door handles up!!lol. See a car with no holes around the windows!! she mint!! lol.. to costly to drag home project cars cause it will cost you 2 or 3 grand in shipping if your lucky..besides..anybody can build a custom from a mint car!! lol

27. fitzee

fitzee

You can never do enough research.. I am always looking for new ideas.. Ill never know everthing and by the time I do I would have forgotten half of it!! lol

28. joel torres

joel torres

just read the whole build and you got me motivated to attack my doors. I'm still stuck on how I'm going to fix them but i am looking at them differently.

29. fitzee

fitzee

Comes to doors and alot of rust I find it best to be on the car and closed.. Start from the inside and work out.. I have repaired alot of rusty doors and find this to be the best way.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  30. rusty addiction

rusty addiction